Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do you feel about enemies using mutated spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
The title effectively says it all, how do you feel? I've been playing this game off and on for quite a while now. One of the things that drives me completely batty is the consistent use of mutated spells by enemies. An example of this would be ice wyvern vs frozen kraken. Ice wyvern is a 4 pip spell with 80% accuracy, doing between 335 and 395 damage. Frozen kraken is a mutated 3 pip spell with 70% accuracy, doing between 520 and 580 damage. (Wizard101central) As you can see, that is quite the difference. Though naturally, we players have numerous other advantages over the enemy. That's why I'm wondering how other players feel about the use of these spells. I personally view it as a cheap way to artificially hike difficulty.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
jwheaton9634 on Jun 19, 2018 wrote:
The title effectively says it all, how do you feel? I've been playing this game off and on for quite a while now. One of the things that drives me completely batty is the consistent use of mutated spells by enemies. An example of this would be ice wyvern vs frozen kraken. Ice wyvern is a 4 pip spell with 80% accuracy, doing between 335 and 395 damage. Frozen kraken is a mutated 3 pip spell with 70% accuracy, doing between 520 and 580 damage. (Wizard101central) As you can see, that is quite the difference. Though naturally, we players have numerous other advantages over the enemy. That's why I'm wondering how other players feel about the use of these spells. I personally view it as a cheap way to artificially hike difficulty.
I actually LOVE that enemies do this!

It's fun, adds to the challenge, keeps us on our toes and reminds us we don't know everything. The enemy having different advantages to us feels right to me because we're not on the same side and not learning our magic from the same places. I like seeing the different animations too and hoping the spells either become trainable at some point or TC even if using them would just be for fun

I'm aware I could be in the minority with this though as I also LOVE cheating bosses and think bosses having pets to help them makes it more fun. I enjoy the victory more when I'm outnumbered and they're not even 'playing by the rules'

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I'm on the fence.

Although I agree with Victoria that once you've defeated a Cheating Boss there is a large sense of relief and satisfaction. While you are fighting said boss there is a large dose of frustration.

There is a fine balance in keeping things hard enough that there is a challenge as games impossible to beat soon lose their appeal. Also making it easy enough to overcome without any challenge at all as games that you breeze through also lose their appeal.

As Wizards is celebrating their 10th anniversary this year, I'd say KI has done a fine job of walking that narrow road.

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
jwheaton9634 on Jun 19, 2018 wrote:
I dont think it's cheap at all. in fact, i would love to be able to learn many of the spells in the game, including the one monsters use. If monster's used the same spells we did, it would be boring to see the same thing over and over. If we could learn more of the spells in the game, it would actually lend to more variety as well as strategy (looking beyond the 2 spells you pointed out)

Survivor
Jan 19, 2015
Considering most enemies don't have sun spells or an outgoing damage boost, it's really only fair.

For example, for three pips:

An enemy can cast Frozen Kraken, doing 520-580 with 70% percent accuracy
A player could cast a Colossal-enchanted Evil Snowman, doing 515-575 with 80% accuracy (roughly the same power as Frozen Kraken, with better accuracy)
or a player could cast an Epic-enchanted Evil Snowman, doing 540-600 with 80% accuracy (much stronger than Frozen Kraken)

And that's not even counting a player's boosts from gear or their greater access to traps and blades (treasure cards, item cards, trained spells like feint and elemental/spirit blade)