Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

All the wizards that sit and spin...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
...can u change the code to log them out after a set duration rotating in one spot? I mean the horror of having to log back in and losing 1 minute of their precious time cannot be worth the eyesore that is the afk wizard.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
T4T2FR34K on May 29, 2018 wrote:
...can u change the code to log them out after a set duration rotating in one spot? I mean the horror of having to log back in and losing 1 minute of their precious time cannot be worth the eyesore that is the afk wizard.
Why should this bother you at all? I spin if I know I'll be away for more than 15 - 20 minutes, sometimes logging back on is a hassle if you're computer is slow & old.
So just chill!

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
anecorbie on May 30, 2018 wrote:
Why should this bother you at all? I spin if I know I'll be away for more than 15 - 20 minutes, sometimes logging back on is a hassle if you're computer is slow & old.
So just chill!
Yep, sadly that applies to my main laptop too. Not sure if it's all the documents and software I have that's making it slow or simply because it's old, but I often find myself having to log on my other laptop instead, since I don't want to have to wait another 8 minutes for it to load again. But it's not exactly fun to play on a smaller laptop with a smaller screen lol. I'm not so used to typing on it, which is a nuisance. Besides, I don't really see how afk wizards are an eyesore though. Maybe just imagine the spinning as them doing ballerina twirls? Hopefully that fixes things.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I agree, it's a complete pain to have crowded servers. Get them out lolz

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sometimes spinners are AFK but sometimes they are still there.

I wouldn't have multiple accounts if spinning were not enabled because I use them to multi-task. I can wait on a hatch arriving on one account while using another account to do something else. I'm still watching the spinning wizard, I just don't have the inconvenience of having to keep making sure they've moved, or worse, miss moving them promptly enough and end up late for a hatch I've been waiting on because I have to log back in.

If I have a fishing assignment I go on one account and spin. I can then port each of my other wizards to them in turn to catch the fish without having to run multiple times to the same location.

I'll often be questing or doing a dungeon on one account while the other spins. During battles I click between accounts and chat with friends on both. Or help someone on one account while doing things on the other, spinning for a bit if one account needs more attention (eg running places etc).

If I want to look something up online I don't need to worry about the auto-logout if I spin while checking it...I'll often be messaging the friend who needed info while I am still spinning as I click back and forth between wiz and my browser. You can chat and spin at the same time.

Teleporting is easier, checking for friends and chatting to friends who are only connected on the other account etc can all be reasons to spin from time to time but don't necessarily mean you're not there.

This way I have zero time in game where I am not actively doing something fun, even when a hatch or meet-up is running late or I'm trying to catch a friend I haven't seen in a while. Not to forget that if accounts keep getting logged out the customer has to actively make the decision to log back in or do something else instead, but if they're still logged in playing more has no wait time. The more people play and the more accounts they can multi-task the more money they spend! It's certainly true for me anyway!

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Victoria FireHeart on May 30, 2018 wrote:
Sometimes spinners are AFK but sometimes they are still there.

I wouldn't have multiple accounts if spinning were not enabled because I use them to multi-task. I can wait on a hatch arriving on one account while using another account to do something else. I'm still watching the spinning wizard, I just don't have the inconvenience of having to keep making sure they've moved, or worse, miss moving them promptly enough and end up late for a hatch I've been waiting on because I have to log back in.

If I have a fishing assignment I go on one account and spin. I can then port each of my other wizards to them in turn to catch the fish without having to run multiple times to the same location.

I'll often be questing or doing a dungeon on one account while the other spins. During battles I click between accounts and chat with friends on both. Or help someone on one account while doing things on the other, spinning for a bit if one account needs more attention (eg running places etc).

If I want to look something up online I don't need to worry about the auto-logout if I spin while checking it...I'll often be messaging the friend who needed info while I am still spinning as I click back and forth between wiz and my browser. You can chat and spin at the same time.

Teleporting is easier, checking for friends and chatting to friends who are only connected on the other account etc can all be reasons to spin from time to time but don't necessarily mean you're not there.

This way I have zero time in game where I am not actively doing something fun, even when a hatch or meet-up is running late or I'm trying to catch a friend I haven't seen in a while. Not to forget that if accounts keep getting logged out the customer has to actively make the decision to log back in or do something else instead, but if they're still logged in playing more has no wait time. The more people play and the more accounts they can multi-task the more money they spend! It's certainly true for me anyway!
Exhausted just reading this. ;)

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Does a spinning wizard really bother you that much? Bother the game that much? You seem like it bothers you at your most core levels and this is just a game. Let people spin all they want, it really doesnt take anything away from the game. IF they were to log people out, what is an appropriate time? 5 seconds? 5 minutes? 5 hours? What is appropriate to you may not be appropriate to other people. I think people are choosing the silliest things to get upset about, and this would fall under that heading. By all means, believe what you want, and suggest things to improve the game, which is what you did. Just dont be surprised if other people find this idea silly. I think in order to really get momentum behind this, KI would have to publicly announce that it is a strain on their servers and is creating a problem, and they don't release that information.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
For those of us with ancient computers, logging back in can take upwards of 15 minutes. If you've got a high-speed computer that lets you log in within a minute or two, count yourself very fortunate.

When I set a wizard to spinning, usually it's because I either:

A) Had to pause midway through a dungeon and didn't want to lose my progress - in which case I'm spinning in my own little instance that is nowhere near anyone else or visible to them, so it couldn't possibly be "an eyesore" to you.

Or

B) I got called away for a brief period of time while I'm questing, pet training or gardening. It might take me longer than 10 minutes so I just port home and spin while I go take care of "real life" for a few minutes. If I'm spinning at my house, again, that has absolutely ZERO impact on you as a fellow player.

Why should everyone be bumped off the game just because a few players are spinning in an inconvenient location and/or an "eyesore" to you? You're the one who hates looking at them, the rest of us don't particularly care. Therefore, the onus is on you to solve your own problem. Instead of asking KI to reprogram the whole game and punish everyone else, a much simpler solution would be for you to just switch to a perfect realm. In a less crowded realm, you'll see very few spinners.

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I don't think this is a problem at all and I'm actually glad that it's available due to all the reasons mentioned above. Keep in mind a Wizard spinning has absolutely no effect over you- (unless maybe you're in a dungeon, but at that point, you've got bigger problems). I understand that in some games being afk may cause an unfair advantage-like for example if in a game where the team earns rewards together- you just sitting their while the others do all the work isn't fair. However, that is generally not the case in Wizard101. I have also come to the conclusion that some people are not here to incite conversation, but hate and discontent in an attempt for attention....

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ChicoValerian on May 31, 2018 wrote:
Exhausted just reading this. ;)
Haha!

I have never been known for my ability to be succinct

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
exp613 on Jun 1, 2018 wrote:
I don't think this is a problem at all and I'm actually glad that it's available due to all the reasons mentioned above. Keep in mind a Wizard spinning has absolutely no effect over you- (unless maybe you're in a dungeon, but at that point, you've got bigger problems). I understand that in some games being afk may cause an unfair advantage-like for example if in a game where the team earns rewards together- you just sitting their while the others do all the work isn't fair. However, that is generally not the case in Wizard101. I have also come to the conclusion that some people are not here to incite conversation, but hate and discontent in an attempt for attention....
Although I agree with the majority of this post, your last comment seems a bit unfair. We can't know the opening posters motives, it could be that it truly bugs him/her seeing a large number of spinning wizards.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 2, 2018 wrote:
Although I agree with the majority of this post, your last comment seems a bit unfair. We can't know the opening posters motives, it could be that it truly bugs him/her seeing a large number of spinning wizards.
I wholeheartedly disagree. While I will admit it may not be the nicest thing to say it is justified based on past performance. Even if you disagree with that- it's still my opinion and you it's a waste of time to try and change random people on the internet's opinions. So truthfully, I shouldn't be writing this, so I'll stop now and cease to comment off topic on this thread.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Victoria FireHeart on Jun 1, 2018 wrote:
Haha!

I have never been known for my ability to be succinct
it isn't the telling, it is all the click click click clicking involved in porting all your peeps here and there. Woosh!

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
A little petty to want something stopped just because you think its an eyesore.

Count me among those with a slow and old computer. It takes a good ten minutes for me to log in. I spin waiting to get a team under team up. I'll do something else while I am stuck waiting anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to get into something I can't solo.

I sometimes spin just because I can. I used to run my wizard around in a circle in the pet pavilion waiting to get into a derby. I still do it just for fun sometimes.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ChicoValerian on Jun 3, 2018 wrote:
it isn't the telling, it is all the click click click clicking involved in porting all your peeps here and there. Woosh!
Oh lol...and my response was ironically the most succinct post I've made

Yeah I play wiz to chill out and weirdly enough when my mind is racing with thoughts the best way to calm it is to multi-task loads of fun things. It seems the only way to push the work thoughts out and stop planning/working stuff out for real life. The best way to switch my mind off is to over-load it with other thoughts - fishing, gardening, questing, chatting...I just keep adding more distractions until that's all there is and I start to relax!

Explorer
Feb 19, 2010
A spinning wizard does not bother me. Its where they spin.
7 spinners in the hatchery is way to many and does not allow us to view the other players pets with ease.
Spinning on a Sigil is completely rude. Spinning in small shops is also not a good idea.
If I have to spin, I port to my home or go out of the traffic area.
So spin all you want, but at least do it in a place that you will not be in others way.

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
Come on, that isn't a good idea. On my old laptop, my computer would very often freeze or crash and it would just take 5 minutes to just log back into the computer. Even more annoying to just be kicked off completely the game as well. Also, if I need to do something for a bit, I'm sorry that I even got into the battle in the first place, but I still prefer not to be just kicked off.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I thinking spinning is a great idea KI came up with. It's the best way to let other players know you are away from the game. Yes, seeing spinning can get annoying. If i see too much of that, I switch to a less populated Realm.