Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Myth Minion Rework

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 01, 2009
So, I've been playing this game on and off since 2009. Something I've always noticed is that the balance of the schools have rarely changed, and that the bottom contender has always been one school: . This is a real letdown for me since I personally love 's aesthetic and playstyle, but the actual execution of the school makes it vastly inferior to other schools and most people have come to view making a character as doing a "challenge" mode version of the game.

I don't think 's primary damaging spells are the problem (although Minotaur and the like are annoying to use), but rather with how the minion mechanic in general works. It's kind of hard to coordinate with an NPC meant to assist you when they pick spells and targets at random. If the primary draw of a school is unreliable, then doesn't that make it unreliable as a whole? I think what would make an equal contender is if they had a unique trait with their minions: allowing the conjurer to directly control the spells the minion casts, and who on.

If you had a minion on the field, and the conjurer had just finished deciding on what spell to cast on who, it should rotate to the minion and the conjurer should be allowed to treat the minion as kind of a "second turn". However, the minion would not draw from the conjurer's deck, they would have the set of cards they normally cast. You just have control over what goes and where instead of leaving it completely up to chance.

I don't think this will fix every problem the school has. I don't know how holds up at the current endgame, or in PvP, and if the problems with the school are the same there as they are in the early game. But I think that this tweak to its core mechanic would allow the school to fully shine.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2009
I think one idea to improve myth would actually be to give the minions really high health, though there is the issue of low levels to consider, one idea would be a sort of unremovable life soak shield that adds 10,000 health to the minion. This may seem excessive, however most of the minions do not do much damage per round. The max average is around 200-400 damage on Vassanji or Talos. The golem does about 100. Making them able to outlast the wizard would mean you have a sturdy DOT, but would also mean you cannot trap or at the least, you cannot stack your traps, so this ability is really only useful on mobs who AOE and on cheating bosses who disallow traps (and the damage gain is minimal).

Another idea, which may be better, is to add a spell allowing you to clone your minion, either an x pip 1-3 or three seperate spells you get on levelling up. Monstrology already does this to an extent, but a sort of "Legion storm" ability would serve to double or triple minion damage without changing the base spell, and could easily be added at the end of avalon when such a spell is needed for azteca. This spell could also solve the problem of low AOE damage in Azteca and Khrysalis if used on Talos or Vassanji as they AOE often.