Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard Schools Reviewed - Which one is best?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 01, 2018
Hello there, thank you for reading my post! Before we get into it, this is not going to be a biased post. I know what I am talking about as I have used every school to at least level 20, and have decided to share my findings with the community on which one is the actual best.

Storm

Storm school is a very good school, very strong, but I would not recommend it for players without another character to train a decent pet. Storm has very low health, and without decent universal resist, will die fast. For me to get the sharpened blade spell on my storm, I had to buy treasure cards for it. That includes hex, feint, curse.

Storm is a very good team-player. When paired with a balance, and a life. They can be unstoppable. They can easily achieve a thousand damage with a blade or two. With the balance wizard, that is taken to a whole new level. With the life wizard, they can keep them alive while being bladed.

Ice

Ice is one of my least favourite schools, but this isn't a biased post. But why do I feel this way? Well, let's start by listing the obvious reasons. Ice has horrible damage, all of their gear gives low damage. Ice is good for new players who want to take it slow. Ice is considered a tank-school. Meaning they blade you, while taking damage from the enemies. If you're not the energetic type, I can recommend ice.

Ice are among the most favourite for teams, because of their ability to survive thousands of hits before dying.

Fire

This is probably my favourite school, like I said before. This isn't a biased post. Fire is probably the best for new players who want to get what they need. Fire is like a mix between Storm and Ice. It can deal decent amounts of damage, but also has medium health. Fire is great for light soloing, I soloed the game up to Zafaria. Where I currently am.

Fire is the best school for the well rounded players.

Life

Oh life, that awkward kid in the corner nobody thinks or talks to. But is life really that bad? The answer is no, life is a great team-player and is favoured just like ice. For a school that is built for healing, it has some decent damage and health. The accuracy is probably the biggest selling point for life. It nearly never fizzles. Again, it's for the slow, and social people.

Myth

Okay, this is the weirdest school on the list. Myth is probably the worst, next to ice. Why? Because the minions are basically useless. After the lower level worlds, you'll never use them. I mean never, myth is the spiritual equivalent to fire because the damage is good, but not ideal. The health is pretty good. But, unless you're that person who doesn't like being in a team. I wouldn't recommend it.

Death

The mysterious and creepy, death is great for solo players. With the ability to do damage, and get health back. You can solo easily. Not much to say.

Balance

The school I just tried on a rainy day. It ended up being my favourite. It is very well-rounded, and can hit almost as every school. Good stats, fun.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I like them all (that I have tried) but I haven't tried Balance. I think I wouldn't have the patience for Balance. Balance is for people who are OK with steady discipline and with patience. Uh...that's not me. Except for topics I'm very interested in, perhaps, and then I'm there. ("Know thyself.")

I think your post is so well written, also true and insightful and charming.

I find I pick which one to quest on (when there's time to do so) based on mood. When my mood matches your description for each school I go with that wizard.

Very true about Ice. I think it's a great one to learn on because it's tougher. On the other hand, learn prisms quickly because a lot of enemies are Ice. Same with Fire.

I find I enjoy playing my Myth a lot. I just don't use the Minions. Storm Minions are even worse! I just began to get along without them, get used to longer battles, or hire a Henchman. I solo most of the time, by choice. My tolerance level for bossy or rude is less than nil. Unfortunately it seems an epidemic (everywhere), in recent years.

Once in a while I meet a wonderful player by chance but then I'm either too reticent to make an overture to meet up again, or I don't see them log in often, or I forget which one they were. I wish we were able to make private notes on each person in our friend list. Most of the time I cannot recall where or how we met - not if it was more than a couple of days ago. (I mean, we're all cartoons and names can repeat.)

I really enjoy my Life wizard also. I mostly do Wizard City team ups. At that level I can still help with hitting and I can also heal. At the world I'm in now, I don't see many Life school monsters so that's good. The hitting power isn't great, and I'm anxious to receive my attack all spell. I don't know why I haven't yet. (What triggers that?)

I love how Storm gets strong spells quickly in a battle, but it does fizzle a lot. However I have a soft spot for my Stormy too.

Fire & Death are not current faves but are nice too.

Defender
May 17, 2014
This is fun! Let me add something from my own experience.

- I have a exalted fire. I've found it to be... sometimes super easy, sometimes super hard to solo. On more than a few bosses I needed to go into team up or buy henchmen, but overall i was able to solo most of the game. Health is a bit on the lower side but getting good resist can make up for it. It has good damage and a lot of AOEs and DOTs, and in my opinion it's more powerful than storm if it's in the right hands.

- My balance is around lvl 40. This school is NOT easy to solo, as there's a lot of balance bosses and mobs and you don't get a prism. You can always spectral blast, but they tend to put up elemental shields. Your damage is pretty bad until you get judgement, but your health is good and you get a few good healing spells. Overall this school becomes a beast at high levels in both PvP and team play. If you're running a high-level dungeon, you pretty much NEED a balance with you.

- My ice is level 20 so not much to say here. Good health and survivability, but as you mentioned it's a bit on the slow side. PvE wise, not the best, but PvP wise it's a MONSTER. Best pvp school in my opinion.

- Lvl 42. Best school to solo the game with as you almost never die but also dish out decent damage. I recommend getting a pet with an aoe, though. Or farming for deer knight. You don't get an aoe until level 48, and it can be a pain to go through all of those kill and collect quests without an aoe... Worst school in pvp, in my opinion.

- Quick to solo, bad in pvp. Little health, huge damage.

- I currently have a lvl 12 life which I am leveling up with my friend, who is death. Same as death, get a pet with an aoe and you're good to go. Not the best damage, but you're not meant to be a hitter. Pretty good health. Same as balance, life is a school which is a must in high level dungeons as you get some oP healing spells which are necessary for your team. Not sure how life fares in PvP, never tried it yet.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2018
Nicole ShadowSong on May 22, 2018 wrote:

- I have a exalted fire. I've found it to be... sometimes super easy, sometimes super hard to solo. On more than a few bosses I needed to go into team up or buy henchmen, but overall i was able to solo most of the game. Health is a bit on the lower side but getting good resist can make up for it. It has good damage and a lot of AOEs and DOTs, and in my opinion it's more powerful than storm if it's in the right hands.

- My balance is around lvl 40. This school is NOT easy to solo, as there's a lot of balance bosses and mobs and you don't get a prism. You can always spectral blast, but they tend to put up elemental shields. Your damage is pretty bad until you get judgement, but your health is good and you get a few good healing spells. Overall this school becomes a beast at high levels in both PvP and team play. If you're running a high-level dungeon, you pretty much NEED a balance with you.

- My ice is level 20 so not much to say here. Good health and survivability, but as you mentioned it's a bit on the slow side. PvE wise, not the best, but PvP wise it's a MONSTER. Best pvp school in my opinion.

- Lvl 42. Best school to solo the game with as you almost never die but also dish out decent damage. I recommend getting a pet with an aoe, though. Or farming for deer knight. You don't get an aoe until level 48, and it can be a pain to go through all of those kill and collect quests without an aoe... Worst school in pvp, in my opinion.

- I currently have a lvl 12 life which I am leveling up with my friend, who is death. Same as death, get a pet with an aoe and you're good to go. Not the best damage, but you're not meant to be a hitter. Pretty good health. Same as balance, life is a school which is a must in high level dungeons as you get some oP healing spells which are necessary for your team. Not sure how life fares in PvP, never tried it yet.
I totally agree with you. I would've added more information, but I ran out of room.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2017
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Nicole ShadowSong on May 22, 2018 wrote:

The lab assistant pet or whatever it is? I can't remember where it came from...but it has Death Frog. It's the Myth attack all enemy vomiting frog, but it vomits up bones.

It's really handy.

You can also get gear or a gem with attack all enemy. Doesn't have to be death school. (I know you didn't say it did.) Nightmare has a nice attack all meteor card. The sand worms have that sandstorm spell.