Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Drop Tokens

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
Buckle up, this is a long one.

So as I'm sure you are all aware, farming can be tedious. Like, really tedious. Going for one piece of gear (for stitching in my case) that you want can take days. I have been trying to get one of the glowing katanas for my death wizard for the last couple of days. I am using my ice, and so far I've tried farming both Oyotomi and the Death Oni (jade and peridot blades, I don't want the ruby or amethyst), but I've had zero luck. I get that farming has a place in games like W101, but I think it should stop at some point. I shouldn't be forced to spend an inordinate amount of time getting one piece of gear and have it be completely up to chance. That's time that I could spend progressing in other parts of the game.

My idea is this: After defeating a boss x number of times - say, 25-50, they will drop a token called "Oyotomi's Token" or "Death Oni's Token," depending on whatever boss it is. It will appear as a gift, like when you are gifted a crowns item, so you can open it whenever you want and it won't disappear. The number of times required to defeat the boss will depend on the difficulty and how long it takes to reach the boss. In my example, Oyotomi might require 50 defeats or more because you can resummon him in 5 seconds. The Death Oni, who is at the end of a dungeon, would require something lower, like 25-30 defeats. As an in between, let's use the Jade Oni. It has way higher health, so it takes longer to kill, but is readily accessible, so it would require something like 40 defeats. I should mention that these tokens will only be available for bosses who drop unique loot.

When you use the token, a menu will appear listing the boss's unique drops. You scroll through, pick the one you want, and then click "redeem token." You then receive that item in your inventory. For dungeons such as Darkmoor, only gear for your school would be listed. For bosses that drop school design gear or unique wands, all schools will be listed.

Now, to address a couple of questions that might pop up:

Q: Won't this conflict with KI policy about not revealing where items are found?
A: I don't believe so. By the time someone has been able to farm a boss 25-50 times (even if it's right after an update), you can be sure all of the drops will be listed on the W101 Central Wiki by the thousands of wizards who are playing at the same time. Just seeing the list of items isn't really going to spoil it for anyone who is farming. They already know the drops.

Q: You said in your first paragraph that you could be doing other things in the game. Isn't farming your choice?
A: That's true, I did say that. However, when I do something in a game, I do it for a purpose. In this case, it's to make my wizard look a certain way. Chance is a part of any game and random drops are fine, but at some point I should be guaranteed a reward for the work I am doing/have done.

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think.

P.S. I hate leprechaun pets by now.

Delver
Jan 30, 2015
I really like this idea...It doesn't remove the need to be dedicated to farming a boss, but gives a light at the end of the tunnel. That said, I would say the number of times to farm would have to range starting at 50 and only go up from there. And maybe certain items would cost one token (like a house item or something), while gear would cost more than one token.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
markopolo100 on Apr 18, 2018 wrote:
I really like this idea...It doesn't remove the need to be dedicated to farming a boss, but gives a light at the end of the tunnel. That said, I would say the number of times to farm would have to range starting at 50 and only go up from there. And maybe certain items would cost one token (like a house item or something), while gear would cost more than one token.
I get what you are saying, but more than one token for a piece of gear would be insane.

Let me explain - While farming the Death Oni, it will take me about 7 minutes (I timed it) to go through the entire dungeon, defeat the Oni, and collect my reward if I do it in the most efficient manner, the most efficient manner including marking/teleporting and not getting hit by weakness, fizzling, etc. If the enemies are really uncooperative (such as the Kakeda Spirit Slaves casting ice shields), it can take up to 9 minutes. I would say my average time is 7.5 minutes per run. Now, I know for a fact that I earned the Ninja Slayer and Nightstalker badges during my farming, meaning that I have defeated the Death Oni at least 40 times (150 pigs defeated divided by 4 pigs per run is 37.5, plus more runs after earning the badge). 40 x 7.5 = 300 minutes, or 5 hours of playing. It is extremely disheartening to know I've spent that much time basically doing nothing, because the Death Oni doesn't drop anything else that I want (sorry Leprechauns). I have also farmed Oyotomi for roughly 3 hours for the jade blade, so that's 8 hours total just trying to get a wand I want.

Combining this with the time farming Oakheart (took multiple days to get the hat), Spike (12 minutes per run), and Youkai, I have probably spent upwards of 13-14 hours, maybe more, farming stitching gear that I want for my death wizard. Who knows how much longer it will take to finally get a wand I want?

Like I said before, this is my choice. There is no requirement for my wizard to look any certain way, but for me (and others, I'm sure), having my character dressed in school clothing that looks good and matches is worth farming for. But at some point the game should tell me, "Hey, you've worked hard, have this one on us."

Now, when it comes to good gear from places like the Waterworks or Darkmoor, you can expect that by 25 runs you have everything. Sadly, this isn't the case for much of the school design gear.nospace

Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
Just wanted to post a quick update on this: After another half hour of farming (only 4 runs), I got the peridot blade. I don't know if someone at KI was pulling some strings, but I was genuinely excited. I still want my point to stand, however, that we need some amount of control over the drops we get. I still believe my drop token idea is a valid solution to the problem that some people just get it when they beat the boss for a quest (I met someone who told me this), while a farmer needs almost 50 tries and still has no solid guarantee other than the law of large numbers, which in itself is not a 100% guarantee anyway.