Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New super hard core side world

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
SparkleTude on Mar 15, 2018 wrote:
Everyone who feels KI is too easy is welcome to come and quest with me.

My wizards struggle...So I wind up hiring a fair number of henchmen. One reason I don't play so often any more. If I do, it's usually a few team ups maybe a Daily Task and quit.

I admire those of you who are super duper good at gaming but a lot of us aren't.
Are you serious about wanting people to quest with you? :P I can friend you on my Storm if you want lol

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Fred Frost on Mar 15, 2018 wrote:
I feel like this is turning into the already debated should worlds be challenging or easy enough to be completed by everyone. The reason why I made this thread was the idea of a SIDE world. Its already understood that the main worlds have to be able to be completed by the casual players. Thats why Im saying we need a super hard SIDE world. This is optional and is something not everyone has to do if they feel its to hard. Its just something to please the players that want more of a challenge. Beast man fight club is just one dungeon. It was fun doing the first time but after that there isnt really any reason to do it. Im just suggesting a hard side world that is not required. It would be completely optional. Its just to let the players that want a challenge have some fun.
I don't think that a side WORLD is a good idea. No not everyone will do it since it is a side world, but there are a fair number of casual players that will feel like they are missing out on the story if it's an entire world-myself included. I think that's why I have kept bringing up the already existing alternatives such as Skeleton Keys and other Dungeons. Because yeah-I may miss out on a dungeon's story- for example the freakin plant in Darkmoor- that's hard. However, to miss out on as much content as all of Grizzleheim and WinterTusk is way too much. There is too much of a story that I would be very disappointed in missing. Now, I'm the type of person I'd probably keep at it- but at the same time there is that younger player base that will move straight into complain mode and/or quit. This would be very detrimental because we want KI to do well so they can continue to make great content. (And yes, the reverse is true-I understand that too).

I think that KI is doing a fair job of trying to supply the hardcore content-but that the rewards are not what players want. I personally think that Badges are a great reward for this type of content. I wonder if they could implement some sort of "weekly leaderboard" or something for the hardcore areas- Skeleton Key areas or the like. Make it a bit more like PVP- that way you don't have to do it-but at the same time you totally can if you want to.

Actually that makes me think- I would daresay that many casual players are not that interested in PVP whereas some of the more "hardcore" ones definitely are (I think of the majority of "Wiz-Tubers" they always want the BEST possible gear etc.) What if the rewards at these hardcore dungeons were for PVP only? I think that might be a fair way. I guess the question goes: are there any casual PVP players that would find this incredibly unfavorable?

Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
This is a good Idea, It's content that can be niche and rewarding without getting in the way of the main players content. I really hope this becomes a thing, it sounds perfect for wiz and I'd even say for pirate too, but thats a different discussion.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
OK, let me see if I've got this.

Everyone plays the game differently and for different reasons, this has become VERY apparent reading this thread, my first post was just after me reading the first post but wow this really exploded. So my point on that, is that no one should try to change the reasons people play, because thats impossible, or the way they prefer they play, because thats also impossible. I see people trying to do that, and it just can't be done.

More to the point, I see this thread about, essentially, how to create a more difficult challenge for players who enjoy that sort of thing, but also a method of creating a reward for the efforts you put into said challenge that are not so OP people perceive them as necessary to play the game. Best way to do this,in my mind, would be a method of getting hardcore players to carry casuals into the difficult world so they could get gear. But, that would require a more joint and unified community, and since kingsisle won't allow guilds or more permanent methods of creating community among players for whatever reason, thats difficult as the only real option to do that is relying on the friendship and goodwill of the team up system, which is extremely imperfect.

So, second up is difficulty, split the battle into separate difficulty modes for greater effect, this would best be done in a world, as a single encounter can quickly get boring for a lot of people. Then, the only issue is gear, should the best gear be available regardless of difficulty? in my opinion no, but there is an option here, fundamentally changing the character and what they can do rather than giving them better gear. Essentially, this would feel more distinct, and as it changes how the games played rather than how powerful you are. like 3 shadow pips like someone mentioned before, more resist, etc.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
what I mean is, you know how in darkmoor you get a new spell for completing the dungeon? ( new and very Op spell can I here glowbug anyone?) in this instance you can get things like moon mastery (automatic not with amulet), more energy overall rather than just with gear, or recipe's for energy gear. More shadow chance (we're probably getting more shadow pip space regardless in future story worlds), practice points ( I really think we just need more these overall), actually just the ability to buy back our practice points would be nice. Unique little advantages that don't really break the game but give you and edge, we can also have good gear I feel, but I'm not sure how to properly implement that.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
BrahmShadow on Mar 16, 2018 wrote:
Are you serious about wanting people to quest with you? :P I can friend you on my Storm if you want lol
Yes I was and ty for those who have offered. But I am not sure how to find anybody in game. I'm not very good at showing up in game at specific, appointed times.

Most of the time I solo but sometimes it's fun to quest with people. I just ask people don't ask about real life (if you wanna talk about yours, that's your concern) as I like to just have fun and escape real life a while I guess. IDK

And that they don't start demanding I go on voice or webcam because, no. Lol

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Mar 19, 2018 wrote:
Yes I was and ty for those who have offered. But I am not sure how to find anybody in game. I'm not very good at showing up in game at specific, appointed times.

Most of the time I solo but sometimes it's fun to quest with people. I just ask people don't ask about real life (if you wanna talk about yours, that's your concern) as I like to just have fun and escape real life a while I guess. IDK

And that they don't start demanding I go on voice or webcam because, no. Lol
Agreed.

Anytime, I've tried to start or participate in a "Group Meet" specifically designed to gather the Message Board Denziens, it starts off decent enough but always peters out in a week or two.

It's one of the reasons I sign off with full (Wizard) name. If you see me, send me a friend request.

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Patrick Ravenbane on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
Comparing musicians to a character in Wizard101 is like comparing apples to orange. self nefed a wizard in the game is not crippling yourself. You still have all your parts functioning perfectly. You're just adjusting you gear for a better battle challenge vs. A musician refusing to use one hand which is crippling the body. "Encouraging them to find a better orchestra to try to play or for more difficult sheet music" convert that to gear on your wizard is exactly what Exp613 is talking about. If a battle is too easy for me,I nerfed myself by the what gear and enhancements i use to maintain the challenge. I don't feel crippled.
If you're comparing different fruit then comparing apples and oranges would be quite sensible

Obviously you are comfortable with nerfing your gear so the comparison perhaps makes little sense to you as the perspective from which I am coming makes no sense to you either. Personally the comparison is illustrative of my perspective...as a perfectionist, a musician and a wizard (among other things too lol).

The concept of what constitutes 'a challenge' is different for different people. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for challenges that require use of the resources available...otherwise we'd all be happy in Wizard City, nerfing and inhibiting ourselves in order to keep Lord Nightshade 'challenging'.

There is nothing wrong with either way - nerfing or wanting an opportunity for a rewarding higher challenge (eg double drops for double difficulty). Neither is 'better' than the other but it's important to understand both exist. While some people are happy to reduce their stats to challenge themselves, some are not able to feel that is a challenge because they know they're stronger than that and want to push their strength and strategy further with their best stats.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014

My wizards struggle...So I wind up hiring a fair number of henchmen. One reason I don't play so often any more. If I do, it's usually a few team ups maybe a Daily Task and quit.

I admire those of you who are super duper good at gaming but a lot of us aren't.
Nooooooo! Stop with the henchmen sparkle girl!

Seriously, if you want to meet in game we can arrange a time and place (remember the time zone, your wiz name and level so I know it's you...and allow for it to show on here too) and I'm happy to add you to my wizards to be your zero pip, zero crown minions haha

Let me know what suits you if you want to connect in game.

PS. I don't do outside game connections and I am an adult mum IRL....still waiting to grow up though and have been accused of being 'immature' because I think silly can be fun (but not in battle - they gotta be defeated!)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thank you from the bottom of my wizardly grizzardly heart for everyone who has offered to help.

I mostly am a curmudgeonly soloist though and am very bad at being in game at appointed times for various reasons which don't really matter here.

Big big hugs on offer to you all, though. Truly appreciated.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

SparkleTube way not save your crowns on henchmen? There'a a few us including me on this threat who willing to help you get through the quests you're having troubles with. I don't know your Time Zone but i'm Central, USA. Just give us the time, Realm and Area to meet in and Victoria FireHeart, I and who other will be there. Right now I'm playing my lower level Life wizard - Lvl 81 name Padrick :)

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I would personally like a hardcore world. Most of the content is to easy. We never need to use sharpens anymore, we never need to use enchants, blades or traps. AZTECA Is probably the hardest content in game. That is really weird knowing that lvl 70 content is harder then lvl 100+ content.

Let's just go out and say it: Levels are there for a specific reason. Levels do not show progression they show difficulty. When a game gets hard people will leave. This is natural. People who can't handle the content should not be there. King isle should stop taking pity on people who NEVER farm, practice. You cant expect to do hard content with water works gear.

Doing the higher levels is a privoluge not a right. We need to get better and accept this. Or the game will get boring. The fun is in adapting your gear and strategy. Family friendly or not a game is a game. Time we leave the old players behind and take a step up in the difficulty.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Victoria FireHeart on Mar 21, 2018 wrote:
If you're comparing different fruit then comparing apples and oranges would be quite sensible

Obviously you are comfortable with nerfing your gear so the comparison perhaps makes little sense to you as the perspective from which I am coming makes no sense to you either. Personally the comparison is illustrative of my perspective...as a perfectionist, a musician and a wizard (among other things too lol).

The concept of what constitutes 'a challenge' is different for different people. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for challenges that require use of the resources available...otherwise we'd all be happy in Wizard City, nerfing and inhibiting ourselves in order to keep Lord Nightshade 'challenging'.

There is nothing wrong with either way - nerfing or wanting an opportunity for a rewarding higher challenge (eg double drops for double difficulty). Neither is 'better' than the other but it's important to understand both exist. While some people are happy to reduce their stats to challenge themselves, some are not able to feel that is a challenge because they know they're stronger than that and want to push their strength and strategy further with their best stats.
I understand what you are saying and you are correct for believe that. I'm not talking anyone in to playing differently. If someone wants to op their character for the battle they're in, that's their choice. Everyone is in control of their wizard's strength; boring or fun either by wanting to see numbers from the damage done to enemies or create their own difficulties which is challenging for many. My point is since wizard101 created this game for everyone of their own play style with the knack they have both hardcore and casual, there will be continuing nerfs perhaps causing number of players being bored often if they don't go with the flow. So thought I can help find an alternative solution for some of the players to keep their challenge going until KI adds a Hardcore Game Mode. Again, it's the wizard's choice how fun they want their game to go.

This post is for everyone else who may read this

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 23, 2018 wrote:
I would personally like a hardcore world. Most of the content is to easy. We never need to use sharpens anymore, we never need to use enchants, blades or traps. AZTECA Is probably the hardest content in game. That is really weird knowing that lvl 70 content is harder then lvl 100+ content.

Let's just go out and say it: Levels are there for a specific reason. Levels do not show progression they show difficulty. When a game gets hard people will leave. This is natural. People who can't handle the content should not be there. King isle should stop taking pity on people who NEVER farm, practice. You cant expect to do hard content with water works gear.

Doing the higher levels is a privoluge not a right. We need to get better and accept this. Or the game will get boring. The fun is in adapting your gear and strategy. Family friendly or not a game is a game. Time we leave the old players behind and take a step up in the difficulty.
" When a game gets hard people will leave. This is natural. People who can't handle the content should not be there. King isle should stop taking pity on people who NEVER farm, practice."

Just what the aim of any for-profit company should be: Drive the customers away?

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

EXCUSE ME? I feel your post is disturbing. Let me see If I understand this correctly. Are you suggesting that Kingsisle should favor the top hardcore aces like yourself and others to suit their needs over the casual players and those who can't handle hardcore contents shouldn't play? Leave old players behind? Isn't that being selfish? I'm sorry but I doubt very much Kingsisle would do that. Are you aware how many casual over true hardcore players are playing Wizard101? There are enough of them that KI ends up nerfing worlds and some battles to keep this game alive and strong. If it's fair for you to say what you said in your post, then let me go out and say this: If people are bored because they cant handle worlds / battle contents being nerfed and can't find an alternative solution to maintain their challenge, then perhaps Wizard101 IS NOT for them and need to move on. Is that fair too? no because this game is deigned for everyone with different strategy styles not just the best players. However I do agree having a hardcore side world is a good idea.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016

"Doing the higher levels is a privoluge not a right."

Oh, clearly so. Paying customers have no rights at all.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I am saying king isle should not help to nerf worlds. King isle should encourage people to get better. People will continue to cry for nerfs because they are not putting in the effort. Players will continue to whine unless they improve. So the solution is to either ignore the nerfs (aka people who put in no effort) or B) make drops more common for gear.

It's much easier for king isle prob to increase drop rates then rescale worlds. Trust me when I say it- people will not leave if you stop ignoring requests for nerfs. People will stop, after 15 tries. Then they will try to do some research why they keep loosing. Then they will have to go and farm.

They farm get better loot, and they can continue. End of story

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
A Super Hard core world sounds great. It would have to be optional, but drop the cream of the crop gear.
This for sure will keep us busy in between worlds.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
How much fun is a game where every battle easily won? Oh it will be played but when there is NO challenge interest wanes quickly.

How much fun is a game where EVERY battle is near impossible? Not much. My kids and I have given up on Tower of the Helephant. When a team of four cannot defeat the first level after 20 tries, something's wrong.

The trick with any game is to keep it just enough of a challenge that the player feels a sense of accomplishment once the battle is completed. But not so hard that the player gives up and never returns.

Wizards was designed and meant to be a team-focused, goal orientated, game. KI has done marvelous things to keep online game relevant and thriving for 10 years. They see that although (seemingly) player numbers are down those players that remain are nothing if not loyal and dedicated. And KI has adjusted the difficulty levels accordingly. Where I hear "Nerfed" I see "Adjusted for soloability". Just hard enough to make it a sense of accomplishment

How many of us log on daily? weekly? at least once a month? How many of us team up on EVERY quest?

So do we need a Hard-Core World where every challenge is nigh impossible and can only be done with the full cooperation of a team of four? No.

Would it be nice for these types of dungeons to begin popping up? I can see where it would appeal to some.

Just my two cents

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
I like the idea of a super hard side world, that sounds like it’d be interesting. Wintertusk somewhat did this at first but it quickly became somewhat easy if you knew what you were doing. Of course, it might not sit well with more casual players, but all in all I’d support that idea.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
I am saying king isle should not help to nerf worlds. King isle should encourage people to get better. People will continue to cry for nerfs because they are not putting in the effort. Players will continue to whine unless they improve. So the solution is to either ignore the nerfs (aka people who put in no effort) or B) make drops more common for gear.

It's much easier for king isle prob to increase drop rates then rescale worlds. Trust me when I say it- people will not leave if you stop ignoring requests for nerfs. People will stop, after 15 tries. Then they will try to do some research why they keep loosing. Then they will have to go and farm.

What you are suggesting doesn't always work that way. It's not just the gear, how you set your deck or do some reach that does help but not enough to get through challenging battle by many players "People will continue to cry for nerfs because they are not putting in the effort."? Are you saying people are not trying hard enough? You don't know that. Tell you what, why don't lay everything out in deal on this thread how to be a strong hardcore player and if those still can't do it after a few times, Then you can say we are not trying hard enough. Maybe people don't have the knack like some others do to get through difficult battles looking for that proper gear and the right help doesn't always come in good time causing frustrations leading to lost of interest in playing. Knacks to win battles and patients to farm come in different degrees and often can not be taught however may improve in time. Yes some people may quit if the game is easy but a lot more may quit if it's to hard. The point is: your point is not Kingisle's. way how the game is designed. this is a game not a job or the Army where you have to be all you can be. Not everyone is you or this games isn't just for the hardcore players and best play style.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011

How is it that you know more of what inexperienced players need rather than inexperienced player than themselves. When you write a post off of the assumptions of what a less experienced player needs, it is inaccurate and plain wrong. Further on the subject of "no effort", this is a video game that should be played how someone desires and content should be playable for those who do not want to put in more time getting gear that is so rarely dropped and impossible to get. I need to add that gear will get you only so far, knowledge of the game is important too and for some players, it is harder for them to learn the strategy of the game.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016

"Have to?"

There is no have to in paid entertainment. If the customer doesn't feel they are having fun they stop paying.

"Research?"

It is not school or a job. Not everyone finds difficulty entertaining.

"Get better?"

Who decides what "good" means let alone "better?"

It isn't an Olympic meet, to a lot of people it's entertainment or relaxation they are paying for.

I guess some people take vacations and try to climb Mt Everest but most prefer to lounge on a beach.

Neither are 'wrong' - people are all unique individuals.

So the above covers what people want and how it differs.

Now as frostednutella pointed out people also have various skill or talent levels.

Make your customers feel a sense of futility and they will leave, in droves.

Not only does everyone have an interest in 'proving' anything or being the best.gamer.ever, not everyone is able to be either. You might also be forgetting many people have 'differently abled' bodies or eyesight or so on and couldn't have the same reflexes or memory or ability to learn as everybody else either.

It's not DarwinLand, where people have to prove survival of the fittest; it's not 'real life' where a roof and food depend on strife; a game is just entertainment for most people.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
Have to understand that this game is not a story driven RPG. This is a strategy game. Sure King isle has incorprated very weak and loose story here and there- but thats not what 2/3 arcs of the game. It's about the blades, traps, shields, converts.

Yes it seems the new arc is more heavy in story but that's not really an excuse to make levels easy.

Gear wise the drops are no were near "impossible to get". I gotten all my gear Malistare undying, hades, waterworks, Atlantis highest drops. Did I get them right away? NO. But the drops are there. Since the drops are class restricted you will get them. The drops are generally as follows from my testing across 50ish runs across my 3 high levels

Malistare undying: 15% per piece of gear (got 1 every 6 runs)

Hades: 20% per piece of gear ( got 1 every 5 runs)

Waterworks / Atlantis : 45%: almost 1 piece of gear every 3 runs

*** This percents are no we're close to impossible. Most people are entitled and expect the dungeon to fork it out in 3-4 runs. PEOPLE NEED To WAKE UP. Do the work or don't complain. It's as simple as that.

Knowing the game every player should read the mechanics of every boss. There is a reason wizard101 wiki is there. Go and use it and farm gear.

Luke shadow thorn Level 125

Luke storm Blood level 123

Luke sky walker level 124

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 27, 2018 wrote:
Have to understand that this game is not a story driven RPG. This is a strategy game. Sure King isle has incorprated very weak and loose story here and there- but thats not what 2/3 arcs of the game. It's about the blades, traps, shields, converts.

Yes it seems the new arc is more heavy in story but that's not really an excuse to make levels easy.

Gear wise the drops are no were near "impossible to get". I gotten all my gear Malistare undying, hades, waterworks, Atlantis highest drops. Did I get them right away? NO. But the drops are there. Since the drops are class restricted you will get them. The drops are generally as follows from my testing across 50ish runs across my 3 high levels

Malistare undying: 15% per piece of gear (got 1 every 6 runs)

Hades: 20% per piece of gear ( got 1 every 5 runs)

Waterworks / Atlantis : 45%: almost 1 piece of gear every 3 runs

*** This percents are no we're close to impossible. Most people are entitled and expect the dungeon to fork it out in 3-4 runs. PEOPLE NEED To WAKE UP. Do the work or don't complain. It's as simple as that.

Knowing the game every player should read the mechanics of every boss. There is a reason wizard101 wiki is there. Go and use it and farm gear.

Luke shadow thorn Level 125

Luke storm Blood level 123

Luke sky walker level 124
People need to wake up? Do the work or don't complain? Are tel us you want people be like you and play like you? if not, they are not trying hard enough? Not everyone is like you or have your battle skills and ability to be hardcore like you no mater how hard they try. Some people who are so strategically good need to wake up and realize Wizard101 is NOT just for them. This is a game, not a job or school where if you fail, you get an "F". You mentioned this is a strategy game, right? That mean players are free to play, do battles and improve there character the way they choose. But yet near and at the end of your post you'r telling us how to play and not complain. I'm sorry but people will complain and it's their right and for a good reason. That's just the way is and it seems you are complaining more on our justers. Some people don't have time to farm like some others do for good reason such as school students with homework etc... . Should they be penalize by not complaining for not having much game time?