Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trading Reagents for Crafting

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
I have been recently introduced to crafting and have found a huge disadvantage that I am sure just about everyone is familiar with when trying to increase their crafting level or complete a quest to work towards getting better gear. Right now, I have a Level 52 fire wizard still wearing Zeus gear and am in a desperate need of an upgrade. Of course I am farming also but I have plans to craft the level 56 fire gear once I get to Grizzleheim. Unfortunately, I am still stuck on the crafting quest for Dragonspyre, the ring of apotheosis. I have gone to Celestia to help out with some of the ingredients by getting a couple transmute spells (ore into a diamond i.e), and have managed to craft one ring after transmuting my 100 ore into what I still needed for diamonds only to have to collect more ore to make another 15 diamonds! And then there is steel that I need to get for a fire jewel for my pet. I don't think I need to remind anyone how hard it is to obtain these items at the Bazaar and wonder just WHY rare hard to get items are listed for the things needed to craft for the lower level crafting quests (which have horrible stats)

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to make the required items a little bit easier to get, I mean, you can hover around Bazaar for an hour and only get lucky enough to get a couple reagents you need while they are quickly being snatched up by someone else. And if a friend lists something for you to buy, it is bought right from under you. Checking bazaar multiple times a day and at odd hours doesn't seem to help much either.

I just find it a bit overwhelming with all the different crafting tables, having to collect rare reagents that are near impossible to get, having farming that could give them but not being at the levels to plant, etc. So much to do beyond doing my quests.

Quite honestly, I really think it would be a HUGE improvement if we could trade reagents like we could treasure cards. It would be so much easier and less frustrating to craft when the game is enough of a challenge without having to worry about obtaining reagents too. I also think it would add to the way the game operates which is encouraging players to help each other out.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Scarlet Moon

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I never bother with the bazaar when looking for reagents. The things we need are so fleeting and hugely expensive that it's just not worth it. Instead, what I do, is go actually searching for the reagent itself. In the case of Diamonds, what you need is Ore. And Ore can be picked up all over the place in Krokotopia, especially the Sphinx and the Tomb of Storms. It's also available all over Dragonspyre.

Go to a perfect realm, sweep through an area that has 2 or 3 spawning points for Ore, collect some ore. Change realms to another perfect one, then repeat. Once in a while, there will be a diamond hidden in with the ore. The best times to do this are late evening or early morning. On a good run, I can cover all the realms in 30-40 minutes and get up to 10 diamonds that way.

Another alternative is gardening.

Frozen Fly Traps, and Fickle Pickle both drop diamonds.

Snap Dragons of all types drop useful reagents. So do yellow and orange dandelions.

Soon you'll need blood moss and black pearls, so start gardening Pink Dandelions. They drop from the blue mander servants in the Krokosphinx.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Sassy Rocker Chick on Jan 31, 2018 wrote:
I have been recently introduced to crafting and have found a huge disadvantage that I am sure just about everyone is familiar with when trying to increase their crafting level or complete a quest to work towards getting better gear. Right now, I have a Level 52 fire wizard still wearing Zeus gear and am in a desperate need of an upgrade. Of course I am farming also but I have plans to craft the level 56 fire gear once I get to Grizzleheim. Unfortunately, I am still stuck on the crafting quest for Dragonspyre, the ring of apotheosis. I have gone to Celestia to help out with some of the ingredients by getting a couple transmute spells (ore into a diamond i.e), and have managed to craft one ring after transmuting my 100 ore into what I still needed for diamonds only to have to collect more ore to make another 15 diamonds! And then there is steel that I need to get for a fire jewel for my pet. I don't think I need to remind anyone how hard it is to obtain these items at the Bazaar and wonder just WHY rare hard to get items are listed for the things needed to craft for the lower level crafting quests (which have horrible stats)

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to make the required items a little bit easier to get, I mean, you can hover around Bazaar for an hour and only get lucky enough to get a couple reagents you need while they are quickly being snatched up by someone else. And if a friend lists something for you to buy, it is bought right from under you. Checking bazaar multiple times a day and at odd hours doesn't seem to help much either.

I just find it a bit overwhelming with all the different crafting tables, having to collect rare reagents that are near impossible to get, having farming that could give them but not being at the levels to plant, etc. So much to do beyond doing my quests.

Quite honestly, I really think it would be a HUGE improvement if we could trade reagents like we could treasure cards. It would be so much easier and less frustrating to craft when the game is enough of a challenge without having to worry about obtaining reagents too. I also think it would add to the way the game operates which is encouraging players to help each other out.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Scarlet Moon
It would help, for sure. But what if your friends are crafting, too?
If you have the patience & time to farm, then you have the patience & time to go looking for reagents. Learning where these items are more likely to occur and going there, changing realms, as you "vacuum" up the reagents. I have done this for every quest and item I have crafted and I'm a Legendary crafter.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
I cannot overstate my agreement!

I also wish we could trade the dropped spells from packs and bosses. WHAT is my Life character supposed to do with random ice and storm spells? But my sister could use both - and my other characters could use fire and myth and ...

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Diamonds are fairly simple to get if you have the transmute recipe. It's just time consuming as you need to travel around Dragonspyre for a few days picking up all the ore.

Just wait until you need Amber.

But yes the ability to trade reagents would be a welcome addition.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
Thank you for the suggestions on how to collect reagents. There are other ways I know I can get them, it's just those that come from boss collections seem to be more of the problem. For the common reagents, I know where to get them and if not, I look it up and run around collecting them and have on occasion switched realms such as in collecting scrap iron that I needed at a lower level. I also know how to transmute them since a good friend showed me where to get the transmuting spells. He has many of the reagents to help me also, it's just transferring them over to me that can be a problem which is also why I am suggesting that we be able to trade them like treasure cards. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any issue making the effort looking for them and especially if I took a day trying to farm for better gear (this is not a common for me, believe me) I just want to be able to enjoy actually "playing" the game and not having to worry about having a hard time with rare reagents or having to be a certain farming level to plant a specific plant that drops the reagent I need etc. This is all great for additional things to do in the game but when it is for gear that someone might actually really need, I just think Kingsisle should have made it easier to do without having to have so many preliminary requirements before we did something else. It just seems like I am always running into some sort of problem and it is really frustrating and not allowing me to thoroughly enjoy playing the game. I really think all the reagents should have been items that are easily able to collect in addition to having gardening and transmuting spells to create them if we didn't have the time or had extra reagents we could use to make those that we need. I could go running around doing my quests picking up every reagent I see and still be needing more to craft something.

I am on the seal quest now which I think after I complete, I am able to get the gear in Grizzeheim I am wanting (I hope)

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
This is one of the suggestions I made to Professor Dalia Falmea's Friday post a couple weeks back. I hope this idea will be added to the game.