Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I can't stay alive

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I know that every "land" teaches us something new. I'm usually pretty good at keeping up my shields but I'm spending so much time staying alive I don't have time to do any damage. As a Storm wizard the spells I was so proud to dish out are now killing me. So, should I even bother with prisms? I always hear that I should keep my deck very lean but that's kind of scary. One Tempest clears the minion but then I feel totally defenseless against the second boss who is Balance. I'm wearing a Myth mastery amulet and my wand is Myth so when I cast a sparkle to clear a myth shield I get a pip. Something's just not working. I will try Edward's deck setup (teeth chattering). I used my new training points to get Tower shields. That seems the only defense I have against Balance. I don't see myself going back to Mt. Olympus to farm. I barely made it out alive the first time even with help. Now talk to me about amulets and wands. And tell me what I can do against Balance. Do I enchant my Tempest and Storm Lord with Sun cards? I'm not giving up I'm just frustrated.

Alexis Dawnbreaker lvl 50 Storm

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
My strat is to make your deck clean and equip a reshuffle.

Look up the bosses cheats, cards, health and defences (optional)

Plan your strategy before you go into battle.

For example when I do some quests I only equip about 5 cards including a reshuffle because I already know what I'm going to do. I blade up, shield if I have to, wait for pips, then I attack. This may not help you, but It's what I do when I play .

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
Prisms are necessary for storm bosses and munions (80% resist is not good) so you should only pack prisms when you're facing storm mobs.

I know it's scary to have such a small deck the first few battles, but eventually you get used to it. Eventually it will be the opposite, I hesitate to run into battle with 25 cards rather than my usual 15.

By now, you should really have the sky iron hasta and definitely enchant your cards.

Good luck!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I'm not giving up I'm just frustrated."

Good! Don't give up! Storm is one of the more difficult schools to level during the lower levels as, as you highlighted, we struggle with weak defense mechanisms. So, how do we counter this? You mentioned a key answer, tower shield.

But, upon reviewing your tactic, it seems your offense is a little flawed.

Now, here's what I recommend.

First, Yes, train the sun damage enchanting spells only, and also, the fortify and amplify from the school.

Instead of using Tempest as your primary attack since the spell leaves you vulnerable (without pips), I suggest Storm Lord. Now, before attacking, you'll want to ensure you properly charm up and ward the necessary opponents.

Balance mobs tend to use elemental shield. You may think that converting may work here, but, remember, you're storm. Power through the shield, (I recommend just breaking it wild bolt if you haven't used any charms etc.), since that storm shield can still break if you converted after it's used.

Have Two Decks - One for mobs and one for boss battles. Enchant your hits, if you've feint, use it on the boss prior to attack. Of course, you want to ensure you shield too.

It also seems your gear needs improvement. The gear you decide to use is the key to your success as a diviner. So, if that involves at times a few hours of farming, you'll most likely have to indulge.

Also, why are you using a Myth Mastery?

You don't need Myth as a second school for anything.

Good Luck

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
As usual, lots of good advice. To Aminal, I've looked at Reshuffle and wasn't sure. Now I'm getting one. Thanks. The idea of two decks makes sense. I can put the prisms in the one for mobs. As for feint I don't totally understand how it works. I'll test it out some more. I have made it a habit, even in a dungeon, to stop right inside the door to see who I'm up against. There is time right there to swear (you read it right. Oh .....), make adjustments and take a breath before you move and are committed to the ring. Now to Edward. I brought up the amulet hoping you would tell me what I should be wearing. I should've just ask right out. Which Mastery should I wear and which wand should I use? And one more thing....who should I farm?

Thank you again
Alexis Dawnbreaker Storm

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
colocrys on Jan 20, 2018 wrote:
As usual, lots of good advice. To Aminal, I've looked at Reshuffle and wasn't sure. Now I'm getting one. Thanks. The idea of two decks makes sense. I can put the prisms in the one for mobs. As for feint I don't totally understand how it works. I'll test it out some more. I have made it a habit, even in a dungeon, to stop right inside the door to see who I'm up against. There is time right there to swear (you read it right. Oh .....), make adjustments and take a breath before you move and are committed to the ring. Now to Edward. I brought up the amulet hoping you would tell me what I should be wearing. I should've just ask right out. Which Mastery should I wear and which wand should I use? And one more thing....who should I farm?

Thank you again
Alexis Dawnbreaker Storm
Well, in terms of amulets, you've a couple options.

You can either:

Use the Life Mastery and train up to Satyr. - I'd then encourage you to relinquish this as soon as you learn 's spell, Healing Current in Avalon at level 75.

Gear - You'll have to run Mount Olympus a couple times for your gear. Or, if you've crowns, the gear from the Professor Hoard's Pack can work (Zenus is better though) until you've arrived at level 56. At this level, crafted gear (which requires a minimum level of Grandmaster Artisan) becomes available in Sudrilund, Wintertusk, Grizzleheim. That gear in particular is a huge boost from the gear you had before and will greatly assist in questing!
Rings and Athames are also available in Vestrilund, Wintertusk. Post if you've anymore queries on this.

You mentioned the spell Feint. Now of course, to learn the spell, you'll have to visit Dworgyn and have seven training points in hand. Now, feint is an excellent spell. The spell places a universal 70% trap on the target and a 30% trap on you. This costs a pip however. Now, since the spell is universal, it means it'll break for any damage, no matter how minimal.

The reason why I suggest the spell is that it helps to bridge the gap of high hit points enemies may have.

Do not underestimate the power a feint and an enchanted Kraken can do to a mob/boss!

And yes, adjust your deck to suit the situation you're in. Have two or three decks if need be, ensuring you naming each so you're not confused.

Mobs are the easiest for Diviners.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
Might I add, while there's difficulty in questing when you're a lower leveled storm, as you level, especially at that level 56 mark with your correct crafting gear, then you'll steadily begin to see the true potential the school really has!

Just stick with it.

Ensure your gear covers what storm lacks.
Accuracy
Resists

Build on what is has.
Damage

Don't forget the essentials
Health
Pips %

Forget the less needed.
Mana

Explorer
Feb 12, 2012
i recommend completing the side worlds grizzleheim and wintertusk before you start celestia, by then you may probably reach level 60 which unlocks the waterworks dungeon (the waterworks dungeon has the best gear from celestia all the way to khrysalis!!) so i recommend you farm that dungeon for the gear because you'll be able to boost through the world