Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mutation spells

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
I think I speak for many when I say mutate spells were a great idea in theory, but needed a little follow up. What I mean is, I think it would be really cool if we could mutate more spells from other schools without using treasure cards. For storm they could learn mutate phoenix and have thunder bird, that would give them a low pip spell that could add 30% damage to the next incoming 3 spells. Ice could mutate fire bird into ice bird and get an extra blade, fire could learn ice beetle and mutate that into fire beetle for a 1 pip fuel card. Death could learn mutate sprite into midnight sprite and get an extra curse spell. I think the bigger issue is, though, that mastery of a separate school might have been the driving force behind mutation spells originally (you can correct me if I'm wrong) the point I'm trying to make is that mastery of another school is a fickle thing.

If you give wizards access to another school how far can they go with it? mutation spells would be the big determinate in that case. It's one thing if the best spell you can learn is fire dragon for the fire school, but add in mutations and you get fuel, heck with storm mastery everyone can spam Thunderbird. Of course I'm over blowing this, It wouldn't be to much of an issue, especially since it still wouldn't be viable to use spells of another school without the blades and natural boosts of that school through hybrid gear, which is still on the decline (although in saying this I am well aware of treasure cards and the new professors hoard pack and how much they really put a strain on that claim). That said, I still don't believe mutation shouldn't be learnable, I mean how many different kinds of effreet and fire dragon are there? Heck, storm dragons a thing, and I think theres even a shadow effreet the scorpion uses! giving us access to these spells isn't going to completely upset the game, maybe help hybrid sets make a comeback, but outside of that I'd still really like to see mutation spells make a comeback!

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
many of these do exist. You need to visit the mutate master in celestia. he is hiding behind a wall in one of the monster areas. All mutate spells are sun spells. You cast the sun spell on the original spell in your hand and then you get a temporary treasure care for that battle. I had my death wizard learn Minotaur just so he could cast death Minotaur whenever he wants. Midnight sprite, life banshee, Thunderbird, fire wyvern, fire kraken, and ice swarm can all be learned from the mutate master.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
Zebulous Newt on Dec 10, 2017 wrote:
many of these do exist. You need to visit the mutate master in celestia. he is hiding behind a wall in one of the monster areas. All mutate spells are sun spells. You cast the sun spell on the original spell in your hand and then you get a temporary treasure care for that battle. I had my death wizard learn Minotaur just so he could cast death Minotaur whenever he wants. Midnight sprite, life banshee, Thunderbird, fire wyvern, fire kraken, and ice swarm can all be learned from the mutate master.
Huh, I checked and your right,ther are a ton of great mutation spells out int he open for everyone to get their hands on. Heck some of them are just no brainers- I don't know what storm wizard wouldn't want thunderbird in 1v1 pvp and ice swarm is just a low pip frostbite. I guess most people forgot about them? and new players after zafaria came out didn't know about them? (it's not like the mutation master is part of any mainline story quest so I doubt he's a popular customer if you've never heard about him) either way there are still tons of spells I'd like to see made into mutations, frost dragon, Ice hound, blue pheonix, frozen bats, Ice effreet ( though I admit that could be a bit of a special ocassion kind of spell), ice bird (its a mutation so you can't use sharpened blade), for ice. fiery giant, fire beetle, magma colossus (though I give fir that begrudgingly), magma man, cloud demon, stormbird, storm serpent, and I'll get to the other schools at another time.