Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Team Up Kiosk Possible Solution :)

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Dec 8, 2017 wrote:
Let me see if I'm following everyone correctly.

Those of us posting do not fall into one of the Big Three Inappropriate Helpers (Badge Hunters, Inconsiderate Farmers, and Spoil Everyone's Fun Sid).

We all want to help but have no concrete ideas on how to "fix" the problems.

So.......

How about this as an idea? I have a special colored hat that I wear when I go to meet other "older" Wizards in Greyrose. I have a special colored hat I wear when I go to attempt to PvP with other "Shirkers".

Could we as a group of committed, dedicated helpers wear a special colored hat stitched to a duplicate of a good piece of gear (so we don't lose combat effectiveness). Then let it be known throughout the Spiral, that if you see a Red Hat (random color pulled from the top of my head) on your team, this wizard has vowed to stay with you to the end of the fight.

Just a suggestion

Steven Ghoststalker
Hi Area51Alien

How about white hats? Fire wizards often wear red hats.
Orange hats will be worn by the PVP Shirker Squad.

I don't see very many people wearing white hats around the Spiral and "white hat" is slang for a "good guy."

Spyder: One thing a longer life has taught me is you cannot control other people's behavior. The behavior we have been seeing will likely continue because team up really is a grab bag. If you don't want to take the risk, perhaps team up with people beforehand, rather than using the kiosk.

Getting badges might help, as you've said, but there probably will be more badges or levels added or more things to buy, as well.

It seemed like you meant me when you accused us of "hijacking" the other thread (although it didn't look like you started either discussion nor are you a mod), but we were on topic, because we were trying to learn about the new kiosk quest. It's a discussion and not every single post is going to stick to a narrow parameter. Discussions evolve naturally, but it's not like we were discussing our manicures.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Star Edward on Dec 7, 2017 wrote:
I remembered entering a team up instance in Wintertusk (I believe it was Nastrond) and while we steadily progressed until the final instance, the person who originally requested the help kindly asked if we could wait on him while he tweaked his deck for a minute.

Turns out, the remaining two maxes went on ahead and quickly dispatched the bosses with a series of critical AoE's. I tried to plead with them to wait until the "requestee" was ready, but no, they instead ignored and powered through the battle and left.

As a result, even though this was a dungeon and credit is usually assigned to everyone inside the dungeon, the requestee was still left with the same quest "to defeat the bosses." His quest line didn't change and the so called "helpers" didn't care. They ported out and left on their merry way.

This of course came at a huge shock to the requestee and she was dumbfounded at what had just taken place to the point of questioning why persons "have to be like that."

I went in and did the dungeon over with her, that of course cheered her up some, but our time in the origin was wasted and we all know time waits on no man.

So, for dungeons, I believe that the requestee still needs to be actively involved in battles of the dungeon and time exercised for them to talk or interact with NPC's, especially if it is their first time going through the dungeon.

It's getting to the point where it seems like this is a form of bullying.

i agree with this.

this was a while ago, shortly after the release of darkmoor; i was max-level and no longer questing, so my balance was helping a team get through waterworks. only one wizard in our group had the quest, and the rest of us were level 90-100.

our level 60 wizard went afk for a moment and, while he was gone, the other two high-level wizards finished the battle. i protested, but the ignored me; when the guy came back, he was super confused as to why he still had the quest, and i had to explain to him what happened.

waterworks is not a short instance. so we both lamented that people are horrible and inconsiderate, and i went through the dungeon with him again.

griefing through the kiosk is 100% a form of bullying, and i will put an end to it if i see it happening. hopefully, by the time i return to the spiral (*if* i return), it'll be less rife with abuse.

this is my last day on the boards, so best wishes for a happy & safe holiday to all my spiral friends!

-von

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Dec 9, 2017 wrote:
Hi Area51Alien

How about white hats? Fire wizards often wear red hats.
Orange hats will be worn by the PVP Shirker Squad.

I don't see very many people wearing white hats around the Spiral and "white hat" is slang for a "good guy."

Spyder: One thing a longer life has taught me is you cannot control other people's behavior. The behavior we have been seeing will likely continue because team up really is a grab bag. If you don't want to take the risk, perhaps team up with people beforehand, rather than using the kiosk.

Getting badges might help, as you've said, but there probably will be more badges or levels added or more things to buy, as well.

It seemed like you meant me when you accused us of "hijacking" the other thread (although it didn't look like you started either discussion nor are you a mod), but we were on topic, because we were trying to learn about the new kiosk quest. It's a discussion and not every single post is going to stick to a narrow parameter. Discussions evolve naturally, but it's not like we were discussing our manicures.
White hats it is. Since the Kiosk is not-realm specific, a specific realm is not necessary.

I do hereby challenge all true helpers to wear a White Hat when helping through the kiosk.

We are "Helping Wizards" who will not let the requester down.

We will not forge ahead and leave the requester in the dust.

We will stay until the end of the battle.

We are the White Hats, We are Shadowpact!

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
What about adding a ready button to the dungeons? When you enter, the battle cannot be activated until one of two things happens, everyone hits a ready button signifying they are ready to go into the circle, which gives people a chance to fully load the dungeon or do the quest dialog OR a one minute timer expires, thus eliminating the potential for people griefing by going in and never hitting the ready button. Of course at timer wouldn't give people a chance to discuss tactics for very long in the cases of the more difficult fights. But maybe there is a similar solution that would solve this as well.

A problem with colored hats to signify helpers is that anyone can stitch that color hat and if they really want to grief they can do so.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
A while ago I picked up a soloist waiting for help at Jabberwock. I went in, tried to chat him up, no answer. Repeated this every so often for about 5 mins, he was clearly out to lunch, so I figured I'd start the battle anyway while I was there. See if anything had changed...(this was before the minions were removed from that battle)

Turn before I was to kill, he comes running up behind me and joins the battle.

"Sup bro? Almost missed it. I ran out of fire dispels and this would have been the last turn."

"Sorry...was in the shower"

"Oh is that something people do now? Hit team-up and then go suds up?"

"I've been trying to get help with this one boss since 5 hours ago, and not one person around to help, even in Ambrose realm. Wasn't expecting to get any help this time of night I guess"

If you really want to help people, don't "help" at only Nightshade, ML, Morganthe, or Krampus.

Take some time out of your busy farming schedule to help folks stuck at the needlessly difficult but unrewarding "make-work" cheaters like Frostbranch, Belloq, Black Palace, Jabberwock, and Loother Ray. Nobody farms these, so a fair number of players get stuck at these logjams. If you're on a time-limited subscription, a few days here and there looking for help add up! That person might really want to get to Sudrilund and get their ancillary spell, or make it past Azteca and learn shadow magic before they run out of membership.

And yes, the kiosk listings should put the longest-waiting teams first, prioritywise.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
@Heuna... The truly vile are going to do everything to mess with people regardless of what steps are taken. Yes anyone can re-color or stitch a hit so they have a white hat.

I guess what the suggestion is banking on is that the trolls don't bother with the message boards.

@Crunkatog... Yeah had it not been for help, I never would have made it past Belloq or the Jabberwock. Heck the Life Oni in Mooshu gave me fits the first time I met him. (Life Wizard).

As I progress, I'm finding the number of (minor) Bosses that I cannot solo to be increasing. So it's not just the "low level" wizards who need help, if help is being asked for in higher level worlds it's probably for a good reason. And no, folks aren't as quick to help with the non-farming logjams.

Steven Ghoststalker
Greyrose Gang, PvP Shirker, and Shadowpact

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Hi everyone :)

I don't know what solution KI are planning on using but I got a lovely email from them that said:

"Greetings,

We apologize for any trouble with this issue.

We hope to have a resolution in place soon.
Please keep an eye out on the Wizard101 update page and our forums for upcoming changes.

Have a great rest of your week.

Best regards,

KingsIsle Support"

Woohoo! It looks like KI have a plan and it's coming soon! Hopefully little wizards needing a helping hand will get the help they need and those wanting badges for helping will be earning them by helping instead of forgetting to wait :)

Thank you KI....I'll be watching out for the update :)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Dec 10, 2017 wrote:
White hats it is. Since the Kiosk is not-realm specific, a specific realm is not necessary.

I do hereby challenge all true helpers to wear a White Hat when helping through the kiosk.

We are "Helping Wizards" who will not let the requester down.

We will not forge ahead and leave the requester in the dust.

We will stay until the end of the battle.

We are the White Hats, We are Shadowpact!

Steven Ghoststalker
Yay!

I already have an orange hat or hood in backpack. Will add a white one

In theory I joined the team last night; I helped someone with the same dungeon at least 3 times in a row. I told them I'd stay and keep helping until their quest was cleared. I'm not sure what happened but they kept disappearing, not replying to messages and once they said they fled.

I've had people do that when they get overwhelmed or pulled into a street battle -- they flee or even relog without telling me. Lol

Long story short they were not doing these things on purpose but I think rather out of confusion and/or inexperience. And we cleared their quest. Yay.

Love reading everyone's 'battle stories,' I like reading about the game about as much as playing it, I think.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Crunkatog: Well in your instance you both had to have patience I guess. But why would anyone go take a shower after making a team up call?? That makes no sense and it is very rude to the other person, it's not your fault other people never answered the team up they put in before.

It is hard to just sit and stare at the screen for two full minutes though, whether putting in or answering a team up call.

Things I wish team up kiosk had:

School of the boss! I'd rather not answer team ups for bosses of my own school. If it's not a very low level I wouldn't be of much use there. I can't possibly remember the stats or schools of all battles or dungeons.

Difficulty level! Depending on my own level of wizard and how much spare time I can donate to the cause, I'd love to see how long the battle might take and how difficult it might be, before I join it. Again I can't remember all possible battles and by the time I look it up online, the request might be gone.

How Many Rooms! It would also be nice to know how many rooms or if it was a one shot battle or a tower or a dungeon at least.

Does the Boss or Enemy Cheat? Would be nice to know this also, although I know there isn't that much room in the kiosk lines. Maybe in hover text?

Level of Other Players who have also joined. This might help us see if it's a lot of max farming a battle or dungeon or if it's a low level really desiring quest help. Then we could pick our preference accordingly.

Which Player Called for the team up. For various reasons.

Can anyone think of any other things they'd love to know before joining a battle? Maybe level of the other people signing up? Anything besides just the name of the battle and the world or dungeon it is found in, would be great.
Thanks for reading.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Dec 12, 2017 wrote:
Crunkatog: Well in your instance you both had to have patience I guess. But why would anyone go take a shower after making a team up call?? That makes no sense and it is very rude to the other person, it's not your fault other people never answered the team up they put in before.

It is hard to just sit and stare at the screen for two full minutes though, whether putting in or answering a team up call.

Things I wish team up kiosk had:

School of the boss! I'd rather not answer team ups for bosses of my own school. If it's not a very low level I wouldn't be of much use there. I can't possibly remember the stats or schools of all battles or dungeons.

Difficulty level! Depending on my own level of wizard and how much spare time I can donate to the cause, I'd love to see how long the battle might take and how difficult it might be, before I join it. Again I can't remember all possible battles and by the time I look it up online, the request might be gone.

How Many Rooms! It would also be nice to know how many rooms or if it was a one shot battle or a tower or a dungeon at least.

Does the Boss or Enemy Cheat? Would be nice to know this also, although I know there isn't that much room in the kiosk lines. Maybe in hover text?

Level of Other Players who have also joined. This might help us see if it's a lot of max farming a battle or dungeon or if it's a low level really desiring quest help. Then we could pick our preference accordingly.

Which Player Called for the team up. For various reasons.

Can anyone think of any other things they'd love to know before joining a battle? Maybe level of the other people signing up? Anything besides just the name of the battle and the world or dungeon it is found in, would be great.
Thanks for reading.
My daughter and I spent the afternoon as members of Shadowpact (we both had on our white hats)

She mentioned (had her on the phone) every single on one of your suggestions. So KI if you are keeping track of suggestion on how to fix the muddle that Kiosk Trolls are causing please tally up two more votes for each of Sparkle's suggestions.

Going in to battle fully prepared to help would be a big benefit.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Dec 12, 2017 wrote:
My daughter and I spent the afternoon as members of Shadowpact (we both had on our white hats)

She mentioned (had her on the phone) every single on one of your suggestions. So KI if you are keeping track of suggestion on how to fix the muddle that Kiosk Trolls are causing please tally up two more votes for each of Sparkle's suggestions.

Going in to battle fully prepared to help would be a big benefit.

Steven Ghoststalker
Thank you (both!)

Survivor
Oct 02, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 2, 2017 wrote:
Simply waiting for everyone to get into the battle circle would solve this problem. Unfortunately, there are some players who just don't care about the wizard asking for help - they're there for one thing, to get the credit for "helping", get the badge so they can buy the stuff.
It's similar to what's happening in Pirate101. Players there are doing the basic very low level dungeons, in and out in less than 5 minutes. Our reward for a certain number of runs is a badge that grants a particle effect ( we get a halo ).
Now, I don't care how others are using ( or abusing ) the Team-Up Kiosk. I intend to go help as and when I can, where ever I'm needed, It'll take a while but I'll get that badge eventually.
But you gotta admit that his idea was really good. Allowing the person who activated the team-up to start the battle.

Survivor
Oct 02, 2013
I love this idea very much. I hope KI really takes what you said into consideration.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
From the latest updates:

'We've made a new rule specifically for team ups that involve smaller instances located in Wizard City through Dragonspyre, in Grizzleheim, and in Wysteria. The original player that requested help from a sigil must now also be present at the conclusion of combat, or the Team Up badge credit will not be awarded. Also note, in the case where credit is not awarded, we also remove the timeout penalty from all players in the zone.'

This is EXACTLY what I hoped for! Thank you so so much KI :)

Happy questing everyone and happy helping too! :)