Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Installing to another drive

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is any way to direct InstallWizard101.exe to install somewhere other than C:\ProgramData. I've got a small SSD for my C: drive and would like to deploy the data files to another disk? A command line switch perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
During installing wizard101 you are given an option to install to a different directory. You can use that option. (I Personally just go to the wizard101 folder an copy the entire folder over to a second Drive/Partition.) When you do it my way just Open up the w101 folder when you have it copied over and right click the Wizard101 application in the Main folder. ( not Bin data or patch client but in the main folder). Once you right click it Click On the send to Context menu and then select Desktop (Create shortcut) It will say. Long as you have the drive/Partition always accessible the shortcut should work properly. The game runs normally like this without any problems.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
Thanks,
I didn't see an option to change the installation folder during the install process but I'll look again next time.

Meanwhile, I used a directory junction. This is a fairly advanced technique so don't do it if you're not comfortable working on the command line.
1. Using Windows Explorer, move (cut and paste) the Kings Isle data folder, typically "C:\ProgramData\KingsIsle Entertainment", to your new drive, aka "D:\ProgramData\KingsIsle Entertainment".
2. Open a command prompt in admin mode
3. Go to C:\ProgramData and create a symbolic link to the new folder.
mklink /J "KingsIsle Entertainment" "D:\ProgramData\KingsIsle Entertainment"

Now, all references to Kings Isle data goes to the D: drive without having to muck about with changing registry entries and whatnot.

Thanks and best of luck.