Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What good is Doom and Gloom??

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
From the look of it, all Doom and Gloom does is make all healing spells work poorly. And since , from what I have seen, players do a lot more healing than the attackers, why in the world would I use this, since it ends up only hurting me and my fellow players?

Survivor
Dec 26, 2009
Max,

I've never used D/G in a regular battle, its a very pvp favored spell.
And really, the only time thats really ideal is when you've got all your opponents in a tight position.
As a Life wizard, D/G isnt my favorite lol (my boosts still give a fair amount through it but different topic)

So, if you're cooking up a good attack, and know you're opponents are either all gonna be super low on health, or a majority are going to be dead, you dont want you're survivors puling out the rebirths or satyrs, or even pet casted unicorns, anything to get the team back together.

If you're pvping, and there's life wizards, its a good way to knock them down, combined with infections, its a dangerous situation for them. Or anyone looking to revive their friends.
There suddenly becomes a lot of pressure on those who survived the onslaught to get their team back in working condition. And if its a single person, say a Jade Life, then it'll keep their heals down so that your team can
1. Attempt to kill them
2. If members of the team DO get healed, because the amount is so low, they can be taken back down easily.

So, really it can be a good spell if used right. If used to early, it could turn on its head and become a problem for those who casted it. But its really only used towards the end of matches as a finisher, a way to make sure the dead stay dead.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Max DeGroot on Nov 12, 2017 wrote:
From the look of it, all Doom and Gloom does is make all healing spells work poorly. And since , from what I have seen, players do a lot more healing than the attackers, why in the world would I use this, since it ends up only hurting me and my fellow players?
other than in cheat dungeons with enemies that respawn mid-battle, there is no use for this spell in pve.

i'm not sure what level you are or which worlds you have access to. but there is one infamous level 100+ boss fight where there's no break between the first and second battles; when you kill the boss, he respawns the following round with 100,000 health (might be less than that now, since i hear it was nerfed) so a common strategy is for someone to throw up a doom bubble the same round as the kill, so that the boss is far easier to defeat, as he respawns with less health than he would have if doom was not in play.

(of course, it's also common practice that someone changes the bubble immediately after the boss respawns, so that the team can heal.)

my necromancer has never carried this spell. but, though it prevents the other schools from healing effectively, death can circumvent this via drain spells that allow them to heal and hit at the same time... but, because those spells are classed as attacks, not heals, death does not suffer any ill effects while doom is up.

i don't bother with pvp, though catsrawesome pretty much covered that aspect. hope this helps!

-von

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
You need it in pvp to get at Life wizards using Spirit Guardian. It really does help. I've never used it in normal gameplay.