Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

100k tears

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 29, 2010
I spent, I kid you not, over 100k crowns on gloomthorn packs. Call it an addiction if you please but I looked forward to these Halloween packs all year and when I found out the Headless Horseman was going to be obtainable I wanted it more than ever.

However 100k crowns later and still no spell, not even the new mount. I know its all about luck but I feel members should have slightly increased luck or after every 10 packs purchased your luck should slightly increase for the next 24 hours.

I love this game to death but I honestly can't help but feel burned over. I've seen people get the spell after 5 packs at most who aren't even death.

I wanted to start getting into pvp on my death and getting the spell was going to be the deciding factor but after all I've spent, after all the stress, I don't think I'll be purchasing packs ever again.

I honestly feel somewhat betrayed, I spend so much money on this game I feel like I would get what I pay for.

I do not feel like I got $120 worth out of those packs.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I understand you ;-;

And I completely agree! Your luck should be raised.

The thing that keeps me away from packs is the chances of getting something good. It appears to be VERY low.
Some of the stuff in packs like common TC, snacks, reagents should be removed.

Add in stuff that will still help people! Like hard to find TC and reagents. Add some mega snacks in there too! Even if you don't get what you want at least it wasn't completely put to waste.

And for heavens sake remove housing items!! At least the ones that are available in the Bazaar.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
CaptainAureus on Oct 17, 2017 wrote:
I spent, I kid you not, over 100k crowns on gloomthorn packs. Call it an addiction if you please but I looked forward to these Halloween packs all year and when I found out the Headless Horseman was going to be obtainable I wanted it more than ever.

However 100k crowns later and still no spell, not even the new mount. I know its all about luck but I feel members should have slightly increased luck or after every 10 packs purchased your luck should slightly increase for the next 24 hours.

I love this game to death but I honestly can't help but feel burned over. I've seen people get the spell after 5 packs at most who aren't even death.

I wanted to start getting into pvp on my death and getting the spell was going to be the deciding factor but after all I've spent, after all the stress, I don't think I'll be purchasing packs ever again.

I honestly feel somewhat betrayed, I spend so much money on this game I feel like I would get what I pay for.

I do not feel like I got $120 worth out of those packs.
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
It's a gamble, but not as bad as playing slots/lotto as you do get something back for your money; surely you received other things besides the spell/mount? Pets & gear? And why should members get a better chance at pack RNG simply because they're members? That would be creating a "pay to win" society.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
They need to stop putting furniture, TC, pets, useless items, etc in packs. We don't pay REAL money for useless items like those. If we want those items, sell them in the crowns store in a separate pack for gold.

I'm sick of their intentional horrible drop rate system.
Happy customers > more money

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 17, 2017 wrote:
It's a gamble, but not as bad as playing slots/lotto as you do get something back for your money; surely you received other things besides the spell/mount? Pets & gear? And why should members get a better chance at pack RNG simply because they're members? That would be creating a "pay to win" society.
This game is already severely ''pay to win''..
funny now that you're against a way to help out players.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Mirajane7887 on Oct 17, 2017 wrote:
I understand you ;-;

And I completely agree! Your luck should be raised.

The thing that keeps me away from packs is the chances of getting something good. It appears to be VERY low.
Some of the stuff in packs like common TC, snacks, reagents should be removed.

Add in stuff that will still help people! Like hard to find TC and reagents. Add some mega snacks in there too! Even if you don't get what you want at least it wasn't completely put to waste.

And for heavens sake remove housing items!! At least the ones that are available in the Bazaar.
"And for heavens sake remove housing items!! At least the ones that are available in the Bazaar."

While opening Harrowing Nightmare packs last week I pulled several Jaques' Saw. Which if you didn't know, is an 'Ultra Rare' housing item. So even when I'm lucky enough to pull the highest rarity it's still junk.

Jaques ultra rare saw

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
Your quote rings true in many situations but I don't think it rings completely true in this one.
The fact of the matter is KI KNOWS that when it comes to packs the main thing that the majority (not all) of people want is the mount, and that if a pack has a perm spell in it then the spell will be greatly desired as well, which is why the drop rate on those things are so low.
Extremely low drop rate + very high demand= lots of crowns being brought to buy packs.

So even if I feel as though better restraint could have been exercised by the OP I can't find it in myself to fault them for trying to get something they obviously wanted and most likely still want very badly.
They simply fell for the trap that KI set.

Personally, as of earlier this year I no longer buy any non-bundle packs, and the reason I don't buy non-bundle packs is because I've been playing since 2010 and despite buying many non-bundle packs in those 7 years I have only received a mount from a non-bundle pack ONCE.

Lastly, there is an elixir that allows those that are willing to pay for it to jump straight to level 50, and if I can remember correctly unless you buy zones, pay on a month to month basis, or buy a 12 month membership you can't even leave Wizard City, so in many ways Wizard101 could already be classified as a pay to win game depending on who's doing the classifying.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Yes the odds are extremely low on getting the new items. It's designed that way on purpose for a reason. To make money. Once you realize it you might not be so willing to spend all your hard earned money on them.

As for why should members get a better chance. Well that's simple. To make more money. If I didn't have a couple accounts already I can see someone joining if they were aware that the odds were better to get items from packs.

I can use your own reference to slot machines. Your wrong if you think they're all the same. They're not. The machines set up at the end of isles or as you just enter the gaming area are designed to hit more often.

People don't want to see losers they want to see winners. So those machines are designed to do just that. Hit a lot. If you weren't aware of this pay attention next time and see how many of those slot machines are open to play. I bet there not and if you do find one I would suggest you jump in before its taken.

As for lotteries. Again I've seen were your odds get increased by playing more often. (They give you more chances to win). So the more you play the greater your chances are on hitting it.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Megan DeathThorn on Oct 18, 2017 wrote:
This game is already severely ''pay to win''..
funny now that you're against a way to help out players.
I'm against a process that separates players into 2 classes, members get enough perks for their membership without giving them an "extra" luck boost to packs; packs cost the same for everyone and they should have the same chance to get the items offered.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Yes, it's a gamble no doubt; but I am not sure what harm could come from KI raising the odds significantly on some of the items. What use is putting something into a pack, if no one can win it? Isn't the point to get people using the item, showing it off, so others want to try for it also?

I also played a fair amount of 'quarter slots' if you will, trying for the permanent mount. I got neither the mount (except a few one day versions of it, which I very rarely even use, as I dislike getting used to something and then poof, it's gone) nor the headless horseman spell. It was quite a while before I got a Jack O' Lantern pet (which has the spell) and now I've got a few.

Even though some of us will keep trying, I think most can't or won't, so making it virtually impossible/scarcer than a hen's tooth seems counterintuitive. JMO

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Mr Talon on Oct 18, 2017 wrote:
"And for heavens sake remove housing items!! At least the ones that are available in the Bazaar."

While opening Harrowing Nightmare packs last week I pulled several Jaques' Saw. Which if you didn't know, is an 'Ultra Rare' housing item. So even when I'm lucky enough to pull the highest rarity it's still junk.

Jaques ultra rare saw
Not to just grouse but...I agree with those who feel that things we can get for gold or free in the game (treasure cards, reagents, housing items that can be dropped) should not be in crowns packs.

After all isn't the whole point to get things that we cannot get any other way?

I got many repetitions of things I have no interest in and cannot use. How do I decorate with a hand saw, exactly? Lol

I did scatter some of the 'bones' around the 'graveyard' in Darkmoor Manor, but I fed a lot of no auction items I cannot use, such as the fire cat statue, to pets. Other things I sold for a pittance in 'gold' (such as 'brain in a jar' -- outside of building a virtual Frankenstein lab I'm unsure what to do with those) and we get gold in the game for free.

Even though some of us keep buying, I think many more would buy if this were not the case.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I agree that the loot table for this pack is completely over loaded with the "common" items freely obtained in game play. The "brain jar" is an excellent point - you can pick that up in Lord Nightshade's Tower & if you go to the bazaar, you will find a good supply of that item at a very cheap price.
Yet, some players are getting the permanent mount and spell and for less money spent that the OP.
Anyone would be in favor of removing the "stuff" and keeping the "cream" or raising the chance of receiving the rare items, just so long as it's an across the board raise and not a membership benefit.