Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Overbearing graphics on Preventions spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
I know this has been mentioned before, but the topic was locked and so the only way to lend my voice to a plea for a change is to start a new topic. Although I've had TC versions of some of the prevention spells before I have only just got access to Barley in Khrysalis to buy the permanent spells. I tried Growzone Layer for the first time today and wish I hadn't wasted the large amount of gold required to purchase it. It does what it says, but makes attending to the other needs the plants will get and harvesting of them totally impossible.

Please KI, can you listen to this plea and any other gardening fans who support this post and drastically reduce the effect of prevention spells in general but especially Growzone Layer?

You can't clearly see any of the plants beyond the first two or three at the edges of a circle of 57 small plots, and so there's not even a way to accurately aim a Large Area spell as you can't see the centre at all. Harvesting becomes a tedious process of roaming across the plot in burnt out white haze and pressing the X key to see if you can harvest all your plants.

I'm not sure what the thinking was behind these spells but they don't give enough advantage to gardeners to warrant the inconvenience of these obscuring animations.

Thank you.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2011
Howdy Marcus, I'm with you on the "overbearing graphics" thing as well! I mean, they are spectacular in their designs and creative aspects for sure, but some of them can be quite obtrusive, and well frankly a bit dangerous for people who have epilepsy or other such disorders triggered by the flashing element.

As you said, some of them make it very difficult to complete gardening tasks. Strawman is cool, but when all is said and done, I can't tell what my plants NEED or even ARE because they completely engulfed the scarecrows! I've wasted an awful lot of energy trying to cover all the bases. Some of the other longer termed spells dissipate after a while, but not Strawman! I've lost plants because I didn't know they were lacking in something so simple as water and I had thought I managed to check them all. Wind chimes and I believe Growzone layer remain as well, and while not as disturbing as strawman, can be quite obtrusive as well.

Pretty please, tone these spells down, or provide a button which can be used to turn off the graphics if one so chooses. I have a friend who can't even come to my house because she has a mild case of epilepsy and she goes into a seizure whenever she does. She LOVED to garden, but can no longer do so for health reasons.

One of the main factors which drew me into Wizard was the spectacularly entertaining plants!!! They really are so very creative and entertaining!!!

Thanks so very much for taking these issue into consideration!

Survivor
Apr 04, 2015
Pyretips on Nov 12, 2017 wrote:
Howdy Marcus, I'm with you on the "overbearing graphics" thing as well! I mean, they are spectacular in their designs and creative aspects for sure, but some of them can be quite obtrusive, and well frankly a bit dangerous for people who have epilepsy or other such disorders triggered by the flashing element.

As you said, some of them make it very difficult to complete gardening tasks. Strawman is cool, but when all is said and done, I can't tell what my plants NEED or even ARE because they completely engulfed the scarecrows! I've wasted an awful lot of energy trying to cover all the bases. Some of the other longer termed spells dissipate after a while, but not Strawman! I've lost plants because I didn't know they were lacking in something so simple as water and I had thought I managed to check them all. Wind chimes and I believe Growzone layer remain as well, and while not as disturbing as strawman, can be quite obtrusive as well.

Pretty please, tone these spells down, or provide a button which can be used to turn off the graphics if one so chooses. I have a friend who can't even come to my house because she has a mild case of epilepsy and she goes into a seizure whenever she does. She LOVED to garden, but can no longer do so for health reasons.

One of the main factors which drew me into Wizard was the spectacularly entertaining plants!!! They really are so very creative and entertaining!!!

Thanks so very much for taking these issue into consideration!
Hiyas! I just tried to post but it timed out on me when I clicked submit... hopefully I am not double posting. Anyway I thought I would share some things I have recently figured out regarding lag in gardening spells.

I hope KI doesn't tone down the gardening spells, I think they are wonderful.

ProTip 1: Cast your gardening spell, immediately turn around and face the opposite direction of your plot, then walk a few steps away from your garden. If all of the plants are out of sight, then you will not be lagged. I used to have this seemingly 50% lag spike after casting my gardening spells. Not anymore!

ProTip 2: Order your spells. For example, if you need to cast Dragonflies, Wind Chimes and Monsoon, then cast your Dragonflies last. The last animation will overwrite the previous and Dragonflies will be comfortably left for you.

Cheers!

- Anna SparkleTail and Rylee Hunter

Survivor
Apr 04, 2015
Bummer! I just logged on to tend to my garden and the first spell I cast lagged me! My little trick worked great up until now... ugh. What a double let down after not receiving double gardening rewards this winter break.