Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Modifying Luck Factor

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 04, 2017
I farmed Hades for 11 days straight(September 3rd - September 14th), trying to get "The Amulet of Divine Influence". The first 2-3 days, I would farm all day. The remaining 8-9 days, I would farm around 3-5 times a day. However, I never got it.

I wanted this amulet because it's the most well-rounded amulet in the game so far in my opinion. Some of my friends have told me to go with "Shadow Queen's Grace" Amulet, which is one of Morganthe's amulets. However, I believe "The Amulet of Divine Influence" is better overall. I eventually want to participate in competitive pvp and want to be one of the best pvp players. Every stat can add up in competitive play, so having "the best" gear is important to me.

Immediately after my last and latest attempt at farming Hades, I felt exhausted. Before I fully realized it, I went over to the crowns chest(which I haven't done in the longest time), and used it(about 5 times) until I couldn't use it anymore.

After still not receiving the amulet, I got really depressed. I shut down my computer and took a long, hot shower. I started thinking suicidal thoughts. Also I thought about quitting Wizard101 entirely.(This wasn't just because of the amulet, but also because I've been dealing with personal issues in real life that have been going on for years). I eventually logged back on and talked to a trusted friend. We see life fairly differently, but she made me feel better just being there for me.

I've decided to write this post because I believe there's something "wrong" with the luck factor towards certain aspects in Wizard101. Therefore, I hope to convince change. I believe it isn't right that someone who tried farming Hades as much as me didn't get what I was there for. Yes, I did get other rare items like exalted mastery amulets. However, I've known for a long time that I don't want to have a secondary school, so they're not very useful to me. If Hades didn't drop "The Amulet of Divine Influence", I wouldn't have farmed as long as I did. I would have stopped day 3, since I got the helm, chest-plate, and boots I was looking for by then.
The packs you can purchase in this game also have a similar component of luck. It just bothers me that someone could purchase an extremely high amount of packs in this game, just trying to get one item and never getting it. I will admit, this is a very smart business strategy. However, it can mess with people psychologically.

One other issue I thought of: I helped someone once with Mount Olympus. However, they kept asking to do it over and over again, since they didn't get the item they were looking for. This puts the helper in an awkward position, making them less likely to help others farm.

Some potential solutions I've thought of are the following: 1: Make the chances for rare items easier. 2: After a set amount of attempts, the person would automatically get the desired item(more attempts for "better" items). 3: Have an easier drop chance day. 4: Have an easier drop chance elixir.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Aaron,

I would be happy to help you farm Hades on my max death or max ice. I can't find anyone to team up with for Darkmoor or the end of Mirage, so I have a lot of free time.

Farming over and over again for gear, and not getting the thing you want, can be upsetting. It's important to remember, though, that this is a game. Please don't let a random algorithm take your mind to a dark place. If you end up letting me help with Hades, and you don't get the amulet, we'll take a break. Maybe go hang out in my house, or stand in the peaceful waters of Mooshu.

I'm including a link below, just in case. You seem like a really great person, and I would like to help you.

Erin Dusk Weaver, Erin Shadow Weaver

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Survivor
Jun 07, 2014
Hey there Aaron!
Interesting post you made here! I agree with how bad the drop ratio is and I understand your frustrations (believe me, I do and so do many others); but I would like you to be aware of how you worded your post. Now I'm not here to be a pain and point out everything in your post - and please don't take this the wrong way - but here's what I wanted to point out:
- "After still not receiving the amulet, I got really depressed. I shut down my computer and took a long, hot shower. I started thinking suicidal thoughts." - be careful with mentioning triggering topics like this to back you up. I don't want you to start being attacked by nasty people who can't see the point you're trying to make with your post.
- "1:Make the chances for rare items easier. 2: After a set amount of attempts, the person would automatically get the desired item(more attempts for "better" items). 3: Have an easier drop chance day. 4: Have an easier drop chance elixir." - Good suggestions, however, rare items are rare for a reason and these solutions would defeat the purpose of them being considered rare drops.
Apart from that; I hope others see the point you're trying to make with your post! Please take care of yourself and remember: it's just a game!

Survivor
Jan 04, 2017
First I would like to start out by thanking everyone who viewed and replied to my post. This was my first Wizard101 message board post.

Erin, I appreciate the offer to help me farm Hades. We could do a run or so to meet up, since you seem like a nice person as well. However, I believe I'm done farming Hades for the most part. Many friends have told me to move on and go back to questing, so I plan on doing that.

Also, thank you "Chrissyhly" for being supportive and clarifying my intent for this post. You've been a good friend to me.

On a side note: This is a little embarrassing, but I believe I found a "better" amulet. I've compared this to "The Amulet of Divine Influence" before, but I couldn't see what I see now. "Jawniak's Torc of Deceit" doesn't have critical or pierce, however I believe it's "better" overall. The amount of health, block, and universal resist out-way the pros of "The Amulet of Divine Influence" in my opinion.

Even though I've discovered a "better" amulet, I don't care about farming to the degree I used to anymore. I just want to enjoy the game and feel a sense of freedom. So, once I get to "The Rat", who apparently drops this amulet, I'm going to farm him as long as I'm having fun.

I remember playing "Big Brother"(a Reality TV show) on Roblox. "Big Brother" can and usually turns into a malicious strategy game. The goal being: Outlast all your fellow contestants. A lot of times I would play and beat myself up for losing the weekly challenges. However, similarly to my experience farming Hades on Wizard101, I would stay anyways(even while I was miserable inside). A big lesson I learned from playing was to make sure you're having fun.

I'm usually on Wizard101 a good amount of time. But to be safe, I would say 7:00pm - 12:00am EST. we could meet this Saturday(September 23rd, 2017) in the commons in realm Torrence if all of that works for you. I can adjust depending on your schedule.

I hope this post helps others as well.