Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Don't you think we should have a new open chat?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 24, 2015
I think this would be a great idea to implement. To be able to literally say anything without getting punished. Just like in League of Legends. To do this, KI would have to really verify your age. Just like in IMVU (for those who have AP in there) it would be great to implement a feature where you'll need to send your actual ID picture to KI, for them to verify your age, and thus let you in that new open chat.

Those who are in the new open chat shouldn't be punished for saying bad words, as they will only see it within the adult community. I don't think it's a bad idea. NOW, if it gets out of hand (if someone really, really goes beyond what's allowed) then KI should take charge. But everyday bad words here and there, or yelling certain things out of frustration shouldn't be filtered in this new open chat feature.

What do you think?

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
This Idea can not and will not be allowed in this type of game. Wizard101 and other KI games are created for all ages over 10. Therefore all online games dealing with kids must have a children protection policy law in order to remain in business. I forgot the name of the policy but it forbids bad words such as swearing and dirty talk. Basically, the chat system must stay at the rated G level

Explorer
Jun 16, 2012
Younger kids could steal a parents or use a friends' ID for that, but it does sound like a good idea for our older members

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't say to go that far, although I would like open chat to have less stringent filters.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
Um no.

No offence but i think this is kinda dumb as people would take advantage and just swear, all the time. Even though as you said only adults saw it, its still not very nice to see people swearing in a video game.

If you need to swear out loud at your screen dont do it over text.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Given how many players already go around the chat filter to bully and troll, I'm not sure giving them even more options would be a good idea. This could also be abused by adult predators looking for young players' personal information, because it's a fair bet that kids would figure out a way to use a more open chat.

Having a more open chat could expose KI to possible legal problems, and most likely result in even more bullying, more abuse, and less safety.

Just my two cents, as an adult who is perfectly fine with the current open chat system.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2011
The game doesn't need a new open chat, it needs to give open chat to those who are old enough but can't get it. I know some people who made their account when they were younger than 18, and when they turned 18, they still couldn't get open chat. KI says they have no way of legally checking, but if you were like me and were honest in making your account, I don't see why you can't just send a picture of your ID to KI once you turn 18 so you can get open chat.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
I think that would be an interesting idea to implement, but I doubt it would happen since this is a children's game. :/

Survivor
Jun 24, 2015
Rylee JadeBlossom on Sep 1, 2017 wrote:
I think that would be an interesting idea to implement, but I doubt it would happen since this is a children's game. :/
I don't know if people keep calling it a children's game. It's not. It's a family game. And again, I'm not saying open chat for EVERYONE, only for those who have solid proof that they're adults. Something to prove it.

And I know it's not nice to swear but it's also not nice to call other people "noob" or "trash" yet those words aren't filtered out because they aren't bad words, but still rude.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
LifeyLeafy on Sep 10, 2017 wrote:
I don't know if people keep calling it a children's game. It's not. It's a family game. And again, I'm not saying open chat for EVERYONE, only for those who have solid proof that they're adults. Something to prove it.

And I know it's not nice to swear but it's also not nice to call other people "noob" or "trash" yet those words aren't filtered out because they aren't bad words, but still rude.
I am an adult, I curse rarely in real life, and never in the game, I seem to be able to communicate just fine without resorting to cursing!

If KI were to allow cursing in the game I would seriously consider leaving, I have better things to do than "listen" to children curse for absolutely no reason and out of context for that.

As you mentioned there are other games you can play if you simply must be able to curse to communicate, have fun!

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
This is probably a pretty good idea since all of the kids who played this game from the beginning are now much older, many old enough for open chat. I'd like KI to figure out a way to do this. Also, there are already kids with open chat and there's always a way to get around the barriers.