Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Not blocking

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 17, 2009
I don't think this is a bug. But, I am having problems not blocking anymore. I have a max fire with 286 block to all schools. When I do block a critical its very rare. One of the battles I fought against Morganthe and I got hit by 10 criticals with no blocking. Even other battles I won't block against any criticals. Maybe 286 block just sucks.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Hover over that block number and see what percent block you have. Block degrades as you level up, so 286 will not give you the same percent at level 120 as it did at level 100.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Critical decay is an issue as we level up. You will need to raise your block amount in order to have a fair chance of blocking at least some critical hits. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are, but having your block go above "30%" or so seems to help.

Alia's block is 360, giving her a 33% chance to block an incoming critical hit. She had to sacrifice some hitting power but since she tends to tank and heal, the exchange was worth it in her case. In your case, raising you block above 325 might help a lot. But you also may have to sacrifice somewhere else in order to get a higher block rating.

It's been hard to raise our block with the gear we've been winning in Polaris and Mirage. Maybe KI is planning to phase it out...?

Alia Misthaven, 120

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
DanielleDragonFire on Aug 5, 2017 wrote:
I don't think this is a bug. But, I am having problems not blocking anymore. I have a max fire with 286 block to all schools. When I do block a critical its very rare. One of the battles I fought against Morganthe and I got hit by 10 criticals with no blocking. Even other battles I won't block against any criticals. Maybe 286 block just sucks.
What is your percent block when you hover over your rating? That's your percent chance of blocking a critical.

Also, what you are experiencing is the wonderful change to the critical and block system that KI added back when Polaris came out! Isn't it great? Isn't it amazing?

When this change was first implemented, everyone I knew was against it, and MANY players have quit the game over it. KI even started a thread about the new change, and you can see what people thought of it here.

Defender
Jul 21, 2013
Unfortunately, as our wizards get stronger we get a new power... it's called penalties!

Critical / Critical Block get penalized the higher levels you get.
Ever wonder why your 700 critical is only 50%?

Since I probably couldn't explain this very well you should consider using these links:
http://www.swordroll.com/2014/03/wizard101-critical-pets.html
http://www.duelist101.com/news/issues/battle-points-critical-intel/

CONNOR LEGENDBANE 120
CONNOR FROSTGLADE 14
CONNOR STORMCLOUD 1

Survivor
May 17, 2009
My block percentage is 25%. I'm pretty happy with the gear I have now though.