Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shouldn't Balance Boost on Shadow?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2010
So here's something interesting to think about, provided you taken a look at the illustration back on the home page under the Schools of Magic. You should see a circle that encompasses the major schools of magic, and (either previously or my computer in not displaying things right) shadow magic lies outside it/ appears to be repelled by it.

It makes me wonder since balance is only resisted by itself and does not boost on any other schools, should it be allowed to boost on something like shadow magic?

We know balance draws it powers from the other schools of magic so it makes sense as to why it does not boost on them (because they basically make up power to a point where it becomes greater than sum of its parts hence the different damage type). And since Astral magic falls within the realm of "normal" magic it makes sense why Balance does not boost on those schools either. Which brings me to shadow...

It would seem shadow is so vastly different from the seven schools and the astral schools that they're combined powers are depicted to repel it. Add to this that shadow is not directly tied to the powers of balance like the other schools are. Seeing as Alhazred basically created the balance school (according to the Ravenwood Roll Call), never does he mention shadow in the mix. So wouldn't it make sense for school who's power is result of what could be described as a concentrated blend of all the other schools to be the perfect weapon to combat to shadow outside of Light Magic (which may or may not ever exist in game)?

Warning Spoilers Ahead!

Seeing as the Chaos Heart belongs to Grandfather Spider, the being responsible for shadow itself, wouldn't it imply there is a chaotic nature to shadow which is arguably present in game? And doesn't balance exist to bring order to chaos and likewise allow chaos to overthrow order, thus keeping things in balance?

I'm not saying something should be changed, given all the information available for interpretation, I'm curious to know if anyone feels the same way? Should balance boost on shadow or not?

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hmm, interesting idea. From a mechanics standpoint I would say leave it as is, however that does kind of make sense too.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
After going back over some dialogue I've found Spider says at the end of Mirage, "... and then you will witness the power... the glory... the sheer beauty... of unlimited Chaos!" wouldn't such a statement imply Shadow Magic is chaotic in nature? So if balance is meant to be some form of harmony, shouldn't it be able to oppose it?

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Shadow magic "Dark magic" Isn't from our normal realm of magic. Just like astral sun and moon magic. Hence why we cannot defend or boost from them either.

They only type of magic that could boost shadow would have to be a new type of school magic Light magic "white magic" (ying and yang.) Which in all reality as to exist even if we don't see it yet.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The Lore Keeper on Jul 26, 2017 wrote:
So here's something interesting to think about, provided you taken a look at the illustration back on the home page under the Schools of Magic. You should see a circle that encompasses the major schools of magic, and (either previously or my computer in not displaying things right) shadow magic lies outside it/ appears to be repelled by it.

It makes me wonder since balance is only resisted by itself and does not boost on any other schools, should it be allowed to boost on something like shadow magic?

We know balance draws it powers from the other schools of magic so it makes sense as to why it does not boost on them (because they basically make up power to a point where it becomes greater than sum of its parts hence the different damage type). And since Astral magic falls within the realm of "normal" magic it makes sense why Balance does not boost on those schools either. Which brings me to shadow...

It would seem shadow is so vastly different from the seven schools and the astral schools that they're combined powers are depicted to repel it. Add to this that shadow is not directly tied to the powers of balance like the other schools are. Seeing as Alhazred basically created the balance school (according to the Ravenwood Roll Call), never does he mention shadow in the mix. So wouldn't it make sense for school who's power is result of what could be described as a concentrated blend of all the other schools to be the perfect weapon to combat to shadow outside of Light Magic (which may or may not ever exist in game)?

Warning Spoilers Ahead!

Seeing as the Chaos Heart belongs to Grandfather Spider, the being responsible for shadow itself, wouldn't it imply there is a chaotic nature to shadow which is arguably present in game? And doesn't balance exist to bring order to chaos and likewise allow chaos to overthrow order, thus keeping things in balance?

I'm not saying something should be changed, given all the information available for interpretation, I'm curious to know if anyone feels the same way? Should balance boost on shadow or not?

Starting with the second arc, Balance actually does boost on the "Moon" schools: Myth, Death and Ice. I don't know if that changes your opinion on having it boost against Shadow, but the fact is that it does boost against three schools starting in Celestia.

If anything, given what you're suggesting about Balance being the opposite of Chaos, then I wonder if Balance should have a natural resist to Shadow magic (rather than a boost). And Shadow should have a natural resist to Balance.

Or maybe the two should interact like magnets. When in opposition, they repel each other strongly, but when a Balance wizard combines his own magic with Shadow magic, perhaps then the spells should be magnified and get a power boost. In the same way that magnets can either cling together powerfully or repel each other violently, Shadow & Balance can either counteract each other or get a boost when used together in harmony.

Alia Misthaven

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Freshta on Aug 17, 2017 wrote:
Starting with the second arc, Balance actually does boost on the "Moon" schools: Myth, Death and Ice. I don't know if that changes your opinion on having it boost against Shadow, but the fact is that it does boost against three schools starting in Celestia.

If anything, given what you're suggesting about Balance being the opposite of Chaos, then I wonder if Balance should have a natural resist to Shadow magic (rather than a boost). And Shadow should have a natural resist to Balance.

Or maybe the two should interact like magnets. When in opposition, they repel each other strongly, but when a Balance wizard combines his own magic with Shadow magic, perhaps then the spells should be magnified and get a power boost. In the same way that magnets can either cling together powerfully or repel each other violently, Shadow & Balance can either counteract each other or get a boost when used together in harmony.

Alia Misthaven
Huh... hadn't notice the myth, death, ice boost... weird. Still you also pose a good point on the resist. Still most of what I'm saying is theoretical, I don't expect KingsIlse to change anything over it.