Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What are your opinions on soloing?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
Do you find it lonely? How about peaceful? I personally find it peaceful, yet sometimes I do get lonely and will click Team Up or something.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
The Spiral Twister on Jul 26, 2017 wrote:
Do you find it lonely? How about peaceful? I personally find it peaceful, yet sometimes I do get lonely and will click Team Up or something.
It depends. I find soloing relaxing as I get to do the fights the way I want to, and I know that if I fail, it is my fault and not anyone else's who I was questing with.

However, questing with a close friend is much more fun than being alone in my opinion :P I already planned out my questing groups on all my characters with my friends for when Empyrea is released, and I know I'll have more fun with them than I ever will by myself.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
I personally have been soloing the game since I began a few years ago. I get on the game to relax so I don't find it lonely. Whenever I have the option to team up for a dungeon I typically do just because it makes those battles a little easier. When you solo the game though, you don't have to worry about waiting for others to complete quests or vice versa. You can go at your own pace.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
I did almost the entire first story arc by myself with the exception of the last dungeon in Dragonspyre, it's not so much lonely as it is time consuming. Particularly when you're on a quest that wants you to defeat and collect items from monsters, in some case it could go very quickly and in others it could take forever. I only really use the team up button when I'm going into a dungeon I know I can't do alone.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I LOVE soloing because I feel like it helps me gain a deeper understanding of the game (and forces me to rethink strategies). Team play is fun, but definitely repetitive. It's usually either a blade hit for mobs, or buff the hammer for a big hit on a boss. In my opinion, soloing is a lot more spontaneous. I always enjoy figuring things out on my own before I help friends or other teams through it. :)

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
I like soloing, it gives me a chance to actually listen to the dialogue. Whenever I have to use team up, I would be listening to everyone talk and then I get people rushing me. It does get a little lonely, but I don't really mind.

Amber Dreamflower 120
Amber Frostflower 9

Defender
Aug 08, 2012
I solo most of the time. In a dungeon, I usually ONLY click team up if I believe I can't do it by myself

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I generally like to play with others. Granted, I like to play my Balance Wizard, so people always love it when I blade up or heal on my Life Character. That's just me though. I'm glad Wizard101 has the option where for the most part you can do it any which way you choose (with a few notable exceptions in both cases.)

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Vanessa Mythdust on Jul 26, 2017 wrote:
I LOVE soloing because I feel like it helps me gain a deeper understanding of the game (and forces me to rethink strategies). Team play is fun, but definitely repetitive. It's usually either a blade hit for mobs, or buff the hammer for a big hit on a boss. In my opinion, soloing is a lot more spontaneous. I always enjoy figuring things out on my own before I help friends or other teams through it. :)
In this Vanessa is 100% correct, team play is fun but it gets boring after awhile.

Since I spend a lot of time theorizing and writing fan fiction I more often than not take the time to listen to the dialogue. And if there's one thing I hate above all is when I go into a dungeon and people skip through the dialogue and rush ahead without me and then I have to spend the next five minutes trying to catch up to them.

Soloing allows me to go at my own pace, rather than everyone else's. It gives me the time to get up close and personal with the dialogue and so I can find ways to quote/analyze it. And since I'm going at my own pace I can take my time and take in the awe and beauty of dungeons like The Pigswick Library Archives, Nastrond, Frostholm, The Great Spire, Darkmoor (if you know how), etc...

Explorer
Jan 22, 2014
I always die if I solo a boss in the higher worlds so I don't solo those but normally I always solo mobs just because it's easier. It does get lonely sometimes then other times its nice to just do your own thing and not have to respond to people every minute.

~Natalie lvl 84
~Natalie lvl 36

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I like soloing because it's more challenging that way and I can use any strategy I want without being pressured by other players. I do team up or ask for help when I need it and I help others when they need it. If battles get too easy, I down grade my gear, use less enhancements, blades or not use feints to keep the challenge going.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
I'm fine with being solo, I'm used to it because I usually can't find people to do a boss with me or anything. I can solo mostly by myself, I soloed most of the first arc. I'm finding a lot more people in the worlds I go to now for some reason, and that's always nice, I'm fine with playing with others, makes it easier and I find myself having more fun. So in short, I'm used to being solo and I'm fine with it, but I like playing with others more. I like to read the dialogue, though, so I can't keep up with people a lot of the time lol.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
i prefer teaming, because it makes battles easier and (usually) quicker. i didnt team/ need to team usually when questing though, especially during marleybone (except in the last 3 dungeons) because my level was quite high (34) when i started marleybone. for harder dungeons or for speed killing, which is most likely the case because i farm bosses that give good rewards (jade oni, loremaster, lord nightshade (during christmas), etc.) a lot, i press team up, but i just solo if no one else teams up.

Explorer
Jul 25, 2010
Soloing and Teaming has it's Pros and Cons.

Pros: Soloing
Faster
Less Stressful
Can do your own path
Don't need to worry about others.

Cons: Soloing
Easier to die
Don't have backup (Unless you buy henchmen)
Bosses are harder, especially if they cheat.

Pros: Teaming
More Fun
More likely to get through the dungeon alive
Involves strategy
Better with friends

Cons: Teaming
Slower
You or others can mess up
They may have unknown strategies.
Most of the time it's with people not your friends.

So it all depends on how you want to do it.

~Ian NightHunter, Level 78

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The friends I make in the game often move faster than I do, so I stopped relying on other people. Now I rely on my own wits and skills to get me through. I've learned to love soloing because it's challenging, and because I can quest on my own schedule, while also enjoying the dialog and the scenery.

Sometimes I just stand in one place and look around at all the details, or enjoy the soundscape - something you can't do when other wizards are waiting for you.

Alia has done main quests with a RL friend since Khrysalis, but all of my other wizards have quested alone.

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Hiya, first post. I'd say I'd prefer to play with people I know in real life, but nobody I know irl plays this game (or any game) so I'm kinda stuck soloing.

In fact, I'm something of a recluse. Only person I really KNOW right now is my boyfriend Carlos, and he wouldn't be interested in this game. I'm gonna try to convince him nonetheless.

Plus I'm always worried any "randoms" I meet may actually be children or teenagers, and being an adult online playing with kiddos just makes me feel like a creep.

So yeah- I solo, not because of preference, but because I don't have anyone I feel comfortable playing with.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I really enjoy soloing as it allows me to experience the story at my own pace. Whenever I join other players in a dungeon, they always skip past all of the dialogue and rush through the whole thing. To avoid this yet still have the ability to finish the harder dungeons (usually end of world dungeons), I am content to hire henchmen to help me wherever needed. However, if there is a singe-battle sigil room with which I need assistance, I will usually try to use the Team-Up button, but then return to playing solo afterward.

Although, there are some cases where I simply cannot avoid having to play with other people due to their heavily increased difficulty; namely in the Aquila dungeons, Tower of the Helephant, The Four Dungeons, etc. Though I will usually miss out on the story bits for these due to the tendency of the other players skipping through all of it, it's better than not having the ability to do the dungeons at all.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Daniel Ash Shield on Jul 29, 2017 wrote:
I really enjoy soloing as it allows me to experience the story at my own pace. Whenever I join other players in a dungeon, they always skip past all of the dialogue and rush through the whole thing. To avoid this yet still have the ability to finish the harder dungeons (usually end of world dungeons), I am content to hire henchmen to help me wherever needed. However, if there is a singe-battle sigil room with which I need assistance, I will usually try to use the Team-Up button, but then return to playing solo afterward.

Although, there are some cases where I simply cannot avoid having to play with other people due to their heavily increased difficulty; namely in the Aquila dungeons, Tower of the Helephant, The Four Dungeons, etc. Though I will usually miss out on the story bits for these due to the tendency of the other players skipping through all of it, it's better than not having the ability to do the dungeons at all.
I understand this complaint.

While I get that everyone wants to get through the dungeon as quickly as possible, usually because they intend to rerun the content for loot, it does dampen the experience quite significantly.