Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

breeding pets

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
if i have some pets that will learn an epic talent at teen but not necessarily at other levels, would i get a better pet if i breed two of them at adult or if i upgrade them more? by better pet i mean one that can learn higher rarity skills on average.
what i think the skills the new pet can earn is the skills that the parents ONLY currently have (not what they might or will get after they level up). is this true? and if so, does that mean that my new pet will/better chance to have a better pedigree if both parents are adult than if both parents aren't?
i was guessing that it would be better if i breed my pets at adult, but where i got really stuck was when i found out that pets at higher levels will cost more to breed, because higher cost could mean a better pet will hatch.

Explorer
May 03, 2016
Chicken2479 on Jul 15, 2017 wrote:
if i have some pets that will learn an epic talent at teen but not necessarily at other levels, would i get a better pet if i breed two of them at adult or if i upgrade them more? by better pet i mean one that can learn higher rarity skills on average.
what i think the skills the new pet can earn is the skills that the parents ONLY currently have (not what they might or will get after they level up). is this true? and if so, does that mean that my new pet will/better chance to have a better pedigree if both parents are adult than if both parents aren't?
i was guessing that it would be better if i breed my pets at adult, but where i got really stuck was when i found out that pets at higher levels will cost more to breed, because higher cost could mean a better pet will hatch.
The new pet talent's are not only what the parents knows but off a pool of talents of what the previous parents know and could have learned. The higher the pet does not necessarily mean a better simply because they can get bad or talents you don't want from the pool they can get from.

Juan Iceshard lvl120
Travis Dunehaven lvl 86

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
When the egg is formed, 5 talents are taken at random from each parent. Of those 10 talents in total, 5 are locked in to be expressed when you train that baby and the order they appear is also random.

Whether it's an epic talent vs a rare talent vs a common one, that doesn't matter when it comes to hatching. What order your adult pets learned it doesn't matter either when it comes to the offspring.

Pets have a better chance of passing on a learned talent than other talents, but it's not a sure thing. Even if you hatch two fully trained to Mega pets, there's still a chance that their babies will learn a new talent that neither of the parents had expressed.

If you want to increase your chances of getting a certain talent into a baby, it's best to have that talent in both parents, and ideally both parents should have it expressed. (Even then, you're still not 100% guaranteed to get it expressed in the baby, but you do have a very high probability that the baby will at least inherit that talent and be able to pass it on ...)

I'm not sure if that answered your question or not.

Alia Misthaven