Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Idea: Option to turn off Combat Animations.

AuthorMessage
Hero
May 02, 2009
So we all like to see the animations of spells and what not, but sometimes we just want the battle to go by just a bit faster. Well how about the option to turn off combat animations entirely huh?

Here's how it would work. In the options menu under Gameplay 3 would be an option for Combat Animations which could be toggled on and off. When turned off each side would be effected with a spell like normal, but with damage and heal spells a number would appear overhead to indicate how much damage a spell did or how much health a spell restored respectively. This would occur for each unit one after the other, so it would be seamless.

Questions:

This all sounds allot like how it works in the Fire Emblem series. Is this intentional? Why yes, yes it is. In fact it's where I got this idea from in the first place.

What about for people who don't turn them off? Not to worry. Much like how Fast Combat works in Pirate101 the animations would only show for the units that have them turned on while they wouldn't play for the ones who have them turned off.

What about for May-casts huh? What about them? Now that's a good question. For may casts it would say "Weapon Cast" for wand casts and "Pet Cast" for pet MCs before the effects play out like normal.

And for DOTs, HOTs, charms, wards and bubbles? For those the respective icons would still appear around their target and still activate when their respective conditions are met. Over-time effects would still trigger at the start their respective players turn and show the icon vanishing once its removed, and for shields and blades they would still be shown to trigger like normal even with the combat animations turned off. Bubbles would appear and disappear like normal as well.

Thoughts?

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
flash33 on Jul 11, 2017 wrote:
So we all like to see the animations of spells and what not, but sometimes we just want the battle to go by just a bit faster. Well how about the option to turn off combat animations entirely huh?

Here's how it would work. In the options menu under Gameplay 3 would be an option for Combat Animations which could be toggled on and off. When turned off each side would be effected with a spell like normal, but with damage and heal spells a number would appear overhead to indicate how much damage a spell did or how much health a spell restored respectively. This would occur for each unit one after the other, so it would be seamless.

Questions:

This all sounds allot like how it works in the Fire Emblem series. Is this intentional? Why yes, yes it is. In fact it's where I got this idea from in the first place.

What about for people who don't turn them off? Not to worry. Much like how Fast Combat works in Pirate101 the animations would only show for the units that have them turned on while they wouldn't play for the ones who have them turned off.

What about for May-casts huh? What about them? Now that's a good question. For may casts it would say "Weapon Cast" for wand casts and "Pet Cast" for pet MCs before the effects play out like normal.

And for DOTs, HOTs, charms, wards and bubbles? For those the respective icons would still appear around their target and still activate when their respective conditions are met. Over-time effects would still trigger at the start their respective players turn and show the icon vanishing once its removed, and for shields and blades they would still be shown to trigger like normal even with the combat animations turned off. Bubbles would appear and disappear like normal as well.

Thoughts?
I agree with everything you said.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
they would have to create new servers for this option or else the game wouldnt work right. If my quest buddy had animations on, and I had them off, I'd still have to wait for him in order to move on currently. If they had speed spell only servers, then it would solve the problem. This is something that has been mentioned before. Feel free to do a search to find more posts and opinions. All that said, I think a faster combat is a GOOD idea and what most people feel would speed up combat the best would be for ALL AoE spells to hit everybody at the same time, like Call of Khrulhu does

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
This sort of thing doens't seem to fit into an MMO. This game is meant for seeing the spell you cast. Having the animation not occur with one spell would be akward. This especially applies to how you said some animations will still play if a player doesn't not have it turned off.

Anyways, how would this work for the enemies? If you turn it off, will it be off for the enemies? If you are in combat with multiple people helping, how would this work? Will the animations be turned off if the rest of your friends have it off?

Explorer
Jun 02, 2012
flash33 on Jul 11, 2017 wrote:

Questions:

Thoughts?
This will never be implemented.

I can see a Fast Combat option like in P101 but by the looks of it, the max we will ever be able to increase the speeds of our battles won't go higher than 50%. Plus, combat is a lot slower in P101 so I can see why they wouldn't implement even a speed boost, but a speed boost is more necessary.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Fast combat in pirates absolutely stinks so if it is going to work like that no thank you.

Explorer
Jun 02, 2012
Jasmine3429 on Jul 12, 2017 wrote:
Fast combat in pirates absolutely stinks so if it is going to work like that no thank you.
Well if your going to expect a option to turn off Combat Animations, it isnt going to happen. This is an MMO, not math facts.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
4v4 everyone but u uses ra, you have no animation.... Ghee this 10 minutes of a black screen is nice, waiting for everyone else to finish up, wish i had a clip or something to pass the time......wait i did and turned it off

Hero
May 02, 2009
sharkman0101 on Jul 11, 2017 wrote:
This sort of thing doens't seem to fit into an MMO. This game is meant for seeing the spell you cast. Having the animation not occur with one spell would be akward. This especially applies to how you said some animations will still play if a player doesn't not have it turned off.

Anyways, how would this work for the enemies? If you turn it off, will it be off for the enemies? If you are in combat with multiple people helping, how would this work? Will the animations be turned off if the rest of your friends have it off?
The way Fast Combat works in P101 is that everything is sped up for the person that has fast combat on: you and your companions (and allies (CPU controlled characters like minions)) and enemies. For those that don't have fast combat on the game plays at normal speed when it's their turn. With some tinkering something like this could work with what I suggested in the OP.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
What about an option to have like "continuous play" ie the card selection screen comes up before the round is over. That way you can select your next card while the animations are playing. Would be off by default because there are probably a few bosses it might be best to wait for the planning phase like normal, but for cases where you're like I'm going to blade blade hit. Could speed it up a little? I still think slightly decreasing the casting symbol length and making all AOE hit at the same time would be a good idea.

Explorer
Jan 22, 2014
I don't think this would work very well some people, like myself, enjoy taking their time through the game instead of rushing through like most people do. It would be very difficult for KI to incorporate this into the game without different serves for the people who would have this feature turned on.

~Natalie lvl 74
~Natalie lvl 35

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
flash33 on Jul 13, 2017 wrote:
The way Fast Combat works in P101 is that everything is sped up for the person that has fast combat on: you and your companions (and allies (CPU controlled characters like minions)) and enemies. For those that don't have fast combat on the game plays at normal speed when it's their turn. With some tinkering something like this could work with what I suggested in the OP.
All fast combat does is cause me to glitch at the end of the battle and miss chests. I do not like using it, but if in a battle with stranger they always insist I turn it on and then I have issues like the chests. Personally I like to see what is going on in a battle, but this is not a Pirates forum so lets just leave it at that.

Skipping animations would work, but speeding them up is going to cause problems for people who do not have the most current, best computers.

So again I am going to say, if they implement it like they did in Pirates, no thanks!

Survivor
Aug 31, 2012
This would be great if you're grinding and trying to max out another wizard, but this just takes out the fun from the game. The coolest parts of the game (to me) are the spells (and also the excitement of drops), so I don't think you should, it's what makes Wiz a different MMO.