Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help for a friend involving chat box?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
So my friend has been having this problem where her chat box is ALWAYS on screen. She can shut it, and it keeps popping back up when she changes realms, areas, or anything in between. I looked online and didn't see anything about this, so I'm really curious as to why it keeps happening, and if there's something that can be done. She can type everything fine of course, but even when she doesn't want it to come up (such as when she would normally have to press enter) it comes up without a prompt. Any help is appreciated.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
pressing 'O' (not zero) opens and closes the chat box on screen; it shouldn't 'Open' until she presses 'O' again even if changing realms, zones etc; is this what is happening?

if using 'R' (respond) to message/whisper to friends, that will open up her chat box on screen and she will have to close it again.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
SilverbackMonkey on Jun 4, 2017 wrote:
pressing 'O' (not zero) opens and closes the chat box on screen; it shouldn't 'Open' until she presses 'O' again even if changing realms, zones etc; is this what is happening?

if using 'R' (respond) to message/whisper to friends, that will open up her chat box on screen and she will have to close it again.
It's been a problem that's happened for a long time, neither of us really remember when it started. Whenever she opens the game, her chatbox is already open- she can close it, and when the screen changes or she changes realms, or even just goes into a room and goes out again, it reopens. We don't know why, because she rarely ever presses anything to open the chatbox unless it's to say something to me or to read previously said things; therefore, she opens it with enter.
Otherwise, though, it never seems to stay closed. At first we thought it was a setting or something, but it's not, it's just a constant that always happens. Really weird, if you ask me.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
Hmm, that is pretty weird. I've never heard of anything like that, so I don't really know what to say. Maybe it's something with your friend's computer. I also use enter to open my chat box, and it always promptly closes for me. Maybe send an email to KingsIsle asking about it.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
chocoluver18 on Jun 20, 2017 wrote:
Hmm, that is pretty weird. I've never heard of anything like that, so I don't really know what to say. Maybe it's something with your friend's computer. I also use enter to open my chat box, and it always promptly closes for me. Maybe send an email to KingsIsle asking about it.
Yeah, 'cause we had looked into it around the time it first began, and we saw nothing about that type of thing happening. It's annoying too, because it's always on the screen and after a time just gets obnoxious. She has Aspergers, so it's hard for her to focus as it is, and when we're in the middle of say a battle or something and she sees the box, she gets distracted really badly.
I'll email them and if anything comes up, I hope it's at least somewhat helpful. I doubt anyone else has this issue, but if they do I'll report back here anyway just in case; you never know.

Thanks in any case, though.