Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Question of Rules - Account Sharing

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 23, 2017
A friend of mine has two accounts that he uses regularly. He uses one account as his 'main' account of sorts, to which he has the most of his characters, items, etc. His other account is used purely to help his main account. I looked around a bit, and found out that this is perfectly okay within the rules ( https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/2-accounts-same-time-36046 ). My friend has offered to let me have access to this account, and I initially turned him down, for fear of legality on the game. I don't want to put myself in a situation that could end up in punishment of my account. So I looked around on the internet, and only found mixed replies on the subject. Some people say this is legal, while others say it is not allowed. I also looked a little through the FAQ on the main page of Wizard101, and didn't see anything addressing my question there either. So, my question is this: Is it allowed, or not allowed for my friend to give me access to his secondary account so that I can level up my characters? Thanks in advance :)

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure that's not allowed, but I'll wait for a comment from staff.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
It is absolutely against the terms of service for anyone to share passwords. That is the official rule. Wizards caught sharing passwords will have their accounts deactivated.

If your friend logged in his account and then let you use it, while keeping his password to himself...? I don't know. It obeys the law technically while blatantly going around the spirit of the law. I'm fairly certain KingsIsle wouldn't be too happy about that, not to mention there'd be no way to prove passwords weren't shared should KI find out what's going on.

Sharing account information is very risky, more so for your friend than for you. If you do something ban-worthy while using your friend's account, all of his accounts would be muted and potentially shut down permanently ... and that's not even getting into the no-sharing-of-passwords rule. Just you misbehaving could ruin him, that's why KI is so strict about passwords.

The safest and most legal thing to do would be to simply have your friend help you himself.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Account sharing is strictly against the terms of use, since you have different IPs it would not be too hard to discover either.

Having said that, it seems a lot off people do it anyway, but there is a major risk of both accounts being banned so I would never attempt it, not worth it at all.

As for the rules, did you see the one about NEVER SHARE YOUR PASSWORD WITH ANYONE, yeah that would about cover this.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
It would be to your advantage to NOT accept your friends offer. It is against the ToU and would get all accounts banned.

You also need to think that if something did go wrong, your friend could also claim you stole his information or hacked his account. In this case, your friend would probably get his account back but you would more than likely be permanently banned.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2011
I would like to know if we add a account to make a family account and we transferred a character over would the other account be able to go everywhere your first account bought?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
BlazeBattleRide on May 29, 2017 wrote:
I would like to know if we add a account to make a family account and we transferred a character over would the other account be able to go everywhere your first account bought?
I do not think you can 'transfer a character' to another account.
I asked here about a family account, which I think is a great idea by the way if Kings Isle could figure out some way to vet and verify who would use each character in a given account, and members here told me that is not possible.

Even if you logged in the pw and observed what the person did with the character they said no it's breaking the shared account rule. There is nothing in TOS about shared account but it does say no shared passwords. So some take that to mean shared account also.
If you don't want to risk a ban then err on the side of caution.

I still think a family account is a good idea. The family could tell Kings Isle who would use each character and KI could ask what it needs to ask. I think they would sell more memberships because not many people (households or families) can buy one account per person.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
No, each account is separate as far as access to worlds. If for example I bought all areas on account A, then transferred a character to account B, account B would not have access to worlds until I bought a membership or areas on account B.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Since it requires a year long membership to conduct the transfer, you will have access to all the worlds you've earned through questing. Your character that transfers still keeps their quest progress to the new account. Once your membership expires, your character will be limited to the zones previously bought/associated to the new account (not the old).

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
SparkleTude on May 29, 2017 wrote:
I do not think you can 'transfer a character' to another account.
I asked here about a family account, which I think is a great idea by the way if Kings Isle could figure out some way to vet and verify who would use each character in a given account, and members here told me that is not possible.

Even if you logged in the pw and observed what the person did with the character they said no it's breaking the shared account rule. There is nothing in TOS about shared account but it does say no shared passwords. So some take that to mean shared account also.
If you don't want to risk a ban then err on the side of caution.

I still think a family account is a good idea. The family could tell Kings Isle who would use each character and KI could ask what it needs to ask. I think they would sell more memberships because not many people (households or families) can buy one account per person.
You can transfer characters between family accounts. The restrictions are listed in the below post:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/can-i-transfer-a-character-between-accounts-16444

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oran of Urz on May 29, 2017 wrote:
You can transfer characters between family accounts. The restrictions are listed in the below post:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/can-i-transfer-a-character-between-accounts-16444
Thank you for the info.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2011
But what about the factor that you already bought wizard city through azteca on account A and transfer an account from account A to account B for example i want to help my death through krokotopia with my balance. would i be able to teleport to my death if i gave him a TFC? and since i already bought through azteca and its a family account would i be able to do this? For i just want to make questing a little easier

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
BlazeBattleRide on Jun 2, 2017 wrote:
But what about the factor that you already bought wizard city through azteca on account A and transfer an account from account A to account B for example i want to help my death through krokotopia with my balance. would i be able to teleport to my death if i gave him a TFC? and since i already bought through azteca and its a family account would i be able to do this? For i just want to make questing a little easier
Areas you buy are only valid on the account where you bought them. What you are transferring is the wizard, not the access.

Having said that you need to purchase a yearly membership on both accounts in order to be able to transfer in the first place.