Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

back and a little confused (re: monstrology).

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i wasn't here when the update went live and am still playing around with it. but, from what i've read so far, the system sounds a little broken (unless this is intentionally the way it was designed, in which case i'm even more confused).

the way burke explains it, to gain animus you have to 1) be of equal or higher rank than the creature you're trying to extract from and 2) must win the duel.

that part, i get. but i've been hearing on other fansites etc. that #2 means you must actually deal the final blow in order to get the animus. and that's what concerns me.

see, i would love to have undead mally in my house~ literally the only thing that could possibly convince me to set foot in that awful dungeon (haven't touched it since i got my final piece of gear ~2.5 years ago). but i'm a balance wizard: i never get to hit in group situations because i'm expected to support others.

if that's how it works, i'll be really disappointed... so i guess my question is, if i hit him once during the fight, will that be enough? or does the animus only go to the person who lands the final hit?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

-von

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
You get animus from hitting the enemy with the enchanted spell, you get EXTRA animus if you deal the killing blow, so no you do not have to be the one to defeat, it just helps.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Jasmine3429 on May 20, 2017 wrote:
You get animus from hitting the enemy with the enchanted spell, you get EXTRA animus if you deal the killing blow, so no you do not have to be the one to defeat, it just helps.
Agreed.

My Death was doing some Wyrm hunting yesterday with a friend. We farmed Caoranach Fire-Spitter in Avalon and both of us took a turn hitting with an animus spell. Each of us got '2' animus from our respective hits; then the person who dealt the killing blow got one extra for a total of '3.'

(We were using elixirs, so with the member double bonus this weekend, the total animus collected actually came out to 12 for one of us, 18 for the other!)

Alia Misthaven
Fallon Raven, Wyrm Collector

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Jasmine3429 on May 20, 2017 wrote:
that's good to hear; thanks so much. :)

also, is the animus a chance-to-get, like everything else in the game, or are you guaranteed to get at least one (for hitting with the enchanted spell)?

just want to make sure i understand how it all works before i even think about setting foot back in there. really don't want to do darkmoor ever again unless i absolutely have to (and mally in my house may constitute "have to" lol).

-von

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Dr Von on May 20, 2017 wrote:
that's good to hear; thanks so much. :)

also, is the animus a chance-to-get, like everything else in the game, or are you guaranteed to get at least one (for hitting with the enchanted spell)?

just want to make sure i understand how it all works before i even think about setting foot back in there. really don't want to do darkmoor ever again unless i absolutely have to (and mally in my house may constitute "have to" lol).

-von
I always get 2 for the hit and 1 for the kill, so I believe it is not a "chance" thing at all. If the enemy is much higher than your monstrology level however, there is a chance you will not get any animus so keep this in mind.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Jasmine3429 on May 21, 2017 wrote:
I always get 2 for the hit and 1 for the kill, so I believe it is not a "chance" thing at all. If the enemy is much higher than your monstrology level however, there is a chance you will not get any animus so keep this in mind.
good to know, ty again. :)

i'm only rank 11 at the moment, so will be starying far away from that dungeon until at least rank 16-17 (assuming that monstrology ranks scale to boss rank, ie rank 16 monstrologist=can collect from rank 16 boss).

cheers,
-von