Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Detonate Why?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 06, 2009
So I am reading this other thread about detonate spell and it got me to thinking. What is the point and purpose of the detonate spell? A (level 72) four pip spell that just does what 3 rounds of patience will already accomplish. It does no extra damage, doesn't reduce target resistance or anything....it just finishes whatever rounds of DOT damage are left for a single spell.

I could see potential uses in team PvP maybe, but never in PvE....except maybe if you can shift that eternal dragon spell cast by the white dragon in Avalon and then detonate it (think I have heard of that happening before).

Why would anyone ever use detonate at 4 pips cost when the same 4 pips can tack on another 1000+ damage with almost any other school spell available? If it blew up shields and charms or left a fire trap behind, added additional damage/penetration, added weakness or lowered accuracy...if it did anything aside from finishing a single DoT it might be worth more...but as it stands it doesn't seem to be useful for anything other than filling a spell slot.

Does anyone have any practical uses for the spell that see them rushing to keep it in their decks? Even in team PvP (where I admit to being rather unlearned) it doesn't seem like it would be a very useful spell.

if someone has any positive, useful ways this spell can give a true advantage in battle please share.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
It may not be the best spell, but it has its uses. It actually does do extra damage because it does the damage of all 3 rounds combined, regardless of how many have passed. And 3 rounds of patience can make a difference. A boss might be preparing for a big hit or cheat.

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
Daniel BattleLeaf on May 12, 2017 wrote:
It may not be the best spell, but it has its uses. It actually does do extra damage because it does the damage of all 3 rounds combined, regardless of how many have passed. And 3 rounds of patience can make a difference. A boss might be preparing for a big hit or cheat.
It does not do all three rounds of damage again, just any remaining damage from the future DoT rounds (per Dworgyn in another thread this week).

I guess here is the real test. How many people actually use detonate in any way shape or form in their deck strategies? I have never once since I have got it seen any time or place as a solo fire mage where it would be remotely beneficial to combat. If it was a zero pip spell then it might be useful, sacrifice a turn to blow up a DoT.

As it stands, the ONLY time I could see it being useful is for that white dragon in Avalon assuming someone on your team can shift the eternal dragon to him.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Daniel BattleLeaf on May 12, 2017 wrote:
I started a thread on Detonate/Incindiate asking for clarification; my experience has been that Detonate doesn't do all 3 rounds of damage, just the remaining dots that are left are 'exploded'...
I have been testing it out recently since I got the Dahlia Hat (that is suppose to deal double the damage of dots and
'explode' all Dots on everyone) and it isn't working at all.

check my thread, @Dworgyn is working on it

It isn't working how it claims on the spell card definition. Detonate says will deal 100% damage, Incindiate 200%; I am not getting the full 3 rounds of damage as you say it should; using Elf, for example with Detonate - the first 100 damage hits then I use Detonate very next round; 1/3 of the 210 dot hits enemy before my cast applies; Detonate is only 'exploding' the remaining 2 Dots left.

I have been running low level worlds with zero damage gear equipped to check the numbers.

It SHOULD work as you say, but it does not. That's probably why no one uses it.