Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mutes why are they still here?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Moira Stormheart on May 7, 2017 wrote:
I am absolutely sure about the icon differences. I had menu chat only for about a year before I made a purchase and I could not see anything that was typed. The only thing I can think of is they were really good at guessing what you said.

Moira Stormheart
That would have been impossible -- it was a real conversation, not things like 'follow' and things easy to guess. Then if you are accurate I must have remembered the chat icon wrong.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014
God life wizard on May 4, 2017 wrote:
So most of know that mutes or people who can only used menu chats are downing in these years. Of course we still see them but only maybe one or two for every few days. But the world have more stagies and people need to talk to each other
So I am proposing that we get rid of mutes all together. Ok I know parents of young children would not like that but I will replace it with one of two things.
1. Filed chat in more that will only affect the under 18 people. Make unable to say numbers like one, two, three... or if fake numbers like ate and too in front normal words
Or
2.Have the child not be able to play unless she or he has a parent or older brother or sister (has to be 13 or older). So the child and the family will have to make a family account where more than one person can play. If the child try to get on without an older person, it will put he or her back to the menu

I know some people are going hate this and some are going love but if KI continues to make harder boss like everyone must get in the battle at the same time then we need to talk to each other. Also bosses in darkmoore and other hard bosses has cheats like you can not heal or something else crazy like that and if you have a mute he or she might not get that they are not suppose to heal until that boss is dead
ok read all if your going to feed back me

this isn't a good ideal kingly would lose lots of plays and were seeing less mutes because when they hit the age of 18 or whatever they can use chat

to top that some people get muted and instead of severing there time they just make a brand new account and come back to there old one when they are not muted anymore

and if this was in play anyone who got muted basicly wouldn't be able to play the game

and the chat thing wouldn't work because kingly would never make it because its suppose to be a punishment and also it suppose to keep littlie kids from be able to see words and the time it would take wouldn't even make them any money and it really isn't a big deal

ok here what you could do so it makes it easyier for muted to chat

like say the boss is using a shield cheat where it only take your tower shield and every for round it hit with a cheat like fireball
so what they could do is add to mute chat boss cheats then there be a list of words such as he take tower block or he hits every forth round that way there chat can keep up in combat but at the same time dose not make it were they can't play because this game was made for kids and adults it is a family game not a teenager game or adult game and by doing what you stated it become adult or teenager game it has to be fun for all ages that's what w101 is about.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Moira Stormheart on May 6, 2017 wrote:
Just so everyone knows, you can tell whether someone has been muted because they broke the rules or if they are simply a menu chat person by looking at their names. Muted people either have a chat bubble or no chat bubble next to their name depending on whether they had open chat or filtered chat before they were muted. Menu chat players have a chat bubble with a red cancel sign over it. The reason this is important is because menu chat players can't read what you write so it does no good to try to explain something to them through regular chat. Muted players can still read, they just can't type.

I agree something needs to be done about menu chat only players because in a game that depends on team play, they are really left out. Either their chat system needs to be revised to allow more things to be said or something because the way it is now, it's really hard to communicate to them without sounding rude or even making sense especially in battle chat.

@Sparkletude I've never heard of the first person in the battle circle being the captain and generally I object to anyone arbitrarily giving orders for the rest of the entire team but is this first person as captain a widely accepted rule? I suppose it would make sense why some people want to run in first very quickly.
I have to disagree with you about the Icons. I spent several hours in the Commons today and what I saw was those with Open chat had NO icon. I also reported a player for a very nasty remark and within seconds he was muted with the Red Circle with a line through it. Muted players can see what others are saying, Menu chat can not.

The only way to know exactly what icon is used for a specific form of chat is for KI to list them. But Open Chat has NO icon. I do think it would be a good Idea for everyone to accept how KI has the system set up. As indicated today, they do deal with bad behavior very quickly.

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
DragonLady1818 on May 8, 2017 wrote:
I have to disagree with you about the Icons. I spent several hours in the Commons today and what I saw was those with Open chat had NO icon. I also reported a player for a very nasty remark and within seconds he was muted with the Red Circle with a line through it. Muted players can see what others are saying, Menu chat can not.

The only way to know exactly what icon is used for a specific form of chat is for KI to list them. But Open Chat has NO icon. I do think it would be a good Idea for everyone to accept how KI has the system set up. As indicated today, they do deal with bad behavior very quickly.
Yes, Open chat people do not have any icon but when they are muted they stay the same, still no icon. Only menu chat only people have the bubble with the red circle. I have discovered this through my own experience as a person with Menu Chat only and through my interactions with many muted friends.

I think the system is flawed because Menu chat only people virtually cannot communicate with their fellow players. Imagine being a completely new player and trying to figure out the game entirely on your own. It's frustrating. I also think the system of reporting is flawed as it is so easily abused especially in the realm of PvP. Finally I think the actual filters in filtered chat could be improved especially when it comes to numbers. I understand it's for safety reasons but in practice, they can be easily circumvented and especially in the more complicated boss battles being able to say: "I am attacking in three rounds" or "Boss does his cheat every four rounds" is necessary for team play. And technically substituting tree for three and for instead of four is getting around the filter which I believe is a reportable offense. Also it annoys me when it doesn't let us use proper grammar because they don't have the possessive of another player's name allowed in chat.

The system is workable the way it is but it could certainly use improvements.

Moira Stormheart

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Moira Stormheart on May 9, 2017 wrote:
Yes, Open chat people do not have any icon but when they are muted they stay the same, still no icon. Only menu chat only people have the bubble with the red circle. I have discovered this through my own experience as a person with Menu Chat only and through my interactions with many muted friends.

I think the system is flawed because Menu chat only people virtually cannot communicate with their fellow players. Imagine being a completely new player and trying to figure out the game entirely on your own. It's frustrating. I also think the system of reporting is flawed as it is so easily abused especially in the realm of PvP. Finally I think the actual filters in filtered chat could be improved especially when it comes to numbers. I understand it's for safety reasons but in practice, they can be easily circumvented and especially in the more complicated boss battles being able to say: "I am attacking in three rounds" or "Boss does his cheat every four rounds" is necessary for team play. And technically substituting tree for three and for instead of four is getting around the filter which I believe is a reportable offense. Also it annoys me when it doesn't let us use proper grammar because they don't have the possessive of another player's name allowed in chat.

Moira Stormheart
Getting around the filter in this way isn't a reportable offence, as no personal information is being shared.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Moira Stormheart on May 9, 2017 wrote:

Moira Stormheart
Using tree for three isn't a reportable offense. Tree is allowed. It would depend WHY the person is saying tree. They could be giving necessary information to others. All involved could be well past age 21. I think the system as it stands is a good and balanced one. If you want to add more battle instructions I don't care but it's already so hard to find anything the menu chat is so huge. A while ago they asked on a Feedback Friday IIRC how people would change chat. I think I said add more widely used things to the quick find menu such as Hello or Hi, Stop, and Wait. I like those last 2 because it takes me so long to find anything people are long gone by then. Lol

Yes it's hard to use menu chat but that's why one of the first things I did was find out how to get open chat. I realize that doesn't help those who can't get open chat but I'm just saying, there's something besides menu chat and being stuck there forever.

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks SparkleTude and Anecorbie for the clarification.

Moira Stormheart

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
I actually had an idea to improve menu chat. One of the main inconveniences about menu chat is the necessity to find what you want to say among all the different options. Suppose KI added another button within in the chat box next to the "say to everyone around you" button and the "say only to a group" button which when clicked would allow you to type into your chat box the phrase you want to find in menu chat and it would pop up. If you hit enter, then your character would say the phrase as with normal menu chat. It would essential be a search engine for menu chat phrases that can be navigated with your up and down arrows. For example if you wanted to say Hi, you would open your chat box and type "H" and all the menu phrases beginning with "H" would show up in a drop down list and you can use your up and down arrows to select the one you wish to say and hit enter to say it.

Any thoughts? Also sorry if I made no sense.

Moira Stormheart

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Moira Stormheart on May 10, 2017 wrote:
I actually had an idea to improve menu chat. One of the main inconveniences about menu chat is the necessity to find what you want to say among all the different options. Suppose KI added another button within in the chat box next to the "say to everyone around you" button and the "say only to a group" button which when clicked would allow you to type into your chat box the phrase you want to find in menu chat and it would pop up. If you hit enter, then your character would say the phrase as with normal menu chat. It would essential be a search engine for menu chat phrases that can be navigated with your up and down arrows. For example if you wanted to say Hi, you would open your chat box and type "H" and all the menu phrases beginning with "H" would show up in a drop down list and you can use your up and down arrows to select the one you wish to say and hit enter to say it.

Moira Stormheart
I understood that perfectly, Free Realms had that kind of Menu chat - plus it had a backslash for emotes.
For example if you wanted to LOL, instead of searching the list, you typed in" /lol ".

Defender
May 30, 2010

Moira Stormheart
That is a great idea.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012

Moira Stormheart
I like your idea; it's frustrating for everyone if communication in battle is restricted - more options for battle phrases and ease of access to use them is a great constructive suggestion

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009

Moira Stormheart
I really like this idea, the hardest part of menu chat is finding the phrase you want to use.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
It would be nice to tell if players are muted or just being a jerk. I ran in to a few wizards who has text chat yet he/she acts like they're muted. I added someone to my friends list who is level 11 and does not have a membership and every time I tried talking to him, he doesn't respond to what i'm saying. Yesterday I was getting ready to do a exalted duel dungeon.and this guy ported to me and said "come". I told him twice this dungeon is way above your level. He ignored what i said and said "come". Yet this guy text chat me saying "do you want to do this?" He freaked me out so I removed him.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 8, 2017 wrote:
It would be nice to tell if players are muted or just being a jerk. I ran in to a few wizards who has text chat yet he/she acts like they're muted. I added someone to my friends list who is level 11 and does not have a membership and every time I tried talking to him, he doesn't respond to what i'm saying. Yesterday I was getting ready to do a exalted duel dungeon.and this guy ported to me and said "come". I told him twice this dungeon is way above your level. He ignored what i said and said "come". Yet this guy text chat me saying "do you want to do this?" He freaked me out so I removed him.
It's possible they are differently abled and find typing to be very difficult but steering the wizard with their mouse or keys less difficult.

But I've had people who didn't seem differently abled, because they were way faster at navigating tricky sidewalks with their wizard than I was, way faster; and yet would only bark orders. "Port." "Follow." etc. and never talk to me.

So ya never know. All you can really do, if it bugs enough, is what you did. If it makes you uncomfortable for any reason, it's your game too.

I actually deleted the guy who did that to me too because although I had dropped everything to port to him and help him with a long dungeon, he gave me commands like I was a dog. If a person can type one word at a time, then maybe, one of them should be "please."

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 8, 2017 wrote:
It could be that this player has English as a second language and isn't fluent in it. I could say "come" in French or Spanish but would have a hard time with understanding even basic conversation.

Explorer
Oct 12, 2010
So most of know that mutes or people who can only used menu chats are downing in these years. Of course we still see them but only maybe one or two for every few days. But the world have more stagies and people need to talk to each other
So I am proposing that we get rid of mutes all together. Ok I know parents of young children would not like that but I will replace it with one of two things.
1. Filed chat in more that will only affect the under 18 people. Make unable to say numbers like one, two, three... or if fake numbers like ate and too in front normal words
Or
2.Have the child not be able to play unless she or he has a parent or older brother or sister (has to be 13 or older). So the child and the family will have to make a family account where more than one person can play. If the child try to get on without an older person, it will put he or her back to the menu

I know some people are going hate this and some are going love but if KI continues to make harder boss like everyone must get in the battle at the same time then we need to talk to each other. Also bosses in darkmoore and other hard bosses has cheats like you can not heal or something else crazy like that and if you have a mute he or she might not get that they are not suppose to heal until that boss is dead
Sorry to disagree, but that's not fair to people under 18. It's hard enough to use numbers in conversations that have nothing to do with age, but now you're proposing we make it even harder by completely taking away the ability to have a coherent conversation with one another?

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Or

Instead of penalize players, why not simply create areas and zones exclusive for Open Chat Players. This is no different than players with membership verse players without membership, and Level Restrictions on specific dungeons and locations. Just as there are Open Chat Players who enjoying teaming and socializing with Menu and Open Chat Players, there are also Open Chat Players who enjoying teaming and socializing just with other Open Chat Players.

Explorer
Oct 12, 2010
This is a stretch of an idea, but maybe with some thought it could work.

First off, give menu chat players the ability to have conversations with other players and give them a limited amount of words to chose from, such as disabling from using substituting words such as; tenth or ninth.

Then for the next step, award open and text chat players to understand their words, but if the older players attempt to use words such as tenth or eighth, it's simply blocked out.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
From the recent KI live it appears they will be making some additions to menu chat hopefully it will help. As far as getting rid of it, it is not happening, KI is just trying to protect children in compliance with current laws.

As for open vs. text chat, you can usually work around that to get your point across pretty easily, you just need an expanded vocabulary to replace blocked words with ones you can say. They can not include every proper word in the filter. For instead, instead of "whole" which is blocked you can use "entire" which is fine.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2011
I created my account several years ago, 2010 -ish I think. I was slightly under the age restriction when I started, but now am over it. I only use gift cards, I don't think using credit cards online is a good idea. I have a high leveled wizard that I have spent hundreds of dollars on. I am restricted to menu chat, even though I am over the age limit. I remember having to input my birthday when making my account. Maybe Kingsisle could make it so when you turned a certain age, you get access to the other chat.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2013
I understand your points,an easier solution to this would be for kingsisle to make them able to read text chat, this would help with miscommunication