Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Greater Mutate spells

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I like the idea of the mutate spells, that small branch of the sun school. Cast a mutate card onto the original spell card and you change its element and usually increase it's damage. I made extensive use of death Minotaur with my death wizard. It was very cool and other players were surprised to see it. I used it to get past death shields because I wasn't going to wait for a damage over time spell.

The thing is I have outgrown it, or rather It just doesn't pack enough punch to be used in the later worlds. Since the result of using a mutate spell is a temporary treasure card they cannot be buffed by other sun school spells like colossal or monstrous.
So why not release better versions of the mutate spells, and just add a higher level requirement? Have another mutate master in one of the advanced worlds that just sells better versions of the original mutate master's selection. No need to improve the secondary effects or change the animations. Just add more base damage or healing. Then I can cast G Death Minotaur, or S Death Minotaur if you like.

p.s. I also enjoy that mutate spells are two card spells, you have to draw both halves in order to cast, and the mutate card can't simply be used to improve any card unlike the other sun school spells. You really do have to plan a deck out if you intend to use mutate spells.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
Good idea but they wont add it was the arcs work like this:

1st Arc = Normal 7 schools of magic introduced

2nd Arc = Astral Schools introduced

End of 2nd/3rd Arc = Shadow magic

Because of this they probaly wont expand much on astral magic as they now have shadow and hopefully a new school (please light )

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
They added several utility spells to the basic schools after they released the astral schools. They have shown that they are willing to improve what is already there in addition to adding new things. I don't see why they wouldn't add more Astral spells and base school spells just because they released shadow magic.

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
Zebulous Newt on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
They added several utility spells to the basic schools after they released the astral schools. They have shown that they are willing to improve what is already there in addition to adding new things. I don't see why they wouldn't add more Astral spells and base school spells just because they released shadow magic.
Yes but story wise it made sense to add new spells to the basic schools as we had school trainers at ravenwood. But the astral spell trainers are all enchanted "rocks/obelisks", "totems" and advanced Celestial "computers" which are all ancient and it wouldnt make sense to get more spells from them.

Although KI could add new versions of these in later worlds it kinda wont make sense lore wise unless they are ancient and were in contact with either Morganthe or Celestia.

Edit: Sorry forgot about the Arcanum Astral trainer that is a person so yes they might add new spells, my mistake.
Ryan WindHunter lvl 102

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
The mutate master is a ghost. Though I suppose that amounts to the same thing. Pity there aren't any wizards working on improving ancient spells...

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
I think this is a great idea, I am facing a similar problem while using "Mutate Phoenix." I feel as though I've now wasted many training points learning phoenix and mutate phoenix since the damage is far below what my other 5-pip spells will do.

As far as the story-line argument goes, the spell "Enrage" was recently added to the Arcanum, it had no story-line attached to it. I don't think these spells would require any form of story-line as the original mutate master had no quests tied to him (as far as I'm aware) either.