Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

DoT for Monstrology

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 13, 2013
I used Wings of Fate on Sea-Booters with the Extract Undead spell and I only got one animus from each enemy. Can this issue please be dealt with? It's a single spell which caused their deaths and very handy for use with shielding enemies. I don't think DoT spells it should be penalised like this.

Thanks.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
The spell is not causing you to earn less animus, the amount of animus you get is random. Sometimes you will two or three, and sometimes you only get one. Also pay attention to your monstrology rank and make sure you are the same rank as the enemies.

Morgan Darkrider 120

Survivor
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks for reply, Morgan, but that is not the case. I was the correct Monstrology rank for Sea-Booters, which means that I will get 1 animus for a hit and 1 for a kill every time. The amount is random only if your rank is different from the creature's. Besides, I fought them several times, just to be sure. This appears to be a problem with the coding where DoT doesn't count as a kill.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has seen something similar, or who can prove I'm worrying over nothing.

Thanks.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
Again like I said the amount of animus is random, I had the same thing happen to me a few times using deer knight. I have a life friend that uses wings of fate also and the amount is just random. Sometimes you just get random amounts, and the higher the rank the harder it is to collect a large amount of animus.

Morgan Darkrider 120

Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
Posting another reply because I forgot to add this, if you don't one shot them you will only get one animus from each.

Survivor
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks again, Morgan. But that seems to be what I'm saying: why don't DoT spells count as a one shot? I can kind of understand why it doesn't but it's annoying. It's a single spell that kills so why should that be any different from any other spell?

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Samuel Sunheart on Apr 16, 2017 wrote:
Thanks again, Morgan. But that seems to be what I'm saying: why don't DoT spells count as a one shot? I can kind of understand why it doesn't but it's annoying. It's a single spell that kills so why should that be any different from any other spell?
I have had the same issue using Deer Knight; rank was not the problem, I tried out on lower level undead and noticed that with khrulhu I always got max animus, but with deer knight it was random even if it killed all on first round.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
I think the problem is the overtime, since wings of fate only does damage through overtime its only collecting once. If its the overtime doing the killing you will only collect one. I would suggest using something else until they figure out what to do.

Morgan Darkrider 120

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
From my experience using a DoT, if it doesn't take the creature/s out on the initial hit, you only get 1 Animus.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Sorry for the confusion. We've added a note to the Update Notes to clarify that this is working correctly:

"Note that if you are enchanting a Damage Over Time (DoT) spell with an Animus Extraction card, you will only be credited animus for the initial attack against the enemy, even if your DoT spell eventually defeats the enemy."