Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crowns Disadvantage

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 14, 2010
Crowns consumers have a disadvantage in events and PVP. It is unfair that you have to get a membership to have "double rewards" effects to work. I for one buy the membership for double rewards but I do not need the other perks like unlimited ranked pvp matches(which I will come back to later) and areas that I have either unlocked with crowns or am not interested in going to those areas, I just want my double rewards without having to spend $10 just on that. The other thing is crowns spenders shouldn't have to pay for pvp matches, nobody should have to pay for pvp matches in the first place, it should be a free feature to the game, but I digress. I think the solution to this would be that the "membership double rewards" system should kick in permanently after a person has spent enough money on crowns, I'd say $60 is fair.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Closowskii on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
Crowns consumers have a disadvantage in events and PVP. It is unfair that you have to get a membership to have "double rewards" effects to work. I for one buy the membership for double rewards but I do not need the other perks like unlimited ranked pvp matches(which I will come back to later) and areas that I have either unlocked with crowns or am not interested in going to those areas, I just want my double rewards without having to spend $10 just on that. The other thing is crowns spenders shouldn't have to pay for pvp matches, nobody should have to pay for pvp matches in the first place, it should be a free feature to the game, but I digress. I think the solution to this would be that the "membership double rewards" system should kick in permanently after a person has spent enough money on crowns, I'd say $60 is fair.
It is a "MEMBER" reward. All the extra benefits are for those who have a membership. Nothing kicks in permanently unless you have a membership.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I'm a Crowns player, I don't consider myself at a disadvantage in playing either Wizard or Pirate. I buy the zones and they're mine ( as long as the game lasts ) that's my "perk".
Ranked PVP is a big money maker for KI, why should they make it free for everyone? You can play practice all you wish as a FtP player.
A permanent "membership double rewards" should only go to those who have a current membership, why else have membership perks if they could go to just anyone?
Remember membership helps pay for this game and member deserve those benefits.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I afraid all I have to say is your Greedy. It's called member benefits for a specific reason. You don't get to be in an elite University as an example if your not a member and have the requirements, same thing here you want the dope you pay the dough as in the expression.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
if you bought every world/area in crowns... you'll spend roughly $260... and that's it, you spending anything else is pointless, you got it all, no need for Kingsisles to get you to want to buy stuff.... membership.... you never quit spending money, because you'll always need to renew it...... you'll always be a prime source for KI to get paid

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
also pvp is free.... if you meant ranked or tournament.... again, KI needs to get paid in order to keep this game going for as long as it has.... pvp.. is your cup of water.... it's free, take it as much as you life.... Ranked/Tournament, is you soda.... you know you want it, soda is better than water... and since i know you want the Soda, i can make you pay to get some..... Supply and Demand

Survivor
Sep 22, 2016
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
I afraid all I have to say is your Greedy. It's called member benefits for a specific reason. You don't get to be in an elite University as an example if your not a member and have the requirements, same thing here you want the dope you pay the dough as in the expression.
that analogy doesnt really work. you pay for each class (zone) you take. and i dont remember there being a membership to university. the elite ones either. you get accept, pay them a ton of fees to be enrolled... but then still have to buy those classes or you are just only enrolled, which will end if you dont buy those classes.

i think the zone total is more than that too but thats still a huge amount of money. but it doesnt matter, most people who get memberships, do they really stay around playing the game spending 260 in membership fees total or more than that?

and yeah, it may be greedy, but isnt it selfish that someone who buys a membership posts that only members should get benefits? we all spend money on the game. ive spent way way way more than that 260 (mostly on packs really) and never had a membership mainly because i dont like that ticking clock in the back in my head telling me to play or i lose money. i like to play when i want to play, now when the clock says i have to (im sure its different for everyone, thats just me). i can also start another wizard and play that one without thinking i should only being playing the one to get it to max or as high as possible before the membership runs out (i dont do recurring on anything. i will forget and get in trouble or stop playing for awhile and REALLY waste money).

i dont think crown players should get all the benefits members do, but some perks would be nice. bigger backpack space would be nice. members got a boost when they already had more and crowns didnt get anything. or maybe we could get member benefits the month we spent 60 or more dollars on crowns.

but really, for me, more backpack space would be nice since i bought so many packs and have to stop at 80 and empty the backpack before i can buy more packs... kind makes me limit buying. but then, that may be a good thing, the money i would spend if i had 200 backpack space compared to 80... oh boy

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
@iridian even members don't have 200 backpack space, but it would be nice.

i used to buy all my memberships 1 year at a time. but, since i went back to college last year, i'm on a month-to-month basis now~ i know i don't have time to play during the year, and i'd be out $60 that would be better used elsewhere (only reason i'm even here now is that me and my broken leg are on academic hiatus and i needed something to do).

/tangent.

back on topic, @dragonlady nailed it: member rewards are for members, and that's the beginning and end of it.

-von

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Dr Von on Mar 28, 2017 wrote:

i used to buy all my memberships 1 year at a time. but, since i went back to college last year, i'm on a month-to-month basis now~ i know i don't have time to play during the year, and i'd be out $60 that would be better used elsewhere (only reason i'm even here now is that me and my broken leg are on academic hiatus and i needed something to do).

/tangent.

back on topic, @dragonlady nailed it: member rewards are for members, and that's the beginning and end of it.

-von
Hope the game is taking your mind off your leg, friend!

Survivor
Apr 14, 2010
All I'm saying is that you can buy all areas for permanent which is about $170 up to mirage and all the side dungeons and you don't need memberships for areas, just need it for faster energy regeneration, PVP, backpack space and double benefits for members only. If i can buy areas for permanent why can't I buy some or all of those member benefits for permanent? I guess what I'm trying to say is not to have a "permanent' membership but more like having benefits with spending so much money on crowns such as an automatic member double rewards. I've spent more than $1,000 on this game in crowns but I don't see any more benefits at this point than just buying items with it. If anything this will get you more money, buying a "permanent double rewards benefit" for whenever that time of the month comes, I know people will spend money and so will I to get that, no matter if it's going to be $200.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Closowskii on Mar 29, 2017 wrote:
All I'm saying is that you can buy all areas for permanent which is about $170 up to mirage and all the side dungeons and you don't need memberships for areas, just need it for faster energy regeneration, PVP, backpack space and double benefits for members only. If i can buy areas for permanent why can't I buy some or all of those member benefits for permanent? I guess what I'm trying to say is not to have a "permanent' membership but more like having benefits with spending so much money on crowns such as an automatic member double rewards. I've spent more than $1,000 on this game in crowns but I don't see any more benefits at this point than just buying items with it. If anything this will get you more money, buying a "permanent double rewards benefit" for whenever that time of the month comes, I know people will spend money and so will I to get that, no matter if it's going to be $200.
I'm sorry, but what don't you understand about "member benefits"? It is self explanatory and crowns players who buy areas aren't members. Yes, you can post here on these forums if you buy a certain amount of crowns each month but that doesn't give you the requirement that is needed to access those benefits.

I actually pay less per month for 2 accounts mainly because I rarely buy crowns but I do have access to all member benefits.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
sorry, but had to chime in on this one;

a year membership equates to 5 dollars a month.

members are more likely to play more often, use Test Realm, have a sense of ownership, and give constructive opinions for improvement; all of which helps KI invest for the evolution and growth of the game. members SHOULD get perks for staying active in game and helping out the Devs with ideas to keep things moving in the right direction. (it is a thank you to us for staying active; it's not a GIMME).

without memberships, KI would have a rough time being able to gauge active players and what the Wiz Community wants.

And, um, don't you have to be a Member to even post here?
(correct me if wrong).

here is my analogy of your point;
Buying zones is like ordering Take Out or Fast Food To Go.
Buying a membership is making a Reservation where you will be dining for a while and giving feed back to the Chef.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
If your going for that maybe king isle should make a for life membership that would apply to all family accounts. It would last 100 years and would cost 3-6k bucks. This would allow you to play with out the need to ever upgrade again and would prove you the quality for that.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
SilverbackMonkey on Mar 29, 2017 wrote:
sorry, but had to chime in on this one;

a year membership equates to 5 dollars a month.

members are more likely to play more often, use Test Realm, have a sense of ownership, and give constructive opinions for improvement; all of which helps KI invest for the evolution and growth of the game. members SHOULD get perks for staying active in game and helping out the Devs with ideas to keep things moving in the right direction. (it is a thank you to us for staying active; it's not a GIMME).

without memberships, KI would have a rough time being able to gauge active players and what the Wiz Community wants.

And, um, don't you have to be a Member to even post here?
(correct me if wrong).

here is my analogy of your point;
Buying zones is like ordering Take Out or Fast Food To Go.
Buying a membership is making a Reservation where you will be dining for a while and giving feed back to the Chef.
I buy game cards to use for buying zones, these cards give me the privilege to post ( for 30 days. ) If I've bought crowns during the time there is a test realm, I also get the right to do test realm and make reports on bugs, glitches and give feedback to KI about their game. I make just as much an investment in this game as a member.
I take issue with your analogy with a restaraunt, ( for crowns players ) to me it's more like buying a home, while members are renting that same house.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 30, 2017 wrote:
I buy game cards to use for buying zones, these cards give me the privilege to post ( for 30 days. ) If I've bought crowns during the time there is a test realm, I also get the right to do test realm and make reports on bugs, glitches and give feedback to KI about their game. I make just as much an investment in this game as a member.
I take issue with your analogy with a restaraunt, ( for crowns players ) to me it's more like buying a home, while members are renting that same house.
I understand you thoughts on buying zones which you do own for life. But, at some point, hopefully in the very distant future, the game may very well come to an end or be discontinued for some odd reason. For those who are members, they just stop paying to play. For those who have bought all those zones, even though they will be able to access the game, there will be NO new content/patches or SUPPORT if something goes wrong.

@SilverbackMonkey, no, you don't have to be a memeber to post, BUT, as a crowns player, you do have to purchase $10 worth of crowns each month. For any 30 days that you don't buy those crowns, you can read but not post.

Survivor
Sep 22, 2016
Dr Von on Mar 28, 2017 wrote:

/tangent.

-von
haha, yeah, i know members dont have 200 space. i was trying to make a point about everyone having more space, would let us spend more money on packs a time :p

but wasnt it, members had 120 and the rest had 80? then members went up to 150 and the rest stayed at 80?

it all boils down to incentives for players. members have tons of them, crown players have almost nothing. both types spend lots of money on this game. yes they are called "member" rewards but thats just a name, why can they not be expanded or have crown player rewards as well?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The way I look at it, I wish I had known that buying things with crowns means lifetime access but buying a membership means paying 60 dollars or more a year for as long as the game continues.
Then I still have to buy crowns if I want crowns gear, or to stich gear, and other things.

So I have paid what a crowns player paid many times over, but for the same thing.

If there are a couple of things I get that they don't get it doesn't seem that unfair. I think everyone should get the same, but I also think it makes no sense some players pay each year and some pay once for the same access.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I get what you're saying but I think $60 in Crowns is nowhere near fair when compared to membership rewards. (I say this as a member who also uses Crowns.)

Membership is a steady flow and ensures KI gets a lifeblood of income to keep their operations running. It takes work to end a membership - i.e. people have to go out of their way to shut it off. Otherwise, it just renews month after month (or year after year). Crowns purchases, on the other hand, can be very sporadic and unreliable.

What if a person buys $60 in Crowns just once and then never buys anything more ever again? How does that compare to the annual membership of $60-$80, over five years...? That's $300-$400 vs only $60. The person who spends $60 in 5 years should not get the same privilege as someone who spends $300 or more during that same period of time.

On the other hand, I do see your point to an extent and where someone is paying out more than $300 in Crowns, perhaps they should be let in on some of the perks.

One thing I would love to see KingsIsle make available is a Crowns elixir that could double our pet training experience, our gardening rewards, or our daily assignment rewards for a set period of time. An hour, maybe, in the case of pet training; or for one 15 minute span while we harvest our plants. Make it available to everyone, including Crowns players. I mean, they already have hatching elixirs, gold boosting and quest-experience boosting elixirs. Why not let us buy a higher rate of experience/reward for pet training or gardening...?

During the time when members are offered several days of double experience/rewards, perhaps offer the same to non-members for a Crowns price. Maybe 10,000 Crowns for the four day period where experience is doubled..?

Alia Misthaven

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
there's a reddit post that a guy has calculated all the worlds and areas, if bought with crowns.. he calculated up to polaris (mirage didnt exist) and this is his final edit

At maximum efficiency, all the zones cost $207.11. Memberships are normally $79.95 a year. There's multiple rates but both are at maximum efficiency. The point in which they are roughly equal (20 cents difference) is at 3 years assuming that you only use the $80 crowns pack. 80X3=$240 and 79.95X3=$239.85. That being said, you need 155,335 crowns to buy everything and three $80 packs give you 180,000 crowns. That's 24,665 extra crowns. If you were to only buy two $80 packs, you would need 35,335 more crowns, which you could just buy another $50 pack for 30,000 crowns, another $10 pack for 5,000 crowns and another $5 pack for 2,500 crowns. That would save you $15 with 2,165 crowns to play with afterwords. 120,000+30,000+2,500>35,335. Difference= 2,165, which is as close as you can get. Also, 80X3=$160, while (80X2)+50+10+5=$65. $240>$225 TL;DR 2: At 3 years, a constant membership is more expensive than just buying everything if done right at normal maximum bulk rates for both. I don't really feel the need for calculating the rest of the rates and mix and matching.

so basically, once you bought all the worlds, you're done.... no more need for you...

running out of space, next reply for how to fix this

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Solution 1: if you bought every current thing in crowns, your name will have a green C by it (crown logo) and you'll gain benefits of a membership player, though if a new thing were to be added, needing to be bought to enter, you'll lose the green C, until you buy it

Solution 2: take Double pet XP for example, everyone gets it, but having membership, (or the green C) you'll also get 1/2 off energy use.... so everyone is happy, and members still get their perks

Solution 3: If you bought membership once, or bought, 5 areas.... you'll be given the 150 inventory... since it's clear enough you'll going to be a loyal player, and having membership (or the Green C) you'll have 250 inventory slots, so still a perk for having membership..... people who dont buy 5 areas, or membership, are stuck with the 80 inventory slots till you do...

make a balance where everyone gets benefited... by having membership, having every area, idk

Survivor
Apr 14, 2010
I think a lot of you misunderstand me, I'm not asking for all the benefits of a membership after a certain amount of money spent on crowns. First of all, Kingsisle gets a lot more money from crowns than memberships so the game won't die off of people not paying for memberships because new items keep coming out that require crowns and a majority of people will always be there to buy crowns to get those items. Back to my point, I'm asking for certain benefits such as double gardening, double pet experience, double daily missions, etc. to kick in after a certain amount of money spent on crowns. I've spent more money on crowns many times over than memberships and I see myself having to always buy memberships JUST for those double rewards even though I don't need any other benefits the membership comes with. I either want double rewards to benefit crowns payers too or I'm asking to be able to buy that aspect of the game separately from the memberships. I'm giving Kingsisle a way to earn money and people think I'm trying to give free money to people who don't spend money on this game in the first place.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2010
camahawk on Apr 2, 2017 wrote:
Solution 1: if you bought every current thing in crowns, your name will have a green C by it (crown logo) and you'll gain benefits of a membership player, though if a new thing were to be added, needing to be bought to enter, you'll lose the green C, until you buy it

Solution 2: take Double pet XP for example, everyone gets it, but having membership, (or the green C) you'll also get 1/2 off energy use.... so everyone is happy, and members still get their perks

Solution 3: If you bought membership once, or bought, 5 areas.... you'll be given the 150 inventory... since it's clear enough you'll going to be a loyal player, and having membership (or the Green C) you'll have 250 inventory slots, so still a perk for having membership..... people who dont buy 5 areas, or membership, are stuck with the 80 inventory slots till you do...

make a balance where everyone gets benefited... by having membership, having every area, idk
I like the idea of that, I also think that once you spend money on this game you should permanently have 150 bag space, i mean people don't get memberships for more bag space, what do you do with bag space when you have no access to areas right? This would solve one of the problems I have with crowns spenders not getting equal benefits.

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
I do think it's silly that crowns players get classified as free to play players. I don't think they should be treated as members obviously because otherwise no one would get a membership. I do think there ought to be, after you spend a certain amount of crowns, you qualify as a crowns player and that grants you posting privileges and maybe a slightly bigger backpack than a free to play. Depending on the amount of crowns necessary to qualify, KI could make the distinction permanent or require a yearly amount of crowns to be spent to continue qualify as a crowns player. In any case, the divide between a crowns player and a free to play should be much greater.

Moira Stormheart