Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Would You Still Play Wizard101 If...

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
I recently had a thought, and it made me really curious as to what others think. What if Wizard101 wasn't an interactive, online, multiplayer platform. One of the best things I enjoy about Wizard101, is the chance to meet new people and accomplish difficult tasks with others, making the expierence all the more enjoyable. Personally I feel as we move forward in the industry of video games as a society, more and more games have adapted this multiplayer platform setting where playing is actually in a social environment rather than by yourself. From what I understand this is due to a feeling of more competivenss and interactivity, allowing players to better immerse and enjoy themselves while playing a video game. So here is my question to you. Would you continue to play Wizard101 if there was minimal to no social interaction between players, and it resembled a more single person adventure themed (because that's what the storyline is at heart) type of game? Any feedback would be very appreciated as I am curious what you guys think.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
JoshStormWiz on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
I recently had a thought, and it made me really curious as to what others think. What if Wizard101 wasn't an interactive, online, multiplayer platform. One of the best things I enjoy about Wizard101, is the chance to meet new people and accomplish difficult tasks with others, making the expierence all the more enjoyable. Personally I feel as we move forward in the industry of video games as a society, more and more games have adapted this multiplayer platform setting where playing is actually in a social environment rather than by yourself. From what I understand this is due to a feeling of more competivenss and interactivity, allowing players to better immerse and enjoy themselves while playing a video game. So here is my question to you. Would you continue to play Wizard101 if there was minimal to no social interaction between players, and it resembled a more single person adventure themed (because that's what the storyline is at heart) type of game? Any feedback would be very appreciated as I am curious what you guys think.
Probably Not.

Without other players, I feel we lose importance on aspects of the game like sigil team ups, team buffs, team healing and PvP.

Perhaps if the storyline and enemies were more tethered to a specifically one-point perspective type of play, such as only one spot on your side of the battle circle and/or more chances to further increase visual aspects due to no other players clogging up the realms I might consider it then.

Besides, you can always experience an idea of a one-player gameplay if you remain in a dead realm

Nice theory.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Genevieve HexPyre 60+ Looking Funky, Looking Fly
(Currently questing through Zafaria)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
JoshStormWiz on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
yes, i would still play.

due to time-zone conflicts, i've soloed most of the game on 4 wizards anyway. so it wouldn't be a stretch for me.

that said, i like having the option to quest with friends... as long as it's an option, and not something that's forced or required for quest progression. if i want to socialize, i will~ if i don't, i'll go hidden and enjoy my own company.

-von

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I most likely wont.

A huge part of why I still play the game is because of the people in it. If communication was a really rare sight to see my interest would die quickly.

Survivor
Jan 16, 2015
yes i would play the free-to-play part but no membership and i would quit quickly because i'd be bored

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I would not. Playing alone in this type of game is not my style of fun.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The MMO is not what drew me into this game (though it is nice to chat with people and to get help at times). No, what I enjoy the very most is decorating houses and questing, both things that I can do alone quite nicely. So even if the MMO went away tomorrow, I'd probably continue to play just for the housing and storyline.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Well, I don't know. Since I already play I would give it a try and stick it out for a while.
Let me put it this way.
I do not ever dust off my old disc based computer games. (Those are just me and the NPCs.)

I often play on invisible in this game and I almost always solo.

But when I want some human interaction I can go do a team up or quest with friends for a while.

I like that option.

Hero
May 07, 2015
no, I would not. I would quit and go play some other MMO.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Jun 5, 2017 wrote:
The MMO is not what drew me into this game (though it is nice to chat with people and to get help at times). No, what I enjoy the very most is decorating houses and questing, both things that I can do alone quite nicely. So even if the MMO went away tomorrow, I'd probably continue to play just for the housing and storyline.

Alia Misthaven
I enjoy the houses and decorating very much also.
Toward that end by the way KI we really really need more bank space, more backpack space, and larger vaults.

We also need at least 6 housing slots per wizard.

When I played Sims I didn't really "play" Sims I just used the money 'cheat' (it's not a cheat if it's coded in by the company, cough) and designed houses.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
I had never played a "game" before,,,,got Wizards so I could watch my grandson play when he came to visit for the summer...he was to teach me how to play my wizard once he went home...that was years ago, and my grandson is an adult now!!...I love this game and have played solo 90% of the time...Ive gotten to level 86 playing solo BUT also played with teams in difficult dungeons ....thats what makes this game a #1 family game....my adult friend has two girls in middle school...they play...and they play to buy a house and lots of stuff! to put into it..thats it......there are adults that play with their little kids....some have big kids and get more competitive,,,,then when all the kids are gone, the adults play with friend adults and get thru the game with flare and gung-ho....there is a variety of paths that a wizard can go and enjoy the route.....want to play pvp?do it!...want to do a garden/fish?..do it.....KEEP the option of solo and team play!

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
I wouldn't play. I don't like games that don't have a multiplayer format, it becomes tedious after a while. Although, if it seemed interesting enough I would try to play and if it seemed interesting enough, but I wouldn't be on too much. I like MMORPGs with multiplayer formats much more than ones with singleplayer formats.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2017
No, i wouldn't. Like Fiona, i don't like games that don't have a multiplayer kind of format. I sometimes do play solo games if they're fun, but not often. I would play for awhile, but i would most likely get bored and stop playing after a few days.

Defender
May 11, 2009
It really wouldnt be wizard101 at that point

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
I would not play wizard101 as a single player at all. The online interactions is what the game is built on, so taking it away would be a dated and simpler Magic the Gathering video game. without the online feature, there would be no socializing, hard tasks, bazaar, housing, pvp and much more.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
Until I got text chat there would be no battle plan whatsoever. Now that I do, I'm becoming more social and having more friends I can communicate with and have friends who understand what it is like to have tried the quest before. That's just my thoughts, because the point of Wiz is to make friends and go on quests, but I feel I still am going to solo on another character. I'm on both sides of the situation here.

~ Alexis 72