Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Oni, Helephants, Elephants and Olyphants

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 18, 2011
What is the difference, i mean fire get a spell called fire helephant in Zafaria they are called both elephants and olyphants, in the tower of the helephant they are called oni and in mooshu they are called oni. so i mean yeah whats the difference?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Mar 16, 2017 wrote:
What is the difference, i mean fire get a spell called fire helephant in Zafaria they are called both elephants and olyphants, in the tower of the helephant they are called oni and in mooshu they are called oni. so i mean yeah whats the difference?
I believe an Oni in real life is some sort of demon type creature that could possible resemble the "elephants" we see in Mooshu whereas the helephant is a wizard101 created creature with the combination of the two words "hell" and "elephant".

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 115+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Mar 16, 2017 wrote:
In appearance, there's not any difference. But culturally there is a difference. An "oni" in Japan is simply an evil spirit or a type of ogre ( they seem to blend ).
A Helephant is obviously a fire spirit from the Infernal ( pardon me, moderators, when I point out that the word "hell" is part of it's name ).
Elephant and Olyphant seem to be different social classes in Zafaria, as in "aristocrats" and "commoners".

Survivor
Dec 15, 2010
Oni is the term used for Elephants in Mooshu, though they have most likely made it to other worlds across the spiral, just like other enemies that have journeyed across the spiral. The same can be applied to Helephants and Olyphant's, though I personally think that these two terms currently have no way to differentiate from each other, as I don't think either of them come from any worlds that are released now, but in the future I believe we will discover more about the history of these creatures. It could be possible Helephants originated from Dragonspyre, as there are several ties to Helephants to Dragonspyre, the fire spell not being the only example. In Dragonspyre, there is the main quest you must do that requires you to time travel back to the past in order to confront a Helephant, which is very similar to the design of the Helephant in the fire spell, though I could be completely off here.

This is only my thoughts to the question, don't take any of the things I discussed above as fact nor should it ever to be considered as the most likely answer to the question you asked. This is just off of memory and could probably be expanded upon.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
My guess is that these aren't exactly the same creatures, and that's why different words are being used to describe them in the game.

In the real world...

Helephant may be a made up word, as it doesn't exist in any dictionary. However, it sounds really close to Heirophant, a Greek word for a priest who interprets sacred mysteries. Many people believe elephants are wise, so that might explain why the Fire spell is called by this name. The Helephant spell is a trainable spell earned at level 42.

An Olyphant is a hunter's horn made from an elephant's tusk. In Zafaria, we only fight the Olyphants and work with the elephants. Perhaps the Olyphants in Zafaria are elephants who have become corrupted and evil.

An Oni is a Japanese demon or troll; they can be evil or just mischievous. In Mooshu, the Oni's are elephant-like creatures that are causing trouble by possessing the warlords of Mooshu.

In Wizard101, it seems like each of these elephant type creatures is different from the others, and so they each have different words to describe what they are.

Alia Misthaven