Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fizzle Tells

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 03, 2010
So, have you ever noticed that, besides the smoke coming out of the casting symbol, there are subtle tells to show ahead of time whether or not your spell fizzled?

For example, if you notice, when you cast a fire spell, there will be two fireballs swirling around you, which are a dark, hearty red. But if you fizzle, you will notice that these fireballs are a lighter shade of red than they would be if you hit?

As well as for death spells, there is a cool circle in the middle of the skull symbol. But if you fizzle, that smooth circle will appear very grainy! (hard to explain this one, if you want proof, get a death dispel on, then cast a spell and pay attention to the middle of the symbol)

Have you found any tells like this for the other schools? Let's make a list of them!

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Actually I have, but not visually. I play with sound on so when my Myth is going to fizzle (literally a 1% chance) There's a different sound than when i regularly cast.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
Cody Lighthunter on Feb 26, 2017 wrote:
So, have you ever noticed that, besides the smoke coming out of the casting symbol, there are subtle tells to show ahead of time whether or not your spell fizzled?

For example, if you notice, when you cast a fire spell, there will be two fireballs swirling around you, which are a dark, hearty red. But if you fizzle, you will notice that these fireballs are a lighter shade of red than they would be if you hit?

As well as for death spells, there is a cool circle in the middle of the skull symbol. But if you fizzle, that smooth circle will appear very grainy! (hard to explain this one, if you want proof, get a death dispel on, then cast a spell and pay attention to the middle of the symbol)

Have you found any tells like this for the other schools? Let's make a list of them!

The only way that is absolute to know ahead of time is look at your mana. If your mana goes down, it worked. If not, it fizzled. The seeing light and dark balls or the sound (referring to the myth person who responded) I think is a psychological thing where your brain is psyching you to think you see/hear those things.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Mello Lily on Mar 1, 2017 wrote:
The only way that is absolute to know ahead of time is look at your mana. If your mana goes down, it worked. If not, it fizzled. The seeing light and dark balls or the sound (referring to the myth person who responded) I think is a psychological thing where your brain is psyching you to think you see/hear those things.
Actually I've tested the mana before. You use mana wether you fizzle or not.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
yeah, ive noticed animations for when it DOES work, so when I dont see that animation, I know Im fizzling. I've noticed that fire has 2 animations. one is what looks like a stutter in the casting, and theother is fire looking like it's coming down from the top of the screen. Those two are guaranteed castings if I see them. it has NEVER failed since I've been aware of them

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Mello Lily on Mar 1, 2017 wrote:
Actually, the only way your mana doesn't go down is if you were stunned. Whether or not you actually perform the casting animation determines if you are using mana for that spell.

I know with the storm animation, the high pitch electric noise is slightly higher when fizzling.

I personally really like when ice spells fizzle. The sudden cracking sound of an ice fizzle is really unique and has such a distinct sound. It also means I'm not going to be stunned that round

(Sorry Ice Wizards lol)

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 90+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
thelastdiviner on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:
Actually, the only way your mana doesn't go down is if you were stunned. Whether or not you actually perform the casting animation determines if you are using mana for that spell.

I know with the storm animation, the high pitch electric noise is slightly higher when fizzling.

I personally really like when ice spells fizzle. The sudden cracking sound of an ice fizzle is really unique and has such a distinct sound. It also means I'm not going to be stunned that round

(Sorry Ice Wizards lol)

Then I believe things have changed then, because that trick used to work. But my accuracy is 102% and I rarely get smoke screens, and even when I do, I don't typically fizzle, so it's not something I have to worry about.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
thelastdiviner on Mar 2, 2017 wrote:

(Sorry Ice Wizards lol)

Actually, mana (for an attack spell) also won't go down if you're in a team and the people before you kill.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I've always noticed that the storm casting sound is slightly different when I'm in the process of drawing the symbol. The same goes for all other schools as well, but I just notice this one more often.