Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level 10 with Burning Rampage

AuthorMessage
Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Ah, PvP. Where the match system pits a level 10 captain against a level 37 sergeant. Where a level 5 can proudly strut around with warlord displayed over his or her head thanks to mastery amulets, a ton of gold, and a "warlord in an hour" tutorial. Where bullies and trolls go to master their craft. And where a level 10 can hit another level 10 with Burning Rampage.

Burning Rampage is, as most of us know, not a TC. Burning Rampage is a spell that pops into your spellbook-if you're really lucky-after beating a boss in Avalon. In a stone key dungeon. This means that in order for a level 10 to use Burning Rampage, they must have battled in a dungeon reserved for players who have struggled and quested their way to Avalon.

Years ago, high level players were somewhat shocked to find themselves fighting Celestia NPCs alongside initiates, who often fled the battle after realizing there was no way in the Spiral they would survive. It would seem we now have low level players, heck-bent on farming Lambent Fire, who have convinced their higher-level friends to let them do so. Or they multi-play with their own high level wizards, farming over and over again.

We will never be rid of TCs in PvP. Ever. And most of us have learned to work around that. Sadly, the adage "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" comes into play, and those of us who are loathe to fall back on TCs have been forced to do exactly that. But Burning Rampage? No. No level 10 should have access to Burning Rampage.

How to solve this problem? Well, KI could make Rampage a TC, thus giving everyone access to it. Or KI could finally put a system into place that bars low level wizards from accessing second and third arc worlds. Yes, I know it's super fun to level 5 times in 10 minutes, thanks to your level 60 friend who lets you port to them in Zafaria. But that's not really how the game is supposed to work. If you want to skip all your quests, use that level 50 potion in the Crowns shop.

Let me end this diatribe on a less positive note. I really did watch a PvP battle between a level 10 captain and a level 37 sergeant. I really did die to Burning Rampage, cast on my level 6 fire wizard, by a level 10 myth wizard. And I am really, really tired of the wonky, weird, and frustrating mess PvP has become. But I will still stagger into the arena, hoping against hope, that perhaps THIS match will be fair.

Then a unicorn will appear in my living room.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
1. I'm going to take a guess and say that your level 10 captain and your level 37 sargeant chose the find all opponents option. If the level 10 was a commander I doubt there'd be too much issue, I've seen warlords and commanders with really high stats for their level thanks to Commander and Glemdemming gear. I once got my level 90 rear end kicked by a level 50 warlord.
2. Not an issue, and I highly doubt that mastery amulets are the defining factor there since power pip chance is so low at level 5. He's just good.
3. This is an issue with people, not PvP. If you see a bully or troll, report him if he's doing something reportable.
4. Burning Rampage is just plain broken.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
oh my gosh I know just how you are feeling right now, I think burning rampage is way to powerful at level 5 to 10 pvp. I know for I've been hit with it countless times its not even funny, it needs to get nerfed a bit or too!

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
I agree completely; some spells should have a level cap (at least in arena).

seems its too late for that now though; I am in your camp of 'Arena is Broken'.

I have been doing pvp for years, and it has become a Ghost Town compared to what it used to be.
Friday Night Fights (as we used to call them) are gone.

Let's hope it turns around.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
SilverbackMonkey on Feb 9, 2017 wrote:
I agree completely; some spells should have a level cap (at least in arena).

seems its too late for that now though; I am in your camp of 'Arena is Broken'.

I have been doing pvp for years, and it has become a Ghost Town compared to what it used to be.
Friday Night Fights (as we used to call them) are gone.

Let's hope it turns around.
I remember Friday Night Fights! Those were an absolute blast, and often, you could fill up your friend list in an hour while laughing so hard, you couldn't type. Oh I miss those, too. :(

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Snee432 on Feb 10, 2017 wrote:
I remember Friday Night Fights! Those were an absolute blast, and often, you could fill up your friend list in an hour while laughing so hard, you couldn't type. Oh I miss those, too. :(
Right??

let's hope we can go back to the good old days; at least with the Fun