Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Looking to get in to pvp, not sure where to start

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 21, 2009
I've watched so many pvp videos on YouTube, but I've never done it before. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm just not sure where to start. I have many mid level accounts, and I was wondering if anyone could help me get into pvp with even one of them:
  • Level 83 Fire
  • Level 70 Ice
  • Level 63 Life
  • Level 52 Death
  • Level 47 Myth
  • Level 45 Storm
I have a few questions about pvp, and my characters specifically:

• What's the best school for it's level that I have currently, and if it's near a certain threshold, what level do I need to train it to? (For instance I could train my storm to level 48 and get Storm Lord)
  • What gear should I have for said wizard? I'm a total noob when it comes to gear, I usually just get crafted at 56 and skip over waterworks. For my Fire and Ice, I changed to crafted gear once I saw the stats that crafted gear gives.
  • What deck setup should I have for my wizard? What kind of treasure cards should I have in my side?
I'm a bit new to pet breeding, but I'll soon be playing around with it once I get my mega plants to start producing!

If you've made it this far, I thank you, and if you have anything that could help me, I thank you even more!

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
You could take one of your wizards that are above level 60 and raise them to level 100. These schools are near top-tier.

Death and Myth aren't good at max level, but you can still try to PvP at level 60.

Storm is good only in team matches, which aren't as common as 1v1s.

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Isabella Moonbrigh... on Jan 15, 2017 wrote:
I've watched so many pvp videos on YouTube, but I've never done it before. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm just not sure where to start. I have many mid level accounts, and I was wondering if anyone could help me get into pvp with even one of them:
  • Level 83 Fire
  • Level 70 Ice
  • Level 63 Life
  • Level 52 Death
  • Level 47 Myth
  • Level 45 Storm

• What's the best school for it's level that I have currently, and if it's near a certain threshold, what level do I need to train it to? (For instance I could train my storm to level 48 and get Storm Lord)
  • What gear should I have for said wizard? I'm a total noob when it comes to gear, I usually just get crafted at 56 and skip over waterworks. For my Fire and Ice, I changed to crafted gear once I saw the stats that crafted gear gives.
  • What deck setup should I have for my wizard? What kind of treasure cards should I have in my side?
I'm a bit new to pet breeding, but I'll soon be playing around with it once I get my mega plants to start producing!

If you've made it this far, I thank you, and if you have anything that could help me, I thank you even more!
Hi, just wanted to drop by and say, don't do lvl 60 pvp because even when you are a private you will always face low lvl warlords like, i think 30-50 and boy do they like to try to win xD. Do lvl 60 pvp at your own risk but just warning you may not enjoy it. I could help you with all your classes but it depends how in-depth information your looking for, i can do detailed or lightly sprinkled with tips like a delicious crispy creme donut with sprinkles(man its been forever since i had a donut).

But besides that all you have to do is ask(with enough niceness) and you shall receive. (Kindness is key to success)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
To begin, I highly suggest maxing out your Storm. It will provide very useful for jewel and gold farming and you won't need it for anything else since it's universally the worst PvP school at all levels.

I don't recommend doing level 60 PvP at the moment. Talos is ridiculously hard to deal with since you can't Gargantuan and multiply a multi-target spell to take care of him. Also, Cosmic Kris and Stellar Signet make it extremely difficult to win if you want to chip away at somebody's health (again because we can't multiply cards) so I suggest avoiding Legendary PvP altogether. The same rules apply for levels 70-80, and partially at level 50 once you reach a high enough rank to queue Legendary wizards.

Doing PvP at levels 90-117 is extremely risky since you'll be paired up with max level players who have their 4 pip Shadow Enhanced Spell. If you're a master at yoga and can easily vent your anger when you lose a match completely due to luck, then go for max level Ice. Warning: It's very unstable at the moment.

Grandmaster suffers at the moment because you're very limited on damage enchant options and is held back by many of the same things Legendary PvP is held back by minus the heal boost. The only difference is since Grandmasters generally have low health and it's difficult to constantly take out minions, you can blade stack, summon a minion to remove shields, and go for a high level TC OHKO. It seems like the only way to play right now and it's very dull compared to what it used to be in November. Grandmaster currently favors the player going first a lot.

Master and below is heavily reliant on treasure cards and is dominated by Ice, Myth and Fire. If neither of these three are schools you fit well with, then avoid Magus. If they are, however, then Magus is the best level to invest time in.

I know a lot of what I've said is negative, but PvP is in a poor state at just about every level. Many of those videos you've watched are most likely PvP from years past.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2009
DarkAce88 on Jan 16, 2017 wrote:
Hi, just wanted to drop by and say, don't do lvl 60 pvp because even when you are a private you will always face low lvl warlords like, i think 30-50 and boy do they like to try to win xD. Do lvl 60 pvp at your own risk but just warning you may not enjoy it. I could help you with all your classes but it depends how in-depth information your looking for, i can do detailed or lightly sprinkled with tips like a delicious crispy creme donut with sprinkles(man its been forever since i had a donut).

But besides that all you have to do is ask(with enough niceness) and you shall receive. (Kindness is key to success)
Hi, thank you so much for replying! I've been working hard to get my wizards up to 100, currently my Life and my Ice are level 75. I've tried doing some pvp on my Life, but soon discovered that Legendary pvp is dominated by Skeletal Dragon and Loremaster spammers. I think I'd like to pvp with my Life, Ice, and Fire wizards once they reach the appropriate level. Oh, and since I haven't exactly made it clear yet, I was thinking of doing 1v1 pvp, I don't really have anyone to group with, no one in my town plays wiz anymore lol.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Isabella Moonbrigh... on Jan 15, 2017 wrote:
  • Level 83 Fire
  • Level 70 Ice
  • Level 63 Life
  • Level 52 Death
  • Level 47 Myth
  • Level 45 Storm

Don't bother ahaha, PVP sucks right now. In all seriousness, Duelist101 is a great site to look at if you don't care about the broken meta currently.

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Exabytes on Jan 18, 2017 wrote:
Don't bother ahaha, PVP sucks right now. In all seriousness, Duelist101 is a great site to look at if you don't care about the broken meta currently.
Hey don't be rude, we experienced players exist on the forums to teach and give knowledge to the newer players. Not say don't bother with something because it has issues. And duelist101 is okish, but its outdated so if your going to recommend it to people at least mention that cause all those posts on strategies are old and were based on that meta or before even major critical/block updates have even happened.

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Isabella Moonbrigh... on Jan 17, 2017 wrote:
Hi, thank you so much for replying! I've been working hard to get my wizards up to 100, currently my Life and my Ice are level 75. I've tried doing some pvp on my Life, but soon discovered that Legendary pvp is dominated by Skeletal Dragon and Loremaster spammers. I think I'd like to pvp with my Life, Ice, and Fire wizards once they reach the appropriate level. Oh, and since I haven't exactly made it clear yet, I was thinking of doing 1v1 pvp, I don't really have anyone to group with, no one in my town plays wiz anymore lol.
Hey and no problem, i love helping people and making them feel good :) lol. Currently since pvp is sort of screwy all lvls are good for pvp, whats most important is how you feel about where you pvp. Don't bother listen to pvp that yell in the forums "pvp is ruined, abandon ship, pigs are flying! ah!" xD. Don't fall for that, your pvp experience is your personal experience so don't be egged on by people that aren't enjoying themselves.

Your first pvp times will be very memorable because they will be the reason why you come back to pvp or don't, so go out there and enjoy yourself, but most importantly. Remember to have fun! .

After all whats more important, Winning with little meaning to it or enjoying a battle getting some wins or defeats but all while enjoying yourself.

Oh and so sorry for the late responses, been busy with college trying to get a 3.0, instead of my low 2.193 GPA. Which is passing for getting my bachelors in computer science but i know i can do much better.(freshmen in college, took 8 classes, regretting it? Not sure lol). Trying to get a 2.5 so i can join army rotc (i knew i should of dropped College Writing xD, i'm too artistic with my personal writing for that)

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
DarkAce88 on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
Hey don't be rude, we experienced players exist on the forums to teach and give knowledge to the newer players. Not say don't bother with something because it has issues. And duelist101 is okish, but its outdated so if your going to recommend it to people at least mention that cause all those posts on strategies are old and were based on that meta or before even major critical/block updates have even happened.
I'm not being rude, hold your horses! Speaking from experience, if I knew what PVP was going to be like after questing through the 120+ levels and grinding through Darkmoor / Rasputin etc, I wouldn't have bothered with Wizard101 as much as I have already. Plain and simple.
I am only speaking as someone that has put the time and effort into being semi-decent at PVP and I am only giving advice that it just isn't worth the time currently. If you want to call that rude that is your prerogative, but I would rather to be forewarned about the current poor meta than find out after spending 200+ hours of time journeying through the game.

And yes Duelist is a bit outdated right now, however it is still the best site currently that I know of, especially for newcomers to PVP. Feel free to add a superior suggestion rather than critiquing mine. Thanks

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Exabytes on Jan 20, 2017 wrote:
I'm not being rude, hold your horses! Speaking from experience, if I knew what PVP was going to be like after questing through the 120+ levels and grinding through Darkmoor / Rasputin etc, I wouldn't have bothered with Wizard101 as much as I have already. Plain and simple.
I am only speaking as someone that has put the time and effort into being semi-decent at PVP and I am only giving advice that it just isn't worth the time currently. If you want to call that rude that is your prerogative, but I would rather to be forewarned about the current poor meta than find out after spending 200+ hours of time journeying through the game.

And yes Duelist is a bit outdated right now, however it is still the best site currently that I know of, especially for newcomers to PVP. Feel free to add a superior suggestion rather than critiquing mine. Thanks
Well said , but if we didn't have critiquing then there would never be improvement, without it people wouldn't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "there" and "their".

By the way, it was nothing against you, just negative Nacies can ruin a experience before it even started. Like how would you feel if you were about to go on your first roller coaster and someone said to you "i wouldn't do that man, you have a high chance someone may barf on you" then you would think "man i don't want to get barfed on, maybe i should just not ride roller coasters"

^^ That is what i basically saw when you said pvp isn't the best time to do, nothing against you just a precaution .

Survivor
Oct 18, 2015
I'll go and say that legendary is actually pretty good level to pvp.

Low levels - plagued with high tc's;
Mid levels - plagued with lore spammers (i'll touch healing boost and talos later);
High levels - plagued with shadow spells and shadow pip rng.
Basicly - pick your poison. You'll have hard time regardless of what level you choose to pvp. Don't take me wrong, i (we) don't want to discourage you from doing pvp - we just want to prepare you on harsh reality.

There is one thing that i'd suggest you regardles of level you choose. Get a proper gear, pet and deck set up before you start doing ranked. As mentioned, being a private you'll face low level warlords - they have more experience than you - don't make their life easier by going in match with poor gear choice.
Judging from your levels, you can either do grand/legend or max (i'll refer to 100+ as max; i'm not doing any high level pvp and don't know if there is too big difference between 100 and 120). So getting back to picking your poison - do you want to grind darkmoor or waterworks?
Pet is another important thing - it's really good that you're aware of that. Since you're new, try to get double resist and school dealer for starter. You can proceed from this one.

Ok, so here are your school and what are best pvp options for them

Level 83 Fire: max (nothing excting between levels 80-100)
Level 70 Ice: max (nothing excting between levels 80-100)
Level 63 Life: either max (not sure how life do at max level) or stay at legendary and go healing route
Level 52 Death: legendary (best level for death school pvp)
Level 47 Myth: legendary (give you more flexibility regarding how you want to play than grand)
Level 45 Storm: legendary (still weak pvp school, but can be really deadly at this level with proper gear set up)

When you're deciding wheter you want grandmaster, keep in mind one thing. Do you want to play defensive (grand) or offensive (legend). And the gear of course - legend has it all dropped ;)

Survivor
Oct 18, 2015
Now to continue, why is legendary best option in my opinion.

1) Easiest way to get gear. Waterworks hat and robe are generally best option with ww boots being good alternative until you reach warlord. Ring, athame (and wand until you get warlord one or one from pack) can be purchased with arena tickets, which really shouldn't be that big of problem now. If you're not running the mastery amulet, you can get one with 2% damage boost and blade card. And you get access to pierce jewels, something that grands don't. Exactly the same thing apply for max, just that gear is harder to obtain and best wands generally come from packs.

2) There is lot of randomness involved in pvp, however at legendary you have the most control regarding the damage you take from opponent. As mentioned, low levels are swarmed with high level tc's and can ohko in few rounds while at max you're heavily reliant on shadow pips. Now, ohko are still possible here, it's just that legendary has the most tools (and health/damage ratio) to deal with it.

3) Talos and healing boosts aren't that bad. I admit, insane healing boosts are big pain, but they're not that common. With tourneys being easily accesible, more and more people go with duelist ring and athame + more or less they're common at people with higher ranks.
As for Talos, he's really strong minion, but your schools shouldn't have any problem with it unless you'll go with life one. Storm has really high damage and i believe (not sure about that) it boosts on him. I'm pretty sure that bats can kill it. Going myth - well you got talos on your own. As for death; death boosts on talos, so vampire can kill him and give you nice chunk of health back.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2009
I'm not sure how to edit the original post, so I'm just going to leave this edit as a reply.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I honestly didn't know what to expect when I made the request two weeks ago. As an update, both my Life and Ice are level 105, and currently leveling in Polaris. Gear wise, really the only major updates are that I have the Alpha and Omega rings on both of my Exalted wizards, and I was lucky enough to get the Gem of Grand Prophecy (Ice Morganthe Amulet) on my first and only run of Morganthe. Lastly I was impatient and got the level 100 Eye of the Soothsayer (I needed the block on my Life!). I still have absolutely terrible pets, but I'll worry about that when it comes to it. I'll probably just farm Mirror Lake for pet snacks.

After reading all of the replies, I'm definitely going to do 120 Life and Ice pvp. I'll probably also go for 120 Fire after watching many Dakota EarthHorn videos. Fire looks completely broken at 120 (I'm sorry, I can't help but be a meta slave at this point). I've still yet to do Darkmoor, so I don't even have my Level 100 spells. As for the rest of my Wizards, I started a Balance wizard who I'll level up to 60, probably 62, and do Legendary PvP. I'll probably do the same for my Death. I'm not sure about Myth, I'm going to train it until it gets Talos, then I'll get it the gear. My storm? Since Storm is so weak in PvP, it's going to be PvE until storm gets better, I'm going to level it to 120 eventually.

I want to play the game most of all, I don't just want lots of PvP builds. I love Wiz, so I'm going to play it until I literally can't hear Merle's voice again.