Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do Accounts' Ages Change With The Owner's?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
For example: if i created my account in 2009 when i was 11, will the accounts "age" increase with mine? Will the account register as 18 years old in 2017? If so, then when? The date i created the account or the first of the year? Will 18+ chat become available then?

Do accounts' ages change with the owner's?

Thank you for all that help me answer this question

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
If you put in your correct birth date, the account will turn 18 when you do. In order to unlock open chat you will have to make a credit card purchase on the account at that point, not sure why since you do not need to be 18 to have a credit card, but that is just how it is set up.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but, unfortunately, no. The account does not "age" with you if you registered and set your birthdate as below 13 years old at the time of account creation. It's in accordance to the COPPA laws that prevent companies from storing your birthdate if you are under 13 years of age.

I have had this problem on my account as well and, despite asking customer support for help, there is nothing that can be done about this. Since the account didn't "store" the date you put in, it's as if there was never a "starting date" for an account to age with you in the first place. Therefore, you are not eligible for open chat once you turn 18 even if you have a valid credit card and membership.

Even though I had bad luck with my account, I would definitely contact customer support about your specific issue. You may have entered some information that I did not and may be eligible for open chat. I wish you luck and I hope that you get open!

CH

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Dec 30, 2016 wrote:
If you put in your correct birth date, the account will turn 18 when you do. In order to unlock open chat you will have to make a credit card purchase on the account at that point, not sure why since you do not need to be 18 to have a credit card, but that is just how it is set up.
Unfortunately, you do have to be at least 18 with at least a part time job or a co-signer to apply for a credit card. The person applying has to prove they can make at least the minimum monthly payment or the application will be denied. The "Card Act" of 2009 put strict limitations on companies issuing credit cards to minors.

On Topic:
As @The Firehawk has stated, your account does not age with you. KI does not track birth dates. You can contact support and see if they will work with you but I am not away of any who have succeeded in unlocking chat once they reach 18.

Explorer
Oct 01, 2011
DragonLady1818 on Dec 31, 2016 wrote:
Unfortunately, you do have to be at least 18 with at least a part time job or a co-signer to apply for a credit card. The person applying has to prove they can make at least the minimum monthly payment or the application will be denied. The "Card Act" of 2009 put strict limitations on companies issuing credit cards to minors.

On Topic:
As @The Firehawk has stated, your account does not age with you. KI does not track birth dates. You can contact support and see if they will work with you but I am not away of any who have succeeded in unlocking chat once they reach 18.
Dunno about other countries but where I am from you can get Visa Debit cards at 13 which allow you to make purchases online like a credit card but using money from your account only, an online EFTPOS card basically

Survivor
Nov 21, 2012
Yes your accounts' age will increase in time. If you check your account under "My accounts," the account created date is considered your wizard's birthday. For example if you created your account in May but your 18th birthday was in March, you can't have open chat until May. I know this because this is how I got open chat =) Don't forget that you need to purchase something using a credit card as well.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Just to add,

Support can by contacted via email:

support@wizard101.com

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
waterangel501 on Jan 13, 2017 wrote:
Yes your accounts' age will increase in time. If you check your account under "My accounts," the account created date is considered your wizard's birthday. For example if you created your account in May but your 18th birthday was in March, you can't have open chat until May. I know this because this is how I got open chat =) Don't forget that you need to purchase something using a credit card as well.
1. KI DOES NOT track BIRTH DATES when an account is created. This has nothing to do with wizard's birthday. Please go back and read OP's post. OP is not talking about the age of the wizard but the age of the player. That is 2 different things.

2. If OP had been 18 in March and created the account in May, OP would have had access to Open chat at the time the account was create.