Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Make Wizard City completely free

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Don't you think playing only till Triton Avenue is not enough experience for new players? Before paying for the game you need to know a little of whats ahead of you. Like 2 monsters joining in one battle. So I say make Wizard City free to play. Krokotopia on wards make it paid. I suggested a friend of mine to play Wizard101. She went ahead & gave it a try and enjoyed it. After she finished Triton Avenue she expected to move forward in the game, she then came and told me, is that it? Do any of you guys agree? I do hope they change this and make Wizard City completely free. New players need to experience more.

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
I agree that wizard city needs to be completely free because if you start a world, you may as well finish it, otherwise theres no point. Its pretty weird and annoying to only finish half of the world. I remember when I was just started in the game, I was stuck on level 10 for months until my parents finally agreed to get me a membership. I would want to make all of wizard city free for new players, because if they are not allowed to go forward and play, they will think the game is just dumb.

Heather StarSong lvl 69

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Mirajane7887 on Dec 27, 2016 wrote:
Don't you think playing only till Triton Avenue is not enough experience for new players? Before paying for the game you need to know a little of whats ahead of you. Like 2 monsters joining in one battle. So I say make Wizard City free to play. Krokotopia on wards make it paid. I suggested a friend of mine to play Wizard101. She went ahead & gave it a try and enjoyed it. After she finished Triton Avenue she expected to move forward in the game, she then came and told me, is that it? Do any of you guys agree? I do hope they change this and make Wizard City completely free. New players need to experience more.
I'm not sure about entire Wizard City but I would definitely advocate for at least Cyclops Lane and Firecat Alley to be free or at least offered of some form of bonus.

They do require more experience especially if many are unable to access areas to complete their level 12 quests such as Myth.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i agree, i done the math doing every possible quest without the use of gauntlets or outside sources.... you'll get to lvl 9 and struggle a bit for lvl 10 with farming because the quests stop, you still have quests from zeke, book pedestal, penny, cyclops, firecat, sitting in you questbook mocking you, and the only spells you have is 3 pip hits, 2 shield, prism, school sheild, and what ever was given between lvl 1-10, if ya made it to lvl 12, ya get a new spell, ya probably can't finish due to it being in firecat and cyclops, a bunch of daily assignments can't be finished because it's outside your border....

now with everywhere in wizard city, i done this... i gotten to lvl 18, pushing 19 and still never enter krok, or used any gauntlets.... that opens a load more options, you're running with lvl 15 gear, able to get a house, garden, fish, daily assignmentts, tournaments, have your minion spell, pushing 4 pip hits.....

add the 5 gauntlets, you'll hit lvl 23/24.... even more of viability, because lvl 25 is next gear level, you get grizzleheim, wysteria, you're pushing lvl 24 in wizard city, so kroktopia is a breeze....

being lvl 18-24 compared to being lvl 10.... would be a major way to get people to stay

Cameron Icemancer 103
Cameron Lightmancer 41
Cameron Firemancer 12
Calamity Moon 22
Destiny Song 19 (2nd s\account)

Explorer
Sep 25, 2012
I agree completely, though I long ago bought Cyclops Lane, Firecat Alley, and even the Pyramid of the Sun. I hope that if this ever comes to fruition, I can have back the crowns I spent. A few new packs would be nice ;)

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
supersaiyanunlimit... on Dec 27, 2016 wrote:
I agree completely, though I long ago bought Cyclops Lane, Firecat Alley, and even the Pyramid of the Sun. I hope that if this ever comes to fruition, I can have back the crowns I spent. A few new packs would be nice ;)
Lol,

Wishful thinking here..

Survivor
Jul 31, 2010
With the number of existing players, the level cap, and the number of worlds, I think it could be a possibility. If they hook more players by taking a small hit early on they could make more money while making the game even more user friendly.

I forward this suggestion.

Also, I don't need my crowns back, I just want to spend some time with friends and family.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Although it is frustrating the game has to make a profit to keep going and adding new worlds. It's not meant to be a completely free game. Even making Wizard City completely free would change the game and drive away some players.

Why? Because take a look at the thread about people trolling the free areas of the game. Some people misuse the fact it's free to make troll wizards or bullying wizards.

Paid players still have to go to Wizard City for the shopping places and stitching and some other things. They still have some daily quests there.

If they did make all of Wizard City free, then I would want them to make versions of Wizard City (realms) that only paid members could access. Actually I might like that ability regardless.

Survivor
Nov 10, 2013
i dont think that wizard city should be all free nor do i think you can only go up to Trition Avenue down below i will 3 options that yall think should be update just type # and what ever number that it was now lets begin

1st the harvest lord should have a 5% chance of dropping the novice pass which would allow you to go place that would cost crowns but instead if it costed 1500 crowns or less it would allow you to pass but this pass would have a 4 hour timer but can be activated at any time that the play decides and would stop when the play logs off and same thing with the Adept Pass but time doubles and allows you to have access to areas that are under 3000 crowns worth and would have a 2.5% chance of being dropped by general akilles

2nd in the first 3 day of creating an account you would have unlimited access to any area

3 raise the earning crowns to 50
and so thats it

Adam

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
gstack96 on Dec 28, 2016 wrote:
i dont think that wizard city should be all free nor do i think you can only go up to Trition Avenue down below i will 3 options that yall think should be update just type # and what ever number that it was now lets begin

1st the harvest lord should have a 5% chance of dropping the novice pass which would allow you to go place that would cost crowns but instead if it costed 1500 crowns or less it would allow you to pass but this pass would have a 4 hour timer but can be activated at any time that the play decides and would stop when the play logs off and same thing with the Adept Pass but time doubles and allows you to have access to areas that are under 3000 crowns worth and would have a 2.5% chance of being dropped by general akilles

2nd in the first 3 day of creating an account you would have unlimited access to any area

3 raise the earning crowns to 50
and so thats it

Adam
The first idea would just be incredibly broken, especially at that drop rate. Maybe 0.1% of it dropping. But players could keep going back and farming to complete the game free.

Your second idea intrigues me the most, I'm definitely in support of this. Granted, speedrunners can probably finish the game in that time, but lots of players would still be in Krokotopia. I think a reworking of this idea could be a 'Trial Membership', where an account can activate a 1 hour or 1 day membership on their account for free.

I think the third idea is a bit OP, because that means 15 videos, or a day and a half of trivia, can get you a zone in Wizard City. It also means the most expensive areas of the game could be bought within half a week. KI would just lose money. Perhaps if it was raised to 20 or 25, or if there was some kind of 'Double Trivia Rewards' event at some point. Maybe in the 12 Days of the Spiral, or in another seasonal event.

All that being said, I still think all of Wizard City, at least the storyline, should be free.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2012
camahawk on Dec 27, 2016 wrote:
i agree, i done the math doing every possible quest without the use of gauntlets or outside sources.... you'll get to lvl 9 and struggle a bit for lvl 10 with farming because the quests stop, you still have quests from zeke, book pedestal, penny, cyclops, firecat, sitting in you questbook mocking you, and the only spells you have is 3 pip hits, 2 shield, prism, school sheild, and what ever was given between lvl 1-10, if ya made it to lvl 12, ya get a new spell, ya probably can't finish due to it being in firecat and cyclops, a bunch of daily assignments can't be finished because it's outside your border....

now with everywhere in wizard city, i done this... i gotten to lvl 18, pushing 19 and still never enter krok, or used any gauntlets.... that opens a load more options, you're running with lvl 15 gear, able to get a house, garden, fish, daily assignmentts, tournaments, have your minion spell, pushing 4 pip hits.....

add the 5 gauntlets, you'll hit lvl 23/24.... even more of viability, because lvl 25 is next gear level, you get grizzleheim, wysteria, you're pushing lvl 24 in wizard city, so kroktopia is a breeze....

being lvl 18-24 compared to being lvl 10.... would be a major way to get people to stay

Cameron Icemancer 103
Cameron Lightmancer 41
Cameron Firemancer 12
Calamity Moon 22
Destiny Song 19 (2nd s\account)
I agree, when you are level 9 it is really hard to get a higher level, I am glad my parents got me membership for Christmas so I could get as much done as possible!

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
I would at least make one more zone free. As it stands its not quite enough to get someone interested, imho. When I tried the game out shortly after its release I didn't continue on as I didn't think it was worth it. It wasn't until a few years later when my sister talked me into play with her that I actually got into the game.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
An interesting note would be that on my free to play account, I mustered the Crowns to buy Cyclops Lane (so much trivia), and my highest-level wizard on there is level 14 having completed everything the free game+Cyclops Lane+Dark Cave have to offer. So in allowing just those 2 areas to be free, the player can experience another spell quest, and gardening, but not level 15 gear or castles. So players get a better taste for what there is, while knowing there's still more.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I'm kinda on the fence for this one. As nice as it would be for all players to at least finish Wizard City, I see many flaws with this. I can't list any ups or downs to this one that haven't already been listed, such as a larger area for people to troll and new areas for non-paid users to venture into at long last.

In short, I'd prefer for Wizard City to stay mostly as it is, but I wouldn't exactly start a protest if something like this were to happen.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
this topic, truth be told, is like Nintendo and their 3DS, you can have all the fun playing our device, but ya want our charger, to play fully, gonna pay for it..... Wizardcity should be the full Device and charger, you get the entire experience, and Kroktopia+ are the games, the DLC, you only buy the console to play the games, if you could play the games without the console, you wouldnt get it... hopefully that made sense, it's 6am no sleep.....so making WizardCity completely free, i can see, Darkmoor, Crab Alley, Briskbreeze, Waterworks, and Sunken City being paid since they arent crucial, could say Colossus Boulevard too, but eh.... but actually being able to finally being complete will lead to so much more satisfactory than being 80% done, and being able to have even Firecat, and Cyclops, would actually make players want to invest more into actually playing the game, could even throw in a pop up saying you have passed all that wizard city has brought, Upgrade membership, or Purchase crowns to explore the vast world of Kroktopia and beyond.... and again, being lvl 18, is better than being lvl 9 struggling for lvl 10 because your quests stopped

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
This topic goes around every so often, and as you can see, people are for, and against it. Personally, I would love to see the basic WC be free. What we should get is everything needed to do the main story quests and areas only. We should never get any side quests at all; it just shouldnt be an option. They should be turned off completely. You wouldnt even be called to the NPCs, nor would they have the ! above their heads. Only quests with the ? would be given. Anything side quest related should only come when you buy the game (crown or subscription). So, you wouldn't get Darkmoor, Colossus Boulevard, Crab Alley, Pet Pavilion, Sunken City, etc. You wouldnt have access to spells that weren't rewards for finishing locations. For example, you get Fireblade for finishing Unicorn way. That you'd get, but not spells like Fire Prism or Link spells since they're side quest spells. You could still get spells from vendors you have access to, as long as you meet the normal requirements. This way, there is a shortened version of WC, and an expanded version. You get the "whole world" but not all of the content in the world. There's still more to do, which expands on what you've already done. You get access to more spells, quests, vendors, etc. As a matter of fact, I would be fine with limiting how many wizards they could use too. So, if you were a F2P user, you could only do 3 wizards per account, and when you buy the game somehow, you get all 6. All of this said, if I misspoke about free areas, thinking one was side vs story, forgive me. Also, I dont know how well this would work from a cost perspective.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
dayerider on Jan 2, 2017 wrote:
This topic goes around every so often, and as you can see, people are for, and against it. Personally, I would love to see the basic WC be free. What we should get is everything needed to do the main story quests and areas only. We should never get any side quests at all; it just shouldnt be an option. They should be turned off completely. You wouldnt even be called to the NPCs, nor would they have the ! above their heads. Only quests with the ? would be given. Anything side quest related should only come when you buy the game (crown or subscription). So, you wouldn't get Darkmoor, Colossus Boulevard, Crab Alley, Pet Pavilion, Sunken City, etc. You wouldnt have access to spells that weren't rewards for finishing locations. For example, you get Fireblade for finishing Unicorn way. That you'd get, but not spells like Fire Prism or Link spells since they're side quest spells. You could still get spells from vendors you have access to, as long as you meet the normal requirements. This way, there is a shortened version of WC, and an expanded version. You get the "whole world" but not all of the content in the world. There's still more to do, which expands on what you've already done. You get access to more spells, quests, vendors, etc. As a matter of fact, I would be fine with limiting how many wizards they could use too. So, if you were a F2P user, you could only do 3 wizards per account, and when you buy the game somehow, you get all 6. All of this said, if I misspoke about free areas, thinking one was side vs story, forgive me. Also, I dont know how well this would work from a cost perspective.
colossus, sunken city, aquila, crab are the only side areas, Cyclops, firecat, Dark, are the worlds needed to complete wizard city.. because that opens nightside... you could add colossus only because of the book pedestal and smith needed...

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
camahawk on Jan 3, 2017 wrote:
colossus, sunken city, aquila, crab are the only side areas, Cyclops, firecat, Dark, are the worlds needed to complete wizard city.. because that opens nightside... you could add colossus only because of the book pedestal and smith needed...
or remove/relocate the smith. Im sure you get my point about having only the required quests be F2P though

Survivor
Jun 19, 2015
Maybe not areas like colossus blvd or crab alley because they are side quest areas. But grubb and the 3 streets should be. Once they get the quest to go to krok they will be like Yay! and it will say membership and they will be like, yea! I get to go to a new world.