Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mirage difficulty complaints

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
Okay before this starts I just want to say I am NOT trying to be rude, I just don't understand why so many people are complaining about mirage. I mean people complained about Polaris being to easy and wanted a harder challenge and they got what they asked for, but now it's to hard. What do you think the next world will be like? If they make the next world not as hard people with just complain about how easy it is. Also it's not like you have to quest by yourself in fact it gives you an opportunity to make new friends when you join a battle or when you join a team up. I mean i do agree with the critical and critical block and the gear thing but just not with mobs and bosses. I think that the difficulty is actually really perfect for our level. I think the challenges are really fun, yes you'll die a few times but it's suppose to be a challenge. I do hope this post didn't make anyone upset and much love from:

Morgan Darkrider 120

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
morgandarkrider1 on Dec 18, 2016 wrote:
Okay before this starts I just want to say I am NOT trying to be rude, I just don't understand why so many people are complaining about mirage. I mean people complained about Polaris being to easy and wanted a harder challenge and they got what they asked for, but now it's to hard. What do you think the next world will be like? If they make the next world not as hard people with just complain about how easy it is. Also it's not like you have to quest by yourself in fact it gives you an opportunity to make new friends when you join a battle or when you join a team up. I mean i do agree with the critical and critical block and the gear thing but just not with mobs and bosses. I think that the difficulty is actually really perfect for our level. I think the challenges are really fun, yes you'll die a few times but it's suppose to be a challenge. I do hope this post didn't make anyone upset and much love from:

Morgan Darkrider 120
Everybody will have their different opinions about this.

Some will agree with you, some will not.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011

Morgan Darkrider 120
I agree with you for the part with the people who find Mirage difficult having a way to make it not as difficult. The problem is, they don't know how to make it easier and they won't find a way to make it easier. Also, I think when Polaris came out, the people complaining about it being easy were the people who think Mirage isn't difficult and the people complaining about Mirage being difficult are the people who found Polaris at the right level for them.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009

Morgan Darkrider 120
I think the reason people are complaining about Mirage is that, as evidenced by how many posts there are saying its too hard, it seems that not EVERYONE thought Polaris was too easy, just certain players who happen to be very vocal. Those who thought Polaris was just fine didn't complain because they were happy. Now they are not so they are letting their voices be heard loud and clear.

Right now it might be fairly easy to join a team up if you have DM, Rat, or ultra dungeon gear, if not, then not so much. Also, once the initial speedy wave of players flies thru Mirage, like the other worlds before it, will become a ghost town. There is no team up for mobs, and unless the bosses are good for farming, no one will want to team up for them either. As it stands now, from what I have seen, no boss is worth farming at this point.

I consider myself a casual, but SKILLED player. I am almost to the end of Mirage, and am only playing with one other person. So far I may have died all of 2 times (being life, monsters seem to hate me lol). I do not have any DM gear, but I do have some Rat and Morganthe stuff. There may be some people who debate whether I am to be considered casual. I say I am because I won't farm. If something falls in my lap while helping someone else great, otherwise I do without.

I firmly believe story quests should be a challenge, but not take a really skilled player to do them if they don't have a full team of 4. I think there should be optional, NEVER nerfed, really challenging side dungeons. At the same time there should be decent crafted gear for the non farmers and less skilled casuals.

I recently helped a level 101 wizard thru Morganthe. Her gear left a lot to be desired. I had to heal her like mad. She had been waiting over 6 months to do that dungeon. Team up failed her. That is sad, but that's what its like for a true casual. People can say "git gud", but in a family game, geared to all types of people, not everyone can.

Explorer
Aug 09, 2014
I completely agree. It's a fun challenge. On my life I did most of it solo except for the harder bosses and was more than able. People need to stop complaining. It's not too bad especially with a team.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The people complaining Mirage is too hard are most likely NOT the same people who complained that Polaris was too easy.

Everyone who is claiming Mirage is fine/not too hard seem to have at least a few of these things in common:

1) They quest in groups
2) They've farmed for the best available gear
3) They have specially bred pets
4) They've invested time researching battles before beginning hard bosses
5) They're older players (age 14 to adult, so capable of planning ahead, & have more patience)
6) They can use Crowns for henchmen in a pinch

The people complaining that Mirage is too difficult seem to have a few things in common:

1) They solo or play sporadically, therefore they can't rely on groups (or they prefer soloing!)
2) They have sub-par gear, due to not being able to farm for the 'best'
3) They have regular dropped pets instead of specially bred pets
4) They don't have time for research, or can't use the suggested tips because of soloing
5) They're younger players (some are as young as 6-8 years old!)
6) They don't have access to Crowns for henchmen if a battle is not going well.

As you see, there are two very different groups of people trying to play the same game. If you try to see the game from both points of view, you will understand why it's impossible for KI to please everybody. But in order to retain players (and $$$!), KI has to do their best to make sure most players can get through Mirage. If too many players are getting stalled, then KI has to adjust the difficulty.

Hope that helps,

Alia Misthaven
(For the record, I'm still stuck in Polaris - the Rat has me trapped. I don't know whether I'd consider Mirage "too hard" or not, since I can't even get in to try!)

Defender
May 02, 2015

Morgan Darkrider 120
Problems with mirage:

1) The beginning dragged on, and the end was rushed. I mean, one fight and just boom you're down to the sands of time? There was no struggle to get down there. Also, the Djinni palace? You'd think there would be at least one more sigil. Future solution: maybe start with designing the end and work backwards. The end was obviously rushed while the beginning really took it's time.

2) Stuns and Loremaster everywhere. Everywhere. It's pretty cumbersome and just adds to the dragging on. This is feels like pvp. Pve players don't like this feeling.

3) Jewels: the drop rate increased a ton, but 90% of the drops are bad. 80% if you consider critical jewels good. And no piercing jewels drop. Also, no outgoing, no incoming, not generic block.

These are just facts about the new expansion. Things KI missed/did wrong in this update. People are complaining because they are worth complaining over. It's feedback hoping that they get it a little more right next expansion. Polaris was too cold. Mirage was too hot. Hopefully the next world will be just right. Perfect metaphor.

P.S. How do you understand the complaining about critical and block? Do you mean the complaining of the lack of updated gear for these mechanics? Because that would make more sense than just the ratings going down with the level. Because that just happens. It's a mechanic of the game. It used to be 5% every ten levels, but then they changed it.

Maybe that's where the complaining is coming from. Maybe they made that update after polaris, so this might be the first time leveling up reduced those ratings twice as much.

Maybe I answered my own question.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Freshta on Dec 18, 2016 wrote:
The people complaining Mirage is too hard are most likely NOT the same people who complained that Polaris was too easy.

Everyone who is claiming Mirage is fine/not too hard seem to have at least a few of these things in common:

1) They quest in groups
5) They're older players (age 14 to adult, so capable of planning ahead, & have more patience)

The people complaining that Mirage is too difficult seem to have a few things in common:

1) They solo or play sporadically, therefore they can't rely on groups (or they prefer soloing!)
4) They don't have time for research, or can't use the suggested tips because of soloing

As you see, there are two very different groups of people trying to play the same game. If you try to see the game from both points of view, you will understand why it's impossible for KI to please everybody. But in order to retain players (and $$$!), KI has to do their best to make sure most players can get through Mirage. If too many players are getting stalled, then KI has to adjust the difficulty.

Hope that helps,

Alia Misthaven
(For the record, I'm still stuck in Polaris - the Rat has me trapped. I don't know whether I'd consider Mirage "too hard" or not, since I can't even get in to try!)
I share this impression, although I expect younger players are not among those complaining. 6-8 year old children may be having difficulty, but I don't see posts here written at a 6-8 year old level of literacy.

Alia, The Rat is farmed by many players. Just join from the Kiosk when there are no other casters in a group. Blade up the hitter and you'll get through it nice and fast.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010

Morgan Darkrider 120
Thank you!!! I agree 100% with this. The difficulty was perfect and so was the world.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

1) They quest in groups

Hope that helps,

Alia Misthaven
Perfectly stated.

Those who are advocating for harder content need to play without the best gear or pets and see what others are going through.

I have seen a few even post they are running Mirage in a matter of hours. Yet they come to the boards and talk down to those who don't have the best in the game and claiming we are wanting a walk in the park. They tell other players they need to farm for the best and hatch and train for the best pets. Not everyone has the time or inclination to do either as it becomes intensely tedious.

Many of us have farmed and trained pets to assist us in the game. How many trained pets to have at least one heal and as much resist and damage as was possible. Heals got nerfed to the point that most pets barely cast a heal if at all.

After running 2 of my wizards through WW several times without even a single piece of WW gear, I will not farm WW again. I will run my remaining wizards through to get this off their logs but not farming. I usually run all available sides including dungeons but I won't waste a lot of time farming any of them. I don't have that kind of time available to me and many others don't either.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2011
Those who talk down to others, are not the people you want to take a chance on battling with. Many are the ones who will leave, when they see who is in the group, or get angry, and leave before the battle is over. I have never gotten my highest wizard through DM graveyard. Getting 4 people, by chance, who want to make it through, no matter what it takes, are very limited.

I keep trying to figure out the percentages of those who what it as hard as possible, and those who want it hard but not mind numbing! I am sure KI go with the biggest percentage.

There are many who do not find it fun or relaxing, in Mirage. I know nothing about programing. If there could be a choice, with your membership: expert, determined, trying hard, and casual.

As others have said, this is suppose to be a family game. Don't see that possible, with worlds like Mirage. I believe this is the world that will bring my membership to an end.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

1) They quest in groups

Hope that helps,

Alia Misthaven
this is pretty spot-on.

i am a university student, and i work on top of a full course load. the only time i can play is during school breaks (also the only time that the 4-hour time difference between me and my friends is a non-issue). but i go back to school in january and won't be able to play again until april-may... by which point everyone will have completed mirage and i will have to solo it.

i have one wizard in full darkmoor gear; it took me almost a year to get (i wasn't in school then), and the only reason i bothered was to see how it would stack up vs. my other wizards in their ww/kh crafted combos. my pets aren't perfect, but they're all right~ thankfully, i have a friend with a bunch of perfect 250 pets who's always been willing to hatch with me.

i can't and won't ignore my many research papers, in order to farm for the best... never mind that i have enough studying to do, without adding a gazillion boss cheats to that list.

we aren't asking for a walk in the park; we are asking that the game be fun and enjoyable for all, and i really don't think we're asking that much.

-von

Delver
May 12, 2012
I'm basically going to say what everyone is saying above:

Hardcore Players
- they have hours of time (probably)
- they thought Polaris was easy, which means they also didn't enjoy it as much
- they thought Mirage was right level (I am not sure if any thought it was easy), which means they enjoyed it a lot, and prefer future worlds like Mirage

Casual Players (I am one of them)
- they do not have much time to play (I have about a hour or 30 minutes to play 5 days of the week, the other 2 I simply can't play) (some have time, though)
- they thought Polaris was right level, which means they enjoyed it a lot, and prefer future worlds like Polaris
- they thought Mirage was too hard, which means it wasn't as enjoyable

You have your types of players. Hardcores & casuals clash in opinions, one saying too hard, one saying right level or too easy. It will always be that competitiveness between them. What KI is seeing in the process of their new updates and different formats of the worlds, is that everything they change, keep, update, etc, will effect one side in a better, more positive way and the other in a worse, more negative way. There has already been a bunch of clash on this thread, and as a casual player, you probably already know my opinions. So, I'm going to leave it there. Will be coming back to this, though.

~ Allison Dragongem

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
Mythali126 on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
I'm basically going to say what everyone is saying above:

Hardcore Players
- they have hours of time (probably)
- they thought Polaris was easy, which means they also didn't enjoy it as much
- they thought Mirage was right level (I am not sure if any thought it was easy), which means they enjoyed it a lot, and prefer future worlds like Mirage

Casual Players (I am one of them)
- they do not have much time to play (I have about a hour or 30 minutes to play 5 days of the week, the other 2 I simply can't play) (some have time, though)
- they thought Polaris was right level, which means they enjoyed it a lot, and prefer future worlds like Polaris
- they thought Mirage was too hard, which means it wasn't as enjoyable

You have your types of players. Hardcores & casuals clash in opinions, one saying too hard, one saying right level or too easy. It will always be that competitiveness between them. What KI is seeing in the process of their new updates and different formats of the worlds, is that everything they change, keep, update, etc, will effect one side in a better, more positive way and the other in a worse, more negative way. There has already been a bunch of clash on this thread, and as a casual player, you probably already know my opinions. So, I'm going to leave it there. Will be coming back to this, though.

~ Allison Dragongem
From what you said I would consider myself a hardcore player but I thoroughly enjoyed Polaris not for it's difficulty, I thought it was a tad easy, but for its story. I thought the story, the look and characters made Polaris very, very good, and with mirage? A perfect world, almost no flaws I can think of. Difficulty was perfect if not a tad too easy as well. If the worlds bosses had the health like the bosses in the sands of time like bort shadowmane and shadowbones I think that would have been better.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2010
Hi every one I am Micheal fire flame on wizard101 I am having problems fighting the void if any one can give me any tips on how to beat him that would be awesome

Survivor
Jan 17, 2016
I definitely fall under the casual player category. I'm also a university student, so I don't always have time to play (I'm on break now, so I play a little more). I don't always have the time to farm for the best gear/weapons, and even if I had more time I don't know how willing I'd be to actually do it and my pets are ok-ish. I also play alone so I'm struggling like crazy in Mirage. I don't mind challenges at all in games, but if it's coming to a point where I die so much because I'm struggling to get through the quests then it's not really fun. I think the game should try to accommodate every type of player (I know that's not entirely possible, which is why I used the word try). I'm having a hard time making it through the beginning, so I think Mirage is hard imo.

-Kane NightWalker, Level 118

Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
you keep nerfing worlds because of bad players Mirage is a good world it hard but not impossible they wanted a harder world the harder it is the better you feel when you win don't make nerf Mirage pleas you made Zafaria easy because of bad players don't do the same to Mirage

Survivor
Oct 03, 2009
Let me start off by saying that Polaris was no where near hard (maybe need a partner once and a while) but with the Darkmoor gear I got, it seemed pretty easy but I didn't complain about it because there was no need to complain. I liked that they were easy, it gave me a break from long KH.

Now enter Mirage.

I'm still going through Mirage, I would say I'm an average player. I have school so the only time i can play (fully) is on saturday and sunday. I do have some people to help but most of the time I dont ask because i know it's hard to get people to help you. I do a whole lot of team up and usually become questing buddies that way (sometimes hate it).
Mirage isn't a walk though the park, just need someone do it with you. that's it.

Christina Rose 120

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
Justin Emeraldblad... on Jan 23, 2017 wrote:
you keep nerfing worlds because of bad players Mirage is a good world it hard but not impossible they wanted a harder world the harder it is the better you feel when you win don't make nerf Mirage pleas you made Zafaria easy because of bad players don't do the same to Mirage
Worlds aren't being nerfed because of bad players, they're being nerfed to accommodate different people and different playstyles. A world that may seem easy to you may seem difficult to someone else. There are many different perspectives in MMORPGs and while you may not agree with them all, it's important to acknowledge and respect them. No one way of playing is better than another.

I actually think a nerf after a world release is healthy for the game. This allows hardcore players to initially quest through the game with the challenge they prefer, and casuals will be able to catch up after the fact. It's essential that KingsIsle not alienate a portion of their player base. To do that, often some sacrifices must be made.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
All you had to do was deal with it and find a way to solo with thinking and planing or do it with some one else i solo every boss except grandfather spider jabberwock and scorpion solo hard but not impossible i did it and i have bad gear solo or get help not hard press team up or get friend cause ether i am the real MLG pokemon
or your all bad try prove me wrong (not try to start fight) good luck

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Justin Emeraldblad... on Jan 27, 2017 wrote:
All you had to do was deal with it and find a way to solo with thinking and planing or do it with some one else i solo every boss except grandfather spider jabberwock and scorpion solo hard but not impossible i did it and i have bad gear solo or get help not hard press team up or get friend cause ether i am the real MLG pokemon
Just because you did it, doesn't mean that everyone can. There are some who do have better gear and strategy, but telling others to deal with it isn't a good way to respond to a post.

Not every one wants or even likes to team up and friends aren't always on.

Please don't say things like you did in this post. Some of those posting happen to be very good and are also the same ones who have worked up all the guides on Central. So no, we are not all bad at the game.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Justin Emeraldblad... on Jan 27, 2017 wrote:
Lol, I am actually very good at the game. I consider myself a skilled casual, but a casual none the less, because I do not enjoy some of these so called "challenges". I have done every world in the game prenerf, including the first arc worlds, and I have successfully completed each one.

Maybe instead of telling others to deal with it, you can deal with a nerf so that more players can enjoy the worlds. As many have said ad nauseum, people can make a bigger challenge by handicapping themselves in some way. That is, if they really want a challenge.

Explorer
Oct 01, 2011
Black Pearl on Jan 29, 2017 wrote:
Lol, I am actually very good at the game. I consider myself a skilled casual, but a casual none the less, because I do not enjoy some of these so called "challenges". I have done every world in the game prenerf, including the first arc worlds, and I have successfully completed each one.

Maybe instead of telling others to deal with it, you can deal with a nerf so that more players can enjoy the worlds. As many have said ad nauseum, people can make a bigger challenge by handicapping themselves in some way. That is, if they really want a challenge.
Very good point with the handicap. Its like what people did with all the pokemon games and playing them in "nuzelock" mode. Wonder what we could do, no blades? no traps? perhaps no shadow magic?
Its not like we cannot go back and redo any boss battle we like. People who want a challenge could do it once and then apply said restrictions
Good idea

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Stealthhawk129 on Jan 30, 2017 wrote:
Very good point with the handicap. Its like what people did with all the pokemon games and playing them in "nuzelock" mode. Wonder what we could do, no blades? no traps? perhaps no shadow magic?
Its not like we cannot go back and redo any boss battle we like. People who want a challenge could do it once and then apply said restrictions
Good idea
A few years ago, a group of us switched out our gear for Novice gear just to fight Malistaire in DS. It is a little surprising just how much a challenge you can create by "handicapping" yourself.

That also included wands and spells. Nothing was allowed above what we would have had at Novice level.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
DragonLady1818 on Jan 31, 2017 wrote:
A few years ago, a group of us switched out our gear for Novice gear just to fight Malistaire in DS. It is a little surprising just how much a challenge you can create by "handicapping" yourself.

That also included wands and spells. Nothing was allowed above what we would have had at Novice level.
Man DragonLady, we got to get together again and do a nekked Malistaire. You, me, Black Pearl, and if Von isn't on, maybe Michael Nightgem!

To make a battle (or battles) challenging, set rules about what cards to use, or what gear you can't use. What we do is wear novice starter gear, no wands, no pets, no other gear, and you are allowed spells that are 4 pips or less. You're down to wearing nothing to help you (hence the nekked Malistaire name)

This is an example of how you can create a challenge. It's so much easier than to have something that is already a huge challenge.