Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can we finally be able to change our names?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 03, 2014
i would really like it if we could change our wizard101 names at least once! i made my account a long time ago and i thought that you would be able change it, but after 2 years on this game, i realised you can't.

and also, i accidently entered my birth date wrong so it was like i was younger than 18, so i couldn't have open chat but i'm actually 21, wizard101 team, could you try to let us change our birth dates and names?

i made a purchase like a little long time ago and i went to enable my open chat, but then, the open chat option wasn't there? and then i realised that i put my birth date on the wrong date!

I am really upset that i couldn't have open chat...

pls do something about it!

Kind Regards,

EmilySparkleFriend

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
I have played a lot of different MMORPGs (massively multiplayer online role-playing games), and I have never yet seen one that would allow you to change your character's name.

The reason is simple: allowing players to change their names opens the door to fraud. You simply have to be able to uniquely identify every character. Otherwise the annoying twits of the world can get away with endless troll behavior. You try to ignore someone annoying but they change their name and you don't realize you need to avoid them until they've annoyed you again. You try to report someone for breaking game rules but they've changed their name and which makes it more difficult for support people to figure out who you are talking about. Unusually, Wizard101 allows duplicate names, which just makes it more difficult to identify people (how many different Luke Skywalkers have you met?).

I'm sorry, I know its a pain, but allowing characters to change their names is a really bad idea. You really need to take the time to choose a cool name when you first create your character, there simply isn't any way around it.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
DanTheTerrible on Dec 3, 2016 wrote:
I have played a lot of different MMORPGs (massively multiplayer online role-playing games), and I have never yet seen one that would allow you to change your character's name.

The reason is simple: allowing players to change their names opens the door to fraud. You simply have to be able to uniquely identify every character. Otherwise the annoying twits of the world can get away with endless troll behavior. You try to ignore someone annoying but they change their name and you don't realize you need to avoid them until they've annoyed you again. You try to report someone for breaking game rules but they've changed their name and which makes it more difficult for support people to figure out who you are talking about. Unusually, Wizard101 allows duplicate names, which just makes it more difficult to identify people (how many different Luke Skywalkers have you met?).

I'm sorry, I know its a pain, but allowing characters to change their names is a really bad idea. You really need to take the time to choose a cool name when you first create your character, there simply isn't any way around it.
When someone is being annoying, you can just ignore them, so that isn't much of a problem. Also, when you report someone, it reports the account pretty much so changing the name of a character won't really have a huge impact on that. It seems to me that you would support having a larger variety of names instead of having the option to change a name. I think it would be possible to change names if there were some way of informing people that you had recently changed your name from something else.