Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Perhaps Tone Down the Mobs?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:
First of all "hardcore" and "Wizard101" do not belong in the same sentence, hard core games do not play this game ever!

Second, stop blaming the children, if a 10 year old actually makes it to Mirage I would put money on the fact that they know the game better than 80% of the adults out there.

Third, wanting to complete a game you do not understand is just ridiculous in my opinion. This is Wiz not brain surgery. What is so hard about blade, blade, blade hit anyway?

Fourth, casual does not mean clueless, gearless or petless, it is simply someone who plays the game here or there for an hour or so to relax. It does not preclude them from understanding how to play or having good gear, pets, etc.
Again, the spells people are pulling out of their decks in mob battles is just witness to how far people have progressed in the game without understanding even basic mechanics.
You are very right. Those two words should never be in the same sentence together when discussing W101. A true hardcore gamer would probably stay away based on the name alone. If they were to get past that, they probably wouldn't stay much beyond Unicorn Way, realizing this is SO not the game for them. However, KI themselves makes content for hardcore gamers within this game.

When Darkmoor came out they even said (and I quote) "its where the hardcore will live for a while". I guess they figured it would keep them occupied until more story content could be added. There is nothing wrong with that as its a good thing to have content that appeals to many different types of players. The problem is that now they want it all.

This game was never designed for those types of gamers. Are they welcome? Absolutely! However, they need to understand that W101 was designed for families. That doesn't mean just teens or adults, but 10 year olds (who I admit can be awesome at this game, but many can also find it too tedious to hold their attention for long). It also means older adults (grandparent age). For many of them this is the first MMO they have ever played. I would consider W101 more of an entry level MMO because of this. Truly I wonder how some of the hardcore types ever found this game and why they stayed.

No, casual does not mean clueless, but it can mean they are limited in some way. Usually its a time thing. Its hard to team up if you are on at weird times due to a work schedule for example. Its also hard to play with others when you have a medical condition. My nephew had this problem and could not play for more than 45 minutes at a time, many times leaving people in the middle of dungeons and battles because he got sick.

I agree that you would think people would have basic game mechanics down, and most do I think. Its the cheating that can stop some in their tracks. Its mostly not blade, blade, trap hit anymore.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
AmberRavenSong7 on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
I find your manipulative argument to be selfish. The thousands of players that simply want Mirage to be more difficult than Khrysalis are all so bad and mean! Make it all easy for anyone to solo! Bring back Unicorn way! They are hurting families and what about the disabled! Nice way to use buzzwords to pull at the heartstrings and steer the conversation to your ends. Its not that hard to get through Mirage. Its not that hard to quest in a crowded realm and find team members that are stronger if you could use a hand. Lots of players are willing to lend a hand, I personally check every single boss for wizards that are in team up for help. Making friends and team work is what its about at this level. Deal with it.
Why do you have to come here and be rude and condescending to others including me? I don't think I have attacked you personally.

I did however state a fact which seems to be something that some can't accept. as @Black Pearl stated: "(I expect harder, but a gradual slope). I expect the same and so do millions of other players, not a cliff to scale just to get to the next world.

What may not be hard for you, may be extremely difficult to another. As has been stated many times on this and other threads that "No one is asking for a walk in the park. No one is asking for easy." But when the target audience is being pushed out because the Elite few are demanding hardcore content, then the game is failing the target. There are more players in the target audience than the hardcore players and that should be what dictates to KI what difficulty levels should be introduced.

For some, including me, it is very hard to quest in a crowded realm. More often than not, if you don't have the newest computer on the market, your own game will become unstable, meaning the game lags to the point of not being able to move but a short distance before freezing up completely.

I also have friends that do play occasionally but our time zones and daily schedules don't allow us to "team up" that often WHICH is why I dual box. Not everyone likes to run with a team and telling players to "Deal with it" is extremely rude.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Dec 23, 2016 wrote:
First of all "hardcore" and "Wizard101" do not belong in the same sentence, hard core games do not play this game ever!

Second, stop blaming the children, if a 10 year old actually makes it to Mirage I would put money on the fact that they know the game better than 80% of the adults out there.

Third, wanting to complete a game you do not understand is just ridiculous in my opinion. This is Wiz not brain surgery. What is so hard about blade, blade, blade hit anyway?

Fourth, casual does not mean clueless, gearless or petless, it is simply someone who plays the game here or there for an hour or so to relax. It does not preclude them from understanding how to play or having good gear, pets, etc.
Again, the spells people are pulling out of their decks in mob battles is just witness to how far people have progressed in the game without understanding even basic mechanics.
I don't remember ever posting "hardcore" and "Wizard101" in the same sentence so not sure where you got that. I beg to differ, Hardcore gamer's ARE in fact playing this game and have been for quite some time.

I'm SORRY!! No where have I blamed children. I have though advocated for children and their families since that is the target audience of this game.

What makes you think I or others do not understand this game. As much as many of us would like to complete the game, it is worse than brain surgery. Not everything in the game is blade, blade, blade hit.

No, casual does not mean clueless, gearless or petless. Most do have good gear and pets, but not all have it. Not all have the best in the game and frankly many don't have the inclination or time to waste hours, days, weeks or more farming for the best. The drop rates have been decayed to the point of virtually pathetic rates and frustration that it is ridiculous. It is not relaxing or fun and certainly not worth paying membership.

Not all players are going to sit down and work the math that others have. They come to the game to have fun, not work. I certainly am not. I have worked with numbers all my life and I will do the minimal to get past the obstacle but not to the extent I have seen others go.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Jasmine3429 on Dec 24, 2016 wrote:
Can you elaborate on what exactly is "complicated" about this game?
If you don't believe this game is in any way a strategic game, you do not play the game enough to understand the strategies and different ways you can approach your foes in a battle. This game above most games can be extremely complicated. The way you play and the gear you use all have a cause on the way you play.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Thank you for your feedback! This thread is beginning to get off course; however, the information found here will be very valuable to our future internal discussions as we review the difficulty of Mirage in 2017.