Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Isn't Fishing Really Boring?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 12, 2012
No offense to Kingsisle, but I think fishing is really boring. I mean, the spells are ok, but I haven't come on Wizard101 to play FISHAO. I don't want to be addicted to fishing, because you could have a membership, but just waste it on fishing. I don't want to go for a fish, that will take to long. Fishing doesn't even give you that much money.

Katie LifeSword

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
Eh I like it but I can see how it could,be considered boring

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Lol, I've to agree with ya. I see what KI was trying to do by possible incorporating a possible past time experience here, but I guess if you weren't a fan of fishing in Real Life, then you definitely won't be in a Game haha.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I enjoy fishing, but primarily only when new fish come out. I catch every fish with every wizard.

It does get boring when there's nothing new though. I'm trying to get all of the fishing badges, but I can only empty my energy globe a couple days in a row just fishing before I stop again for a while.

4,000 catches is just too much. Maybe not for everybody, but for me it is. I mean if I total all the fish I've caught across 12 wizards, I've caught well over 13,000 fish/chests total. But every wizard has to catch 4,000 fish to get the badges and in that case it does indeed become incredibly boring because progress is so slow.

It's not like defeat badges where you can get more than 1 enemy in a duel at a time. With fish, every one of them is an individual catch. It just takes forever!

Defender
Jun 23, 2016
There are times, when I find the distraction of fishing relieving especially late at night when I cannot sleep it is something that allows me to relax in a virtual environment without engaging in battle and having to overly think.

At other times I can agree especially in areas that are extremely busy like the Commons or Krok. But just hopping over to Moo Shu and going to some area to fish can be relaxing at times.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Oh my goodness, how can you saying fishing in Wizard 101 is really...
....ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow,even typing to discuss in-game fishing puts me to sleep.

Some recipes I crafted required specific fish; so I caught them. Which led me to catch more fish; until eventually, I caught them all. Even with this being said; yes fishing is not the most exciting activity in the game. Although I heard through the rumor mill, for those not able to handle the stimulating world of in-game fishing, later in the year, a new game is being introduced in Wizard 101 that's called the Watch the Grass Grow / Paint Dry Combo Game. And yes, its completely true I just made this all up; except the part about fishing not being the most exciting activity in the game. That part is true.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Some people find decorating homes extremely boring and a complete waste of time. Others spend much of their time and money doing it. It's all about having diverse activities, not appealing to every player. Some people like to craft. Some people like to garden. Some love pet hatching and training. Some like Pet Derby. Some like PvP. Some don't want to do anything but quest. Everyone gets to pick and choose the activities they want to participate in. You'll find people that love or hate something about every activity in the game. If it's not for you, just skip it.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Fishing isn't boring, its...
....ZZZzzzzzzzz

Some things to make fishing less boring:
  • It would be cool if you could place your wizard in a boat to fish
  • Let wizards stand or sit on objects that float on the water; and have these object move while they fish
  • Create a spell, fishing lure, or potion that lets you send away all fish but the one you search for by name
  • Allow for a physical object lure attractant you can place in or on the body of water you fish at. This lure sends out a signal that attracts the fish you want, while scaring away all the ones you don't want
  • Let wizards have a fishing gps that allows them to see and identify all fish in their immediately area

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
I suppose that considering something as 'boring' depends on your perspective. No offense to the OP personally, but there's a popular saying that "only boring people ever get bored", meaning that people with inquisitive minds can have fun with anything. They see something of value to be learned and gained in any activity and are willing to give it a try - even ones which on the surface don't seem to have much worth or are all that flashy or popular.

Many people enjoy spending some quiet time fishing. It acts as a balance to the hyper speed pace at which some people like to quest. It's a great way to spend a bit of time in the morning when trying to wake up or to relax after a very busy day. It isn't something most would do constantly, but in regular small batches, like gardening, pet training and crafting. Like them, it's just another solo side activity. It helps improve one's attention span, teaches patience and helps lift stress. Not every moment spent in the game has to be a frantic push to the top. Actually, with it's complexity, available badges and "chill appeal", Fishing has developed quite a cult following.

...And I believe if the OP really gave Fishing more than just a passing glance, they'd realize that there's really a ton of gold to rake in. Chests give gold, rare pets and housing items, sometimes fabulous, rare gear and very nice reagents to use/sell. Some fish species are worth upwards of 4000-6000 gold. When featured as the Catch of the Day, many fish sell for 8000-18000 gold - each. That's no small change!

Survivor
Aug 08, 2012
Personally I believe fishing is a fun aspect of the game. It gives you something to do when you have either finished the game, waiting for your quest buddy to come on or even if you are waiting for your crafting timers to cool down!

I can see your point but there are so many fish to catch now and it will definitely take you awhile to find them all. I believe it would be cooler if you could actually use see-able 'spells' to catch the fish but other than that I like it just the way it is.

Regards,

Christopher Frogweaver - Level 110

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Christopher FrogWe... on Nov 19, 2016 wrote:
Personally I believe fishing is a fun aspect of the game. It gives you something to do when you have either finished the game, waiting for your quest buddy to come on or even if you are waiting for your crafting timers to cool down!

I can see your point but there are so many fish to catch now and it will definitely take you awhile to find them all. I believe it would be cooler if you could actually use see-able 'spells' to catch the fish but other than that I like it just the way it is.

Regards,

Christopher Frogweaver - Level 110
I've caught every fish in the game; and some were much harder to catch over other ones.

Welcomed additions to Wizard 101, would be to have a fish market in the game, and also having more efficient and effective utility spells.

Fish Market
A fish market allows players to buy and sell fish.
- this could be done at the bazaar, via existing fish vendors, or designate one or more actual fishing markets throughout the game

Utility Spells
Having the wizard simply waves their hands, and the fish they seek instantly appear in a container of their choosing is very lazy. Instead, let's have spells that help the wizard fish more effectively and efficiently:
1. Fish Verify Spell
This spell tells you if the fish you seek is in the water or not.

2. Fish Tagging Spell
This spell tags and shows you exactly where the fish you're attempting to catch is.
The tagging icon appears directly above the fish for so many seconds, minutes, or continually.

3. Fishing Chest Identification Spell

This spell shows you where the fishing chests are

Here's to everyone getting to experience and enjoy in-game fishing as best as possible, and in their own way!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Tylerwildpants on Nov 24, 2016 wrote:
I've caught every fish in the game; and some were much harder to catch over other ones.

Welcomed additions to Wizard 101, would be to have a fish market in the game, and also having more efficient and effective utility spells.

Fish Market
A fish market allows players to buy and sell fish.
- this could be done at the bazaar, via existing fish vendors, or designate one or more actual fishing markets throughout the game

Utility Spells
Having the wizard simply waves their hands, and the fish they seek instantly appear in a container of their choosing is very lazy. Instead, let's have spells that help the wizard fish more effectively and efficiently:
1. Fish Verify Spell
This spell tells you if the fish you seek is in the water or not.

2. Fish Tagging Spell
This spell tags and shows you exactly where the fish you're attempting to catch is.
The tagging icon appears directly above the fish for so many seconds, minutes, or continually.

3. Fishing Chest Identification Spell

This spell shows you where the fishing chests are

Here's to everyone getting to experience and enjoy in-game fishing as best as possible, and in their own way!
how about having higher level lures (not sure what level to start with though) use pet snacks to increase (by a small amount only) fishing luck. This would also allow us to use all those trillions of "useless" pet snacks. Not sure how the mechanics of it would work though

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Boring? Not to me, no.

I don't fish often but when I do it's usually because I am kind of burnt out on battling.

Frustrating? To me, yes.

The fishing quests...I just never seem to catch the ones it asks me to catch. I sure have a lot of Dekoi though :/

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
dayerider on Nov 24, 2016 wrote:
how about having higher level lures (not sure what level to start with though) use pet snacks to increase (by a small amount only) fishing luck. This would also allow us to use all those trillions of "useless" pet snacks. Not sure how the mechanics of it would work though
ooh, new ways to increase fishing luck; I like your suggestion DayeRider

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Tylerwildpants on Nov 25, 2016 wrote:
ooh, new ways to increase fishing luck; I like your suggestion DayeRider
thanks, I had a few ideas about how to actually get more use out of pet snacks, and this was one method I thought would work nicely

Survivor
Jan 29, 2014
I like to fish because I think it's relaxing and I love to collect. I also enjoy fishing for chests in the Polarian Shipwreck and the Nomad's Camp for goodies such as Pirate101 music scrolls, which is top-notch music. It's okay if you don't like fishing, you can always try something else

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I think fishing is quite boring, but I know tons of people who will completely disagree with me. I had to fish for a crafting recipe. So i'm sure whoever is really into crafting will be forced to fish if they like it or not. Many people fish for code wands since some of them look really cool. No one can really declare that fishing is boring.