Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Has anyone "bought" the whole game?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 15, 2009
I currently have a max life wizard. I bought a $60 for 60,000 crowns, and it bought my way up to Celestia. I then bought a couple more crowns to get to Zafaria. I then decided to try the $60 1 year membership, which ends on November 6th. And now I'm sad because I could have used $120 to buy 120,000 crowns and "buy" the whole game, which makes the whole game free.

Has anyone done this? Is this smart?

Explorer
Jan 27, 2013
That is amazing. I don't know anyone that would do that. It seems smart if you have a lot of wizards, and just want to make a few payments instead of monthly, yearly, etc. As well as if you plan to play the game for a very long time.

Dakota TitanHeart,
Prodigious Diviner

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
I have a couple friends who own every area. It's smart for them, since they never need a membership, and they have enough crowns saved up for the rest of the third arc.

One bad thing is that member benefits do NOT apply to Crowns Players, and they still have to pay Crowns for Tournaments. They also have to pay Crowns for Ranked PVP and Derby races, it takes a little bit longer to get Energy, and they can only hatch a pet once every 24 hours.

It is smart if you plan on playing long term.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2015
depends on how long you gonna to play this game, for me yes i bought all maps but not smart

the very reason: you do not always need to have access to lower level maps

but if you wanna to try all wizards plus level them all to max sure buy maps

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Yes, I started working on buying all the areas in about 2011 and just worked on it slowly until I had every single area. It took me about 2 years but I was working verrrrrrry slowly because of a lack of a full time job while in school lol. I am extremely happy with it because it means a larger investment, but in the long term I've paid WAY less than I would have with a membership. I'm the type of person who will go back to places like firecat alley just for fun so I really don't feel like I wasted my crowns on places I don't use anymore, because I still use all the areas. I highly recommend this route to anyone who knows they're going to be playing for at least 3+ years from the time they buy all the areas with crowns.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I have a Crowns account and a sub account. Both have their pros and cons. It's not a simple yes or no when asking if one way or the other is smart. They're both smart for different reasons.

On my sub account, I never bought any areas though. When I cancelled my subscription, all I could play was Wizard City for a few months until I decided to renew again. My Crowns account still had access to every area in the game.

It wasn't a bad decision, it was just a decision. There isn't really a right or wrong. If you're buying Crowns and memberships when the sales are on, which it sounds like you have been, you're taking advantage of the best possible value being offered.

If you don't feel like the member benefits were worthwhile, cancel your sub and go back to Crowns. The decision to switch back or stay the course will be approximately the same dollar figure in the short term.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Personally, I have bought the areas from Wizard City to Caliburn (maybe skipping Aquila I think, because it wasn't out at the time) and I have also used Membership. Truthfully, I think what the other people have said rings true, you don't get the membership benefits, but you do get those areas on the account forever. I got tired of having to fork out money for areas and wanted the member benefits so I got a year subscription, but in retrospect, I wish that I hadn't as I haven't been on hardly at all over the last month and a half. It just depends on preference.