Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disappointing Gauntlet

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 22, 2009
I mean I'm sorry but was anyone else kind of let down and disappointed by the new clock tower or great clock gauntlet? I mean I ran it with all level 110 wizards, it wasn't hard at all and is only four short battles. The spiral gauntlet wasn't that hard, but at least it was longer. I have bought every single gauntlet so far, and this is the most disappointing, I mean I feel like I almost wasted the money on this card. Does anyone else agree? Maybe kingsisle could update the gauntlet even, or at least do a much better job on the next one. If they want people to spend $39 on a card, the least they can do is put some more work and thought into it, most people buy these cards for a challenge and for some fun.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
I personally thought the Avalon and pigswick ones were the worst because not only are they boring, but they have terrible drops. At least you can get some crowns pets (and the near-legendary steel golem pet) in this one. Winterbane was the last truly good gauntlet and after that, KI's attempts at gauntlets have been half-hearted at best. The fights in clockwork are boring, I agree, but at least I've been getting worthwhile drops (to me, at least).

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I don't think most people buy the housing gauntlets for a challenge. They really kind of have to make housing gauntlets easier than they would make a regular dungeon. Who wants to pay for a dungeon that requires you to have 3 other players in order to get through it? I want to be able to run the gauntlets alone whenever I feel like it to farm for the drops.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
The main use I get out of the gauntlets I own is to get newer players some gold and help them level into gear and spells that will help them in difficult areas. I don't mind having to work for it a bit, nor do I feel it's a total waste of money if it's fairly straightforward and "boring".

I have a friend who is currently level 55. He and used to run pagoda a lot when he was level 28 and had just run out of membership. Neither of us expected what was to happen next. He was in school, senior year of HS I believe, and just did not have a spare penny to renew. So for the next year, he ran Pagoda and then Bane almost every day to grind levels and get gold to hatch. The day he got to level 48, we pressured him to pick up his spell quest for Scarecrow at least. Finally he got to around level 52 and hit winter break with a new sub. He had a lot of catching up to do, but managed to get it all under his belt and start Celestia before running out again.

I don't think he would have done this if a) Pagoda hadn't "grown" with him to keep him on his toes; or b) the cheats were so thick and fast that you needed a team of 4 highly trained "power farmers" to complete the instance.

As long as gauntlets remain worth running, but not so tedious and brutal that you can't actually run it without TAS/Mercenaries, I do not mind. You have the occasional "hilarious blowout" when Jokul rips a crit giant or someone trips a massive Chain Reaction in Pagoda, but if you really want to speed farm these you could.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
crunkatog on Aug 15, 2016 wrote:
The main use I get out of the gauntlets I own is to get newer players some gold and help them level into gear and spells that will help them in difficult areas. I don't mind having to work for it a bit, nor do I feel it's a total waste of money if it's fairly straightforward and "boring".

I have a friend who is currently level 55. He and used to run pagoda a lot when he was level 28 and had just run out of membership. Neither of us expected what was to happen next. He was in school, senior year of HS I believe, and just did not have a spare penny to renew. So for the next year, he ran Pagoda and then Bane almost every day to grind levels and get gold to hatch. The day he got to level 48, we pressured him to pick up his spell quest for Scarecrow at least. Finally he got to around level 52 and hit winter break with a new sub. He had a lot of catching up to do, but managed to get it all under his belt and start Celestia before running out again.

I don't think he would have done this if a) Pagoda hadn't "grown" with him to keep him on his toes; or b) the cheats were so thick and fast that you needed a team of 4 highly trained "power farmers" to complete the instance.

As long as gauntlets remain worth running, but not so tedious and brutal that you can't actually run it without TAS/Mercenaries, I do not mind. You have the occasional "hilarious blowout" when Jokul rips a crit giant or someone trips a massive Chain Reaction in Pagoda, but if you really want to speed farm these you could.
Oh how cool, I had never thought to use gauntlets as a leveling-up technique! I ought to try this as an experiment on one of my noob wizards. Our of curiosity, did he usually solo, or go in with a friend or two?

Anyway, it seems I have been disappointed because I've been looking at these gauntlets from the wrong perspective. You are right, it seems they are meant to be a diversion for times when you don't want to take on massive, painful dungeons like darkmoor but still want to spend some time playing wiz. This actually kind of makes me want to go log in a do a few runs of winterbane now.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Quick question, did the Cuckoo Clock housing gauntlet come with a badge by completing it? If not, ask KI to add a badge in that gauntlet, because housing gauntlets purchased through bundles should have badges.