Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The hardest fish to catch?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
What would you say is the most difficult fish to catch?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I cannot catch Sharkspeare.

Also I cannot figure out how to tell which school a fish will like. I keep losing fish I caught because it says the fish did not like my school.

Anyone know how to catch Sharkspeare?

Survivor
Aug 13, 2013
I have caught every single fish out there, well assuming they don't come out a new fish tomorrow. I made it my mission to catch them all lol. Personally the hardest fish for me was Errol Fynn. Took me almost a month to get it. I fished for it almost every day back when I was trying to get it. I was soo excited when I finally got it. The second hardest fish for me was Goldfin-ger.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Heartfelt Thaumatu... on Aug 4, 2016 wrote:
I gave up fishing for the Bubba Fish

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Love the names they give the fish. Errol Fynn? Goldfin-ger? Lol

They name characters a lot of recognizable names or puns too.

Adds to the game.

I still don't know how to catch the fish I want. Lol

Does anyone know if we have to buy something to help catch certain fish? Thanks.

Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
SparkleTude on Aug 19, 2016 wrote:
Love the names they give the fish. Errol Fynn? Goldfin-ger? Lol

They name characters a lot of recognizable names or puns too.

Adds to the game.

I still don't know how to catch the fish I want. Lol

Does anyone know if we have to buy something to help catch certain fish? Thanks.
I've caught all the fish in the game (up to date) and the only thing I ever purchased was energy and fishing luck potions, and of course tanks to display them in.

For me the hardest fish to catch was the Red Grunion.

SparkleTude I did a lot of googling for tip on catching certain fish. the tips are out there it just takes a little digging around the net to find them. Good Luck!

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I've caught all, but the following fishes; so any of these have been the most difficult to catch:
Blackberry Jellyfish (Ice)
Bubba Fish
(Balance)
Cranky Catfish (Ice)
Errol Fynn (Balance)
Goldfin-ger (Fire)
Little Mackerel (Balance)
Polar Bear Acuda (Ice)
Sam Bass (Ice)
Silver Streak
(Ice)
Undead Spyre Eel (Death)

Survivor
Jul 20, 2016
SparkleTude on Aug 17, 2016 wrote:

Also I cannot figure out how to tell which school a fish will like. I keep losing fish I caught because it says the fish did not like my school.

When I was a beginner fisher on an alternate account, I was messing around in the commons and caught one in the big pond. Maybe this helps?

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
alex411h on Aug 17, 2016 wrote:
I have caught every single fish out there, well assuming they don't come out a new fish tomorrow. I made it my mission to catch them all lol. Personally the hardest fish for me was Errol Fynn. Took me almost a month to get it. I fished for it almost every day back when I was trying to get it. I was soo excited when I finally got it. The second hardest fish for me was Goldfin-ger.
Errol Fynn I still find to be the most difficult (with the exception of the ones mentioned in the Zafaria Fishing thread I just started), along with the Krokotopian Eel. They're both Balance fish, they're both Rank 1, and they are both in ponds with other Rank 1 Balance fish. The Mainstream Dekoi swims fairly fast, while the Archer Fish swims marginally faster, and Errol Fynn only swims marginally faster than the Archer Fish. It can be difficult to distinguish them, and thus you waste a lot of energy catching fish you don't want.

Same with the Krokotopian Eels (minus the Archer Fish being in Krok ponds), except that it's been so rare that I've caught one that I didn't even notice if it swam faster or slower than the Mainstream Dekoi. I was just throwing lures out hoping for the best.

As for catching Sharkspeare, it's an Ice fish. Try fishing at an Ice House on Castle Tours. I've seen plenty of them there if you're having a hard time finding them in Cyclops Lane.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Update to the Hardest Fish to Catch:

Its a tie between the
Blackberry Jellyfish (Ice) and Bubba Fish (Balance). So far, these fish tookthe longest amount of time to catch.

Overall, I have 141 o
ut of 147 fish, with the following six fish left to catch:

Errol Fynn (Balance)
Polar Bear Acuda (Ice)
Sam Bass (Ice)
Silver Streak
(Ice)
Undead Spyre Eel (Death)

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Tylerwildpants on Aug 21, 2016 wrote:
Update to the Hardest Fish to Catch:

Its a tie between the
Blackberry Jellyfish (Ice) and Bubba Fish (Balance). So far, these fish tookthe longest amount of time to catch.

Overall, I have 141 o
ut of 147 fish, with the following six fish left to catch:

Errol Fynn (Balance)
Polar Bear Acuda (Ice)
Sam Bass (Ice)
Silver Streak
(Ice)
Undead Spyre Eel (Death)
You're missing some fish somewhere. There are currently 153 unique fish, not counting chests.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Fishes#axzz4I17f1ZO4

I'd say it's the new Doodlefish, but there were only 146 fish before they came along, and there were seven of them. Unless you're counting chests as the 147th unique catch, then maybe it is the Doodlefish.

I've got 12 wizards that have all 153. I have five additional wizards who have 125, 131, 132, 133, and 134 right now. So far of the fish they've all gone looking for at least once, none of them have found/caught an Errol Fynn, a Silver Streak, or an Undead Spyre Eel. There are some other fish that none of them have caught yet, but they haven't tried to neither. I've intentionally avoided fishing for most of the Doodlefish in the school castles, as well as some of the rare fish in Wizard City that I didn't have yet, until my one month membership expires because I can catch them any time after that.

I did catch my first Sam Bass with one of those five wizards just a few hours ago.

Delver
Aug 07, 2012
to SparkeTude:

Sharkspeare can be caught in Old Towne with an ice lure by the craft quest lady. Good luck.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
High Five Ghost on Aug 22, 2016 wrote:
You're missing some fish somewhere. There are currently 153 unique fish, not counting chests.

I'd say it's the new Doodlefish, but there were only 146 fish before they came along, and there were seven of them. Unless you're counting chests as the 147th unique catch, then maybe it is the Doodlefish.

I've got 12 wizards that have all 153. I have five additional wizards who have 125, 131, 132, 133, and 134 right now. So far of the fish they've all gone looking for at least once, none of them have found/caught an Errol Fynn, a Silver Streak, or an Undead Spyre Eel. There are some other fish that none of them have caught yet, but they haven't tried to neither. I've intentionally avoided fishing for most of the Doodlefish in the school castles, as well as some of the rare fish in Wizard City that I didn't have yet, until my one month membership expires because I can catch them any time after that.

I did catch my first Sam Bass with one of those five wizards just a few hours ago.
Doodlefish!?! Tanks, you're my new Fishing Hero of The Day!
I now have 149 out of 154 fish :)

Historian
Jun 19, 2010

High Five Ghost,

With the Sam Bass Fish, where did you catch this, and did you notice anything how this fish moved or acted (i.e. faster or slower than other fish, changed direction often, found in one place, did you do anything specific to help you catch this fish easier, etc...). Thanks for sharing,

Tyler

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Tylerwildpants on Aug 23, 2016 wrote:
High Five Ghost,

With the Sam Bass Fish, where did you catch this, and did you notice anything how this fish moved or acted (i.e. faster or slower than other fish, changed direction often, found in one place, did you do anything specific to help you catch this fish easier, etc...). Thanks for sharing,

Tyler
Sam Bass only spawns in the lava pool on the left when you first enter the Grand Chasm from the Athenuem. He moves very fast, but the even better news is that he's the only Ice fish that will spawn in that particular area. So if you have Winnow Ice, just cast that. If you inspect the pool from end to end and find no fish, summon fish and repeat as necessary.

He doesn't come around often, so be prepared that it may take a few days (if you don't use Energy Elixirs) for one to pop up. Or you might get extremely lucky like my wizard did the other night and he just happens to be there on your first try. Good luck!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Davidfire school on Aug 22, 2016 wrote:
to SparkeTude:

Sharkspeare can be caught in Old Towne with an ice lure by the craft quest lady. Good luck.
Thank you!!! :)

And thank you to TheHieb2016 also. :)

Does anyone know how I can buy fishing cards to catch fish from other schools? I have the freebie frost fish card but that is all. I can't see other school cards for fishing, for sale anywhere. I go back to the pelican and he doesn't have anything for me. Thanks.

Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
1. In the Commons in Olde town, Lucky Hookline the guy who taught you fishing in the first place sells the first set of fishing lure cards

2. In the main area of Grizzleheim there are two fishing masters. Haarek and Frode Silverscale. If I remember correctly they both sell the second set of fishing lure cards.

3. In the Labyrinth found in Dragonspyre there is a fishing teacher (Timor Flamecaster) who sells some very useful fishing cards.

4. Yuri Smokesnare in the Atheneum of Dragonspyre, sells some fishing lure cards and a couple other handy spells.

5. Ryoshi, found in the Jade Palace are of Mooshu, has some fishing quests and sells a few good fishing utility spells as well.

Hope this helps.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
High Five Ghost on Aug 23, 2016 wrote:
Sam Bass only spawns in the lava pool on the left when you first enter the Grand Chasm from the Athenuem. He moves very fast, but the even better news is that he's the only Ice fish that will spawn in that particular area. So if you have Winnow Ice, just cast that. If you inspect the pool from end to end and find no fish, summon fish and repeat as necessary.

He doesn't come around often, so be prepared that it may take a few days (if you don't use Energy Elixirs) for one to pop up. Or you might get extremely lucky like my wizard did the other night and he just happens to be there on your first try. Good luck!
I finally caught the Sam Bass fish; and it only took forever! After many attempts, it was Christmas Morning all over again after casting Winnow Ice, and only one fish remained :P

Historian
Jun 19, 2010

High Five Ghost,

Thanks for motivating me to catch more fish, now its down to just catching the Silver Streak and Errol Fin fish!

Tyler

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Tylerwildpants on Aug 25, 2016 wrote:
High Five Ghost,

Thanks for motivating me to catch more fish, now its down to just catching the Silver Streak and Errol Fin fish!

Tyler
I'm not sure if you know the trick for the Silver Streak, but it's very much the same as Sam Bass. The very first pool you see inside the Emperor's Retreat is the only place it spawns, and it'll be the only Ice fish there. It's super fast too!

Because it's a small pool, I don't spend the extra energy casting Winnow. I just do Reveal Fish School, and if it's not there, then Summon.

Errol Fynn may take a while. It's definitely the fastest swimming in Ravenwood, but there are a lot of fish in that area that swim fast. I caught a lot of Mainstrem Dekois and Archer Fish looking for Errol Fynns. When you find one, you'll see what I mean about how fast it is. But the small MD's and even average sized AF are also fast enough that you're suckered in to trying to catch them just in case.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Eliais on Aug 24, 2016 wrote:
1. In the Commons in Olde town, Lucky Hookline the guy who taught you fishing in the first place sells the first set of fishing lure cards

2. In the main area of Grizzleheim there are two fishing masters. Haarek and Frode Silverscale. If I remember correctly they both sell the second set of fishing lure cards.

3. In the Labyrinth found in Dragonspyre there is a fishing teacher (Timor Flamecaster) who sells some very useful fishing cards.

4. Yuri Smokesnare in the Atheneum of Dragonspyre, sells some fishing lure cards and a couple other handy spells.

5. Ryoshi, found in the Jade Palace are of Mooshu, has some fishing quests and sells a few good fishing utility spells as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
High Five Ghost on Aug 25, 2016 wrote:
I'm not sure if you know the trick for the Silver Streak, but it's very much the same as Sam Bass. The very first pool you see inside the Emperor's Retreat is the only place it spawns, and it'll be the only Ice fish there. It's super fast too!

Because it's a small pool, I don't spend the extra energy casting Winnow. I just do Reveal Fish School, and if it's not there, then Summon.

Errol Fynn may take a while. It's definitely the fastest swimming in Ravenwood, but there are a lot of fish in that area that swim fast. I caught a lot of Mainstrem Dekois and Archer Fish looking for Errol Fynns. When you find one, you'll see what I mean about how fast it is. But the small MD's and even average sized AF are also fast enough that you're suckered in to trying to catch them just in case.
High Five Ghost,

Thanks for all the great advice; and now I can say I caught all the fish! The Errol Finn is challenging due to the multiple balance fish in the water at the same time. But thankfully, after catching pages of Archer Fish and Mainstream Dekois; the Errol Finn was finally mine! Now I can take a break from fishing for awhile :) Thanks again for all the great tips!

Tyler

Survivor
Jul 21, 2016
SparkleTude on Aug 17, 2016 wrote:

Most times I've caught the Sharkspeare in the little pond in Old Town, next to the crafting lady (Eudora Tangletree?)

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I think at this point I just have to catch the epic ranked fish (and a that UFO fish from celestia) Epic fish in general are a pain because you have to keep going back and refreshing the pond and what not.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2016
I think ether the Owlfish or the krokotopianeal