Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 22, 2011
Hi there, I was wondering if it was possible for me to get open chat. I've been playing this year for around 5 years and I started back in 2011 when I was around 13-14 years old. I was wondering that since I'm now 18 years old would it be possible for me to change my text chat to open chat.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
Yes, here are the steps. Wizard101.com > My Accounts > Parental Controls > Open Chat (On)

If you have recently made a purchase then you should be able to do this

Survivor
Sep 02, 2009
I think you have to start off as a 18 y/o. I don't know though.

Survivor
Jul 17, 2016
if u buy membership with a credit card just go into your parent account and turn on open chat (dude a kid just outsmarted u )

Survivor
Apr 22, 2011
I did that already and checked yesterday and didn't see the option. It's because when I made the account I set it as my real birthday and I was only around 13-14 years old at the time. I think I need help from an administrator, I have a one month member purchased along with some crowns so I should be more than eligible for it, yet the option isn't even showing under my account.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Hi! Per the FAQ: "Members who are over the age of 18, and have a valid credit card on file with us, can enable the 18+ Open Chat. Gift Cards cannot be used to unlock Open Chat.

Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players.

This chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active credit card Member community only.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Currently Active Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.

18+ Open Chat will expire when the Membership expires."

If you have met the requirements above and still can't enable your Open Chat, please contact our Customer Support for more assistance.

Email: support@wizard101.com
Wb: https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
Dworgyn on Aug 6, 2016 wrote:
Hi! Per the FAQ: "Members who are over the age of 18, and have a valid credit card on file with us, can enable the 18+ Open Chat. Gift Cards cannot be used to unlock Open Chat.

Open Chat allows players a more open communication environment with other 18+ players.

This chat will be filtered for profanity. In this channel, when players type their text they will see 3 colors in the chat window: white means 13+ can see it, yellow means only 18+ can see it, and red is completely filtered.

This chat feature is in response to our community's requests. To ensure the highest level of safety, we have chosen to provide this for our active credit card Member community only.

Please note that this option is off by default, and you must actively select this option under Account Management.

Our terms for in-game communication with other players will remain the same. Violent and abusive behavior, as well as the exchange of personal information is still not acceptable.

Currently Active Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101.

18+ Open Chat will expire when the Membership expires."

If you have met the requirements above and still can't enable your Open Chat, please contact our Customer Support for more assistance.

Email: support@wizard101.com
Wb: https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game
Dworgyn, are you sure that is correct? I remember reading somewhere that you admitted earlier that the information found in the FAQ for Open Chat is outdated and false, and you would have it changed.

I know that Open Chat will remain whether or not your Membership expired.

Also, having a valid credit card does not guarantee Open Chat being available, and the only way it will be available is if your account has an age of at least 18 years old. For example, if you set your age as 15 when making an account, then you would have to wait 3 years after that date to be able to have the option of selecting Open Chat. (You would still have to make a purchase to enable it, however).

Dworgyn, can you respond to this? I'm a bit confused as I also saw threads on Central believing that the information in the FAQ for Open Chat was inaccurate.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Blaze Sunthorn on Aug 7, 2016 wrote:
Dworgyn, are you sure that is correct? I remember reading somewhere that you admitted earlier that the information found in the FAQ for Open Chat is outdated and false, and you would have it changed.

I know that Open Chat will remain whether or not your Membership expired.

Also, having a valid credit card does not guarantee Open Chat being available, and the only way it will be available is if your account has an age of at least 18 years old. For example, if you set your age as 15 when making an account, then you would have to wait 3 years after that date to be able to have the option of selecting Open Chat. (You would still have to make a purchase to enable it, however).

Dworgyn, can you respond to this? I'm a bit confused as I also saw threads on Central believing that the information in the FAQ for Open Chat was inaccurate.
Right! it sounds like we also need to strike the line "18+ Open Chat will expire when the Membership expires."

I'm not seeing in that FAQ where we state that merely having a credit card on file would guarantee Open chat. Can you point out the confusing line?

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
Dworgyn on Aug 8, 2016 wrote:
Right! it sounds like we also need to strike the line "18+ Open Chat will expire when the Membership expires."

I'm not seeing in that FAQ where we state that merely having a credit card on file would guarantee Open chat. Can you point out the confusing line?
The line in the FAQ says "Currently Active Accounts must be verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101."

This line can imply that having a valid credit card on an account automatically verifies it as 18+.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2009
How does this work for accounts that are part of a family account for which all purchases are done through Paypal? I don't know if I messed up when I created one of the accounts, but I just turned 33 a bit over a week ago, so I'm way over 18, but I only purchase through Paypal. The account in question does not show an option for open chat at all.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2011
But I currently do have a membership and I am 18 years old. My age was set to 13 or 14 when I signed up in 2011. I need an administrator to help me out with this because It doesn't show the option for me even though I have a credit card linked to my account. The reason it doesn't show is because I signed up and wasn't old enough but now I am. Can one of the kingsisle administrators unlock this feature for my account please?

Survivor
Apr 18, 2013
Open chat not being allowed for accounts that were registered when you were younger than 13

It's been making me really upset that i can't unlock open chat when i am 18 years old even though i am 18 years old. is there now way i can change the date of birth on my account so i can have open chat

Survivor
Jul 02, 2009
ScorchedGaming on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
But I currently do have a membership and I am 18 years old. My age was set to 13 or 14 when I signed up in 2011. I need an administrator to help me out with this because It doesn't show the option for me even though I have a credit card linked to my account. The reason it doesn't show is because I signed up and wasn't old enough but now I am. Can one of the kingsisle administrators unlock this feature for my account please?
I had this happen too, I was 9 when I made an account so I thought I wouldn't be able to get open chat at all. I emailed W101 and told them I was 21 and they gave me the option in my account's parental settings. Make sure you have made a purchase with a card with your name on it too.