Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A question about account protection,

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 26, 2015
Hey, I just wanted to know (Didn't know if this was the right thread) But I want to know if anyone knows some sure proof ways to make sure my account doesn't get Hacked, and it's secure if someone every does get access to my account, this is what I've done so far:

1. Changed my pass every Month or Two,

2. Obviously not giving information, and such.

But I wanted to know if there's any of preliminary measures I can do. As I do have some things i'd like to keep on my account and I want it to be as safe as can be.

Explorer
Apr 25, 2010
It sounds like you are doing a great job protecting your account. You don't however have to really change your password unless you feel like it. I have had the same password for about more than a year now. If you ever see suspicious activity going around always change your password and contact KingsIsle. (One time in a range of few days I had two or three people tell me about how there account was hacked. I was so scared that I changed my password)

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
That's very smart to change your password every few months. I would just suggest avoid going to weird sites, as it can be rare, but still perfectly possible to get keyloggers and other nasty things that compromise your security and steal your login info. Anti-virus programs must be used in conjunction with firewalls for maximum protection, so make sure you have both, but even then it is dangerous to browse unfamiliar/sketchy sites- you never know when someone will have figured out a way to get around your security programs!

Back when I played MUD games, game owners and admins always advised to never use the same username/password for any other accounts because it was relatively easy for people to capture your password and/or username and plug it into other sites to see if they could gain access. Despite the fact that MUDs generally use less secure networks and games like W101 are incredibly safe, I've always remembered this advice and no two passwords on my various accounts (games, bank, email, etc.) match. If you aren't already doing this, it's a great habit to get into.

If you share your computer with others, don't use the password saving feature unless you know you can trust everyone else with whom you share your device- younger siblings, especially, could unknowingly do something to compromise your privacy.

Finally, educate all your friends and family- especially younger people- and spread the knowledge you have. Computer education is still shockingly lacking in schools and older people like me never even got formal instruction on computer safety and thus had to teach ourselves. Even just one smart decision could prevent multiple machines from catching viruses through USB sharing, emails, network connections, etc..

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Sorry, I'm not sure if my last reply went through.

Yes, keep up with what you are doing. In addition make sure that your MasterPassword is not the same as your game login password. Also it helps if you only connect from home and not random free wifi spots all over the place. Also don't go to bad/ sketchy sites that might have malware. Stick to sites that you know/trust. Good luck!

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Great advice All
Just wanted to point out that every time someone has said they were "hacked" on this game it was due to account sharing (which is against wiz rules) and their 'friend' turned out not to be so great and sold stuff, used up crowns, etc. Or using Skype with others on game (happens in arena) without knowing them irl; there is a way to get IP info by doing this and having the risk of ddos (also against game rules to share personal info with the exception of True Friend).

KI is good with security measures; I have yet to hear of a genuine hack on this site.