Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does hatching actually work?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 15, 2013
I always thought that if two pets hatch, the new pet would have the stats or may casts of the parents. The reason I am asking is that today I hatched and I somehow got a pet with may cast locus swarm, when neither parent had the may cast. So how does hatching work and what determines what pet gets what?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
skull98oo on Oct 10, 2015 wrote:
I always thought that if two pets hatch, the new pet would have the stats or may casts of the parents. The reason I am asking is that today I hatched and I somehow got a pet with may cast locus swarm, when neither parent had the may cast. So how does hatching work and what determines what pet gets what?
pet talents are random and are determined at hatch~ each pet has 10 talents in its pool, meaning that the new pet will manifest 5 of those 20 talents at random..

think of it like human genetics~ each of us has dominant and recessive genes. for example:

mom von: brown hair, brown eyes
dad von: blonde hair, blue eyes.

therefore, i could be either of those; i could also be blonde with brown eyes, or have brown hair and blue eyes.

so let's say i ended up with brown hair and brown eyes, just like mom. those are dominant genes, while the others are still in my genetic makeup and are therefore recessive.

let's also say that i marry a guy whose hair and eyes are also brown... thanks to recessive genes, it's entirely possible that the two of us could have a blonde, blue-eyed baby. or, even if i only had brown haired/eyed children, their kids could be blonde with blue eyes.

now, let's apply this to pets: if your pet gets a talent not in either parent's pool, it's possible that the grandparents (or previous generations) had that talent in the pool, even if it never manifested.

-von "science, baby!" shadowsong

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
I think hatching works as you get the moves of one pet, and the looks of the other. Your may cast locust swarm actually was on one of the parents, that parent just didn't have it unlocked. When hatching, pets look at ALL of the talents in the possible movepool, so if you don't get what you want the first try, keep trying. Hope I could help
Wolf Blood. Level 46 Master . One In A Million.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
When you hatch, you get a mix made up of all the possible talents from each parent. The talents that have actually manifested in the parents have a greater probability of manifesting, but not any guarantee.

Each pet has a range of possible talents in their gene pool. These can be found by looking at the pet descriptions on Wizard101 Central or on the Petnome project. The talents that actually manifest are determined at the time of hatching. When the pet is a mix of two different types of parents, the possible range now is open to the gene pools of both parents.

for more complete info, here are some helpful resources:
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Hatching_Pets#axzz3oGQAps2C

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Pets#axzz3oGQAps2C

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/