Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stupefy and Mundane

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Everyone is probably tired of seeing new spell suggestions but, sorry, I can't help myself, I have to throw my hat in the ring... here are some suggestions for aura type spells (maybe Star School?):

"Stupefy" -would be cast on an enemy and would nullify their spell mastery* for a period of 4 rounds. They would still be able to function normally but for the duration of the spell all of their pips would act as normal pips. No power pip bonus, so all spells would use pips at face value as if they were casting an off-school spell. This spell would best be used when it's obvious your enemy is gearing up for a big hit.
*This would include bosses that have multiple masteries and (in PvP for instance) the effects of Mastery Amulets.

"Mundane" -would be cast on an enemy and during the 4 round duration of the spell all of the pips they acquire will be normal pips. This spell would be best used after the enemy has hit and has very few pips showing.

In either case, casting their own aura (Amplify, Vengeance etc.) would cancel the effects of these spells.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
I've seen a few offensive aura ideas posted lately and overall I think offensive aura's are a worthy idea for implementation. Both of your spell suggestions seem very useful and balanced (can be played in pvp and pve). I could see myself using both, but mundane would be my favorite of the two.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
those names are a pretty good way to get kingsisle sued but i like the spells

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
technowalrus2332 on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
those names are a pretty good way to get kingsisle sued but i like the spells
I'm curious as to why you would think that. Is there some sort of copyright infringement issue I'm not aware of? Both words are legitimate and unless there are coincidental similarly titled magical spells in a different game, and those spells happen to have similar effects, I don't see where there would be a problem. I know the word mundane is used in Minecraft in relation to potion crafting but it's actually a base unit that has no effects on its own. And stupefy, when used in this context, is just another way of saying dazed or confused.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
TucsonWizard on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
I'm curious as to why you would think that. Is there some sort of copyright infringement issue I'm not aware of? Both words are legitimate and unless there are coincidental similarly titled magical spells in a different game, and those spells happen to have similar effects, I don't see where there would be a problem. I know the word mundane is used in Minecraft in relation to potion crafting but it's actually a base unit that has no effects on its own. And stupefy, when used in this context, is just another way of saying dazed or confused.
Stupefy is a spell in all Harry Potter books (and I assume games as well).

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
RavenLady777 on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
And Stun is a spell in pretty much every magical game, I don't see D&D suing over the use of a common word for a spell just because they used it first.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
RavenLady777 on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
That would explain why I'm not familiar with it. I don't know much about the Harry Potter universe other than occasional bits and pieces of the movies. Even so, as Seethe stated, using a common word shouldn't be cause for concern. If it were, KI would have to come up with something different for:
Sprite - soft drink
Earthquake - movie title
Leprechaun - movie title
Sunbird - model of automobile
Leviathan - movie title
Tempest - model of automobile
Wraith - movie title

and the list goes on...

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
seethe42 on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
And Stun is a spell in pretty much every magical game, I don't see D&D suing over the use of a common word for a spell just because they used it first.
I never agreed that they would get sued, I simply clarified what Stupefy was.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
TucsonWizard on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:
That would explain why I'm not familiar with it. I don't know much about the Harry Potter universe other than occasional bits and pieces of the movies. Even so, as Seethe stated, using a common word shouldn't be cause for concern. If it were, KI would have to come up with something different for:
Sprite - soft drink
Earthquake - movie title
Leprechaun - movie title
Sunbird - model of automobile
Leviathan - movie title
Tempest - model of automobile
Wraith - movie title

and the list goes on...
Again, I didn't stated that I agree that KI would get sued, merely pointed out the spell in Harry Potter.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
RavenLady777 on Aug 29, 2015 wrote:
Again, I didn't stated that I agree that KI would get sued, merely pointed out the spell in Harry Potter.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you made the original comment regarding legal ramifications. I was merely indicating that I wasn't familiar with the HP reference and following up with examples of why I didn't think my choice of names would necessarily be viewed as infringement.
All things considered the names aren't really important... the spell effects were the point of my OP.

Explorer
Nov 02, 2011
I really like your Idea! I hope they do make auras like that!

Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
These spells should not really be used in PvP turning their power pips into normal pips? and or turning their power pips into normal pips for 4 rounds is really bad and probably going to make PvP a lot broken but PvE yes it would be a great thing to add, but it is my opinion.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
TucsonWizard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
Everyone is probably tired of seeing new spell suggestions but, sorry, I can't help myself, I have to throw my hat in the ring... here are some suggestions for aura type spells (maybe Star School?):

"Stupefy" -would be cast on an enemy and would nullify their spell mastery* for a period of 4 rounds. They would still be able to function normally but for the duration of the spell all of their pips would act as normal pips. No power pip bonus, so all spells would use pips at face value as if they were casting an off-school spell. This spell would best be used when it's obvious your enemy is gearing up for a big hit.
*This would include bosses that have multiple masteries and (in PvP for instance) the effects of Mastery Amulets.

"Mundane" -would be cast on an enemy and during the 4 round duration of the spell all of the pips they acquire will be normal pips. This spell would be best used after the enemy has hit and has very few pips showing.

In either case, casting their own aura (Amplify, Vengeance etc.) would cancel the effects of these spells.
Aren't those Harry Potter spell names?