Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Game is too unforgiving and unrewarding at points.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 06, 2015
I am a level 47 Balance, and I am working on getting the next spell. I have already completed Dragonspyre and Celestia is far too difficult. I am doing side quests in Dragonspyre which is pretty much my only source of XP.

I have been doing side quests for a little over two hours and have only completed 2 or 3 for merely 2000 XP.

This is a massive headache for me and likely many other players. Can you consider buffing the size of XP gains on certain side quests? They can be very stingy with XP.

Anyone else agree?

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Noah the Sorcerer on Jul 15, 2015 wrote:
I am a level 47 Balance, and I am working on getting the next spell. I have already completed Dragonspyre and Celestia is far too difficult. I am doing side quests in Dragonspyre which is pretty much my only source of XP.

I have been doing side quests for a little over two hours and have only completed 2 or 3 for merely 2000 XP.

This is a massive headache for me and likely many other players. Can you consider buffing the size of XP gains on certain side quests? They can be very stingy with XP.

Anyone else agree?
I actually disagree. I just finished Mooshu on my storm at level 46 because of side quests.

The XP put me way over the level I should be; I was able to solo the Jade Oni, for pete's sake. Not solo, as in go back and fight him world's later, but solo him during storyline quest. I soloed Tree of Life.

I think the XP should be dropped not raised; ie... side quests done as they're given only raises you a couple levels past the world when you finish it.

Survivor
Apr 09, 2015
I am level 35 and think ti's reasonable, I can't really state my opinion because I haven't unlocked the world but the game has to get harder as you progress. If not, Imagine how boring It would be! I have been in a situatition like that. I just went back to other worlds and did quest finder and went on from there

Lenora Titan Flame Level 35 Sorcerer

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
There's already too much XP in the game. At your level you should be doing Wintertusk for XP boost to strengthen up for Celestia. If you skip all side quests in the game, you are still max level long before finishing the main story line so far.

Explorer
Sep 05, 2009
Doing side quests can give you a real big boost in worlds, not so much if you don't do them while your in the world as the XP will seem lower than what you have in main quests. I ended up level 96 by the end of Azteca on my myth because I did all the side questing

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
I think there is enough XP, and I think your level is pretty low for completing Dragonspyre already. I suggest keep doing the side quests.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010

Anyone else agree?
I wonder if it makes a big difference if the respondent is a player who uses first time through drop gear & stuff you can get in the Bazaar or if they are (like me) using Crown gear from almost the start of the game?

Maybe the game doesn't seem hard to me because I don't want it to be stressful - so I pay money for Crown gear. But I can imagine it would be a lot harder if I didn't have the boosts and defenses from Crown gear and very heavily worked up pets. (Which I also pay a lot of money for between Crown seeds, Mega Snack packs, Sea Dragon starter pet & energy elixirs for training when I get close to leveling up or know from Test training that Ancient & Mega were worth it.)

Personally, as a Crown gear player, I just wish they'd revamp the gear drops through the whole game (cause I start characters over all the time) so that gear drops were for the levels between the lowest level & highest level who actually play the area. Between if you only do the main line - as the lowest level gear dropped & if you play all the side quests. Even the gear we can buy in the world shops is way lower than the level you actually play the world at.

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
You're having this issue because you are supposed to be doing Wintertusk at that level.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Do sides, especially Wintertusk. There's enough EXP if you bother to get it.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
I recommend doing all the side quests you find. My life was exalted before eclipse tower and my storm level 40 and starting Mooshu. Early in the game, you are over 10 levels higher than people who speed through the game (main questing only) if you do side quests. Then as you reach high levels, it takes more xp to level up and there is a lower level gap. I found the game was easy if you do side quests. It is easy to solo worlds, with the exception of major dungeons. A good place to side quest would be Wintertusk. It is meant for around your level but it can be challenging but worth it for the experience. You will find it helps when you are level 60 and you get Waterworks gear.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2009
Please stop saying he's SUPPOSE TO BE doing Wintertusk at his level before Celestia. If anyone had noticed Celestia had came out waaay before Wintertusk, so back then Wintertusk wasn't really needed to start Celestia. A faster and simpler way would be finding someone to help you in Celestia like some of us did when the world first came out.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

Anyone else agree?
if you think the game is unforgiving/unrewarding now, just wait until you get to level 100.

i agree with seethe42 that you should be working on wintertusk, as it gives much better xp and will help you level up faster. my second wizard (death) also struggled with celestia (he only followed the main arc, so he was very underleveled when he started), so i had him complete wt first and sent him back to celestia at level 63.

@helenie nightseer~ yes, it does make a difference.

4 and a half years ago, i was a brand-new player still learning the ropes. my first wizard (balance) was my guinea pig; it took me a while to figure out how things worked, so i never used crown items and relied entirely on bazaar gear until the release of waterworks. by the time i got to my 3rd and 4th wizards, questing was a lot easier and i knew enough about crafted gear etc. that i didn't struggle nearly as much as i did at the start.

-von "it's all downhill from here" shadowsong
exalted

Survivor
Feb 25, 2010
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 15, 2015 wrote:
I actually disagree. I just finished Mooshu on my storm at level 46 because of side quests.

The XP put me way over the level I should be; I was able to solo the Jade Oni, for pete's sake. Not solo, as in go back and fight him world's later, but solo him during storyline quest. I soloed Tree of Life.

I think the XP should be dropped not raised; ie... side quests done as they're given only raises you a couple levels past the world when you finish it.
The reason we can gain levels ahead of the worlds is because KI have dropped the requirements for each world when initially we needed that boost of XP to actually get to the next world. I don't think the XP actually is much of a problem, i find it easy to solo all the way into zafaria, but why should they take that option away from people who enjoy soloing? It is difficult enough when you reach things such as azteca, i don't think it would be fair to make the entire game extremely difficult as it is aimed at all ages.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Hopeless Dreamer on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
The reason we can gain levels ahead of the worlds is because KI have dropped the requirements for each world when initially we needed that boost of XP to actually get to the next world. I don't think the XP actually is much of a problem, i find it easy to solo all the way into zafaria, but why should they take that option away from people who enjoy soloing? It is difficult enough when you reach things such as azteca, i don't think it would be fair to make the entire game extremely difficult as it is aimed at all ages.
It's not about raising the difficulty level. The XP is higher than needed. By the time you get part way through Khrysalis, skipping all side quests you are already maxed level. That makes no sense, it's all wasted XP to continue new quests until they raise the level cap. With sides you can be max level before finishing Azteca.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2010
seethe42 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
It's not about raising the difficulty level. The XP is higher than needed. By the time you get part way through Khrysalis, skipping all side quests you are already maxed level. That makes no sense, it's all wasted XP to continue new quests until they raise the level cap. With sides you can be max level before finishing Azteca.
It is because of the way they released the new worlds and dungeons as when you reached the level cap when it was lower than 100, the extra XP wasn't needed however as soon as a new release came out, the large amounts of XP was needed. I have been a player for a few years and have 6 characters, one of them is currently a level 85 and has just started Azteca. I have completed all side quests so far up to az, i don't see myself reaching 100 before finishing though as suggested. But as i said, it literally comes down to the timing of when they release the new content. If you finished everything when they had a lower level cap, when the new world was released, you levelled up normally however those who were previously not at the level cap with gain more XP given the fact you reached max before it had been extended therefore some will be much higher for worlds than others.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2015
Ruthless Anthony on Jul 16, 2015 wrote:
You're having this issue because you are supposed to be doing Wintertusk at that level.
I decided not to do Grizzleheim due to the fact that I only have membership for a month and I just wanted to run through the first 50 levels.