Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pay once and for all

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 17, 2011
In my opinion you should be able to buy the game instead of purchasing a monthly subscription this would a.) get more players to play wizard101 and b.) allow players to spend their money on something else

Pros
  1. More players wizard101 would become a lot more popular and maybe even more popular than minecraft!
  2. Allows players to spend their money on something else, players wont quit because they are spending too much money
Cons
  1. Expensive, it would be really expensive like 100$ or maybe more considering how big the game is and how much effort KI puts into it
Thank you -Aaron ThunderBreeze level 100 wizard

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You have this ability already with crowns. Once you buy an area it's yours forever for all wizards on that account. As the game expands, you have to buy new areas of course.

Explorer
Feb 23, 2015
10$ a month seemed like a lot of money to me at first too, but, if you think about it, 10$ a month is less than 40 cents a day. Add that to the fact that many of the best items in the game can be obtained through drops including seeds, mega snacks, equipment, reagents, and pets.

There are multiple shop items that can be purchased with gold including houses, some mounts, and most furniture.

While there are pets that cannot be obtained on your own without buying crowns and spending them, you can always search for players with the pet you want and hatch with them if they are willing.

The game is cleverly designed so that players pay an acceptable fee for a membership, but players cannot simply dump money into the game to get their hands on everything.

Everyone has to put an effort if they want to have the best of anything and a lot of that involves player interaction.

Social interaction, in my opinion, is the most important factor of any game whether it's cards, a board game, playing pretend, or a video game. KingsIsle seems to understand this fact because they've installed many instances in the game that benefit players of a certain level, but require those players to team up and cooperate.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
ash0421 on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:
In my opinion you should be able to buy the game instead of purchasing a monthly subscription this would a.) get more players to play wizard101 and b.) allow players to spend their money on something else

Pros
  1. More players wizard101 would become a lot more popular and maybe even more popular than minecraft!
  2. Allows players to spend their money on something else, players wont quit because they are spending too much money
Cons
  1. Expensive, it would be really expensive like 100$ or maybe more considering how big the game is and how much effort KI puts into it
I have a yearly subscription, and to be honest I find the price quite reasonable.

Being in Canada, the cost is going up (though KI doesn't actually get any more money) as the value of our dollar drops, so that's unfortunate. However for an entire year's worth of entertainment, it's still a very good value.

To put it in perspective, even if a subscription winds up costing me $80/year after exchange, one trip to a local arcade usually costs me $20, and that may give me about 1½ hours of entertainment. So I get 6 hours of entertainment out of $80.

With Wizard101, I get 24 hours/day, 365 days/year (366 in leap years, no extra charge) access. If I play an average of 3 hours/day, I'm getting 1,095 hours of game play. If I only play an average of 1 hour/day, I'm still getting 365 hours of game play. That's a heck of a lot more than what I'm getting at the arcade spending the same amount of money.

The up front cost of a yearly subscription may seem high, but it's a heck of a deal when you think of the bigger picture. $100 for permanent access is a steal! And as seethe42 suggested, buying areas with Crowns the cost is probably pretty close to that at the present time. I have both a Crowns and a subscription account. Though the Crowns cost at times has felt a bit expensive for some of the special dungeon areas (only because I don't use them as much as others do), I find both options to be great value for what I'm getting.

Explorer
May 19, 2014
ash0421 on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:

Pros
Cons
Be able to buy the game?

We aren't google lol but in all seriousness if i understand it right you mean buying all the stuff in the game with one big bundle?

Pros:

MONEY MONEY MONEY

Cons:

look im the OPest guy in game

I got everything and basically need no efforts to defeat anyone

Money just flew out the window

"I am more superior than you get on my level lol"

No one would buy it if it was $100 unless you was a real hardcore fan bathing in money

Lots and LOTS and LOADS of Bragging

Everything would be too easy.

Many parents will probably say no.

-Me

Survivor
May 17, 2011
yeah i know but i was thinking without crowns just because you have to keep paying when more areas coming out maybe a permanent thing like 120$ maybe more 120$ is about how much i paid to beat the game

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
well sorry to bust your bubble but how else is kingsisle going to make money to keep the game going it's really great that they already allow us to get 10 crowns from the trivia if you do 10 trivias a day you get 100 crowns and I for one don't want it taken due to a budget cause this helps some people so it's their way of making money to keep both games going. I think it should stay the way it is cause on other games like free realms ( which is no longer available to play ) had a membership with up too 100$ and Ki isn't that high, i'm grateful for the sales and the memberships up to 40$ its ok with me the way it is

Survivor
May 13, 2009
Right now you can buy all areas for about $155. That's with buying max crowns on sale only. If you don't catch the sales or buy max crowns it can get a lot higher. And as each world or area is added in more crowns. It is doubtful they would decrease the existing price for something the already offer.