Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Thank you for Darkmoor

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
This is a thank you post to the developers who made the Darkmoor side dungeon. This is one of my favorite updates to wizard101 PvE in a long time and I just wanted to express how much I appreciate this dungeon. Here are some of the great qualities of the dungeon.

1)It's side content- The fact that Castle DM is a side dungeon is important for several different reasons. First it ensures that no one who does not wish to participate has to. Secondly it means that difficulty can be adjusted beyond the typical main questline. This is important to keep balance in the game and to please the widest audience possible. Easy main game content aimed at everyone and tough side dungeons aimed at the "hardcore"

2)Its difficult- Finally a challenge that rises to us wizards and forces us to use spells and tactics we have not examined before. While some may advocate making the game challenging by using antiquated gear or removing pets' it is nice to have a challenge that is challenging when we are playing at 100% of our capacity. I also love how it allows wizards to use utilities we had all but forgotten. When was the last time doom and gloom was viable in PvE? How about enfeeble cooldown mass triage virulent plague- the list is extensive. DM allows us to expand our wizardly toolbox and use spells that we may have forgotten we even had.

3)Stunning art and design-DM has some of the best art and design I have seen in any wizard 101 area. From the beautiful shot of the full moon when we first set foot in DM and the sweeping vistas and hallways of the Castle to the seamless animation of the dragon it is clear that a great attention to detail and effort was put into this latest endeavor.

4)Great hidden storyline and references- DM has its own dark gritty side stories that leave a lot open for interpretation. One of my favorites is this hidden side story explored here.

5)Reasonable Drop Rate- From my tests(seen here) Castle DM has a drop rate that ranges from 30-40% on tier 1 items. This is one of the best drop rates in game and is much much better than Morganthe's almost non-existent drops. I hope to see more bosses with DM's reasonable drop rate in the future.

All these great qualities and a few more craft an incredibly enjoyable experience that I am truly appreciative of. With all the negativity surrounding DM out there I want the developers to know that I and many others thoroughly enjoy DM in it's current incarnation. Thank you once again for Castle Darkmoor.

Defender
May 09, 2010
I'm glad it expands upon the story, and for the most part I enjoyed my time delved into it. Although I don't particularly agree with the near absurd amount of time to put into it, and the relatively molecular drop rate percentages, I do think is a an almost welcome addition to the Wizard101 experience.

Glad to see some Positive Change. Keep it up.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I'm having fun with it too. Breaking it into sections was a good call. Same with the dungeons at the end of KR. It's much easier to find time for 3 dungeons with 2 or 3 fights than one long one with 4+.

The Darkmoor fights are entertaining and creative, and the Mali gear is great. I hope we'll see more such challenging and rewarding side content in the future.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
as much as i can't stand the battles themselves (more like i dread attempting to find a team and seeing miniscule drop rates after 4 hours), it might be different if i had regular questing buddies/better playable hours so i could actually find a group who would stick it out.

that all said, darkmoor is a beautiful world. i love the music, the design, how the story ties into the first arc. it's one of my favourites (right up there with dragonspyre), in terms of the story and art. and, while there are still a ton of plot-holes (*cough* bartleby's eye *cough*), it still brings a sense of closure... sorta. okay, not really. but the sentiment was there, so thanks.

-von "i obviously bought crowns and forgot because my membership is done and i can still post" shadowsong

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 1, 2015 wrote:
This is a thank you post to the developers who made the Darkmoor side dungeon. This is one of my favorite updates to wizard101 PvE in a long time and I just wanted to express how much I appreciate this dungeon. Here are some of the great qualities of the dungeon.

1)It's side content- The fact that Castle DM is a side dungeon is important for several different reasons. First it ensures that no one who does not wish to participate has to. Secondly it means that difficulty can be adjusted beyond the typical main questline. This is important to keep balance in the game and to please the widest audience possible. Easy main game content aimed at everyone and tough side dungeons aimed at the "hardcore"

2)Its difficult- Finally a challenge that rises to us wizards and forces us to use spells and tactics we have not examined before. While some may advocate making the game challenging by using antiquated gear or removing pets' it is nice to have a challenge that is challenging when we are playing at 100% of our capacity. I also love how it allows wizards to use utilities we had all but forgotten. When was the last time doom and gloom was viable in PvE? How about enfeeble cooldown mass triage virulent plague- the list is extensive. DM allows us to expand our wizardly toolbox and use spells that we may have forgotten we even had.

3)Stunning art and design-DM has some of the best art and design I have seen in any wizard 101 area. From the beautiful shot of the full moon when we first set foot in DM and the sweeping vistas and hallways of the Castle to the seamless animation of the dragon it is clear that a great attention to detail and effort was put into this latest endeavor.

4)Great hidden storyline and references- DM has its own dark gritty side stories that leave a lot open for interpretation. One of my favorites is this hidden side story explored here.

5)Reasonable Drop Rate- From my tests(seen here) Castle DM has a drop rate that ranges from 30-40% on tier 1 items. This is one of the best drop rates in game and is much much better than Morganthe's almost non-existent drops. I hope to see more bosses with DM's reasonable drop rate in the future.

All these great qualities and a few more craft an incredibly enjoyable experience that I am truly appreciative of. With all the negativity surrounding DM out there I want the developers to know that I and many others thoroughly enjoy DM in it's current incarnation. Thank you once again for Castle Darkmoor.
FINALLY! Someone who understands what the harder stuff and easy stuff is for! No to mention actually said something good about darkmoor!

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
Dr Von on Mar 2, 2015 wrote:
as much as i can't stand the battles themselves (more like i dread attempting to find a team and seeing miniscule drop rates after 4 hours), it might be different if i had regular questing buddies/better playable hours so i could actually find a group who would stick it out.

that all said, darkmoor is a beautiful world. i love the music, the design, how the story ties into the first arc. it's one of my favourites (right up there with dragonspyre), in terms of the story and art. and, while there are still a ton of plot-holes (*cough* bartleby's eye *cough*), it still brings a sense of closure... sorta. okay, not really. but the sentiment was there, so thanks.

-von "i obviously bought crowns and forgot because my membership is done and i can still post" shadowsong
I was pretty sure that Undying Malistare would of gotten his own ARC. where you get the Eye of bartleby back.

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
I think the drop rate was reduced to 20-30% and for the athame about 10-20%.

there are tricks to the dungeon.

I love the scenery for this. glad it was made a side world. would be even gladder if this was a questing world as well.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Dr Von on Mar 2, 2015 wrote:

Von I understand that you play at unusual times and I often do too. If you would like we could easily meet up and go on a few runs(presuming you bought dm as you stated your membership is up). Let me know what you think.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
I love Darkmoor and all the new dungeons. Great job KI!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 3, 2015 wrote:
Von I understand that you play at unusual times and I often do too. If you would like we could easily meet up and go on a few runs(presuming you bought dm as you stated your membership is up). Let me know what you think.
hi eric, and thanks for the invite~ i did buy all 3 dungeons, and i'm usually around between 5-10pm atlantic time (eastern +1, central +2, pacific +4hrs) during the week, but weekends are much more open. i'd love to meet you in-game.

-von

Survivor
Oct 31, 2014
Yes I love darkmoor dungeon reasonably challenging great gears just a best level hundred dungeon.Great job ki

-Jessica stormrider

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Dr Von on Mar 3, 2015 wrote:
hi eric, and thanks for the invite~ i did buy all 3 dungeons, and i'm usually around between 5-10pm atlantic time (eastern +1, central +2, pacific +4hrs) during the week, but weekends are much more open. i'd love to meet you in-game.

-von
I can accommodate those times. Let me know the date and preferred realm. We can meet by the Graveyard Sigil.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 3, 2015 wrote:
I can accommodate those times. Let me know the date and preferred realm. We can meet by the Graveyard Sigil.
hi eric~ if you're around tomorrow (friday) or saturday evening, i can meet you by the graveyard sigil in wraith 1. thank you so much again for everything.

i have to say, this is the first time i've seen any of the 'hardcore' players on this forum reach out, offer assistance or advice (beyond 'get better gear') to someone who is struggling. i sincerely hope that this is a new direction for the community~ my faith in people may yet be restored.

-von

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Dr Von on Mar 5, 2015 wrote:
hi eric~ if you're around tomorrow (friday) or saturday evening, i can meet you by the graveyard sigil in wraith 1. thank you so much again for everything.

i have to say, this is the first time i've seen any of the 'hardcore' players on this forum reach out, offer assistance or advice (beyond 'get better gear') to someone who is struggling. i sincerely hope that this is a new direction for the community~ my faith in people may yet be restored.

-von
Sounds like a plan! At what time would you like to meet up?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 5, 2015 wrote:
Sounds like a plan! At what time would you like to meet up?
i was thinking around 6pm atlantic time (i have no idea what time zone you're in); i hope this post makes it through moderation in time.

-v.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Dr Von on Mar 6, 2015 wrote:
i was thinking around 6pm atlantic time (i have no idea what time zone you're in); i hope this post makes it through moderation in time.

-v.
I'll be in wraith 1 today (Saturday March 7th) at 6pm Atlantic time by the graveyard sigil.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Mar 1, 2015 wrote:

While I have not gotten here quite yet is seems to me that Castle DM would be placed along the other side dungeons like Waterworks and Tartarus when there was a level cap. They do this everytime there is a major level cap where people are stuck waiting for the new world so they just farm it until the knew world comes out. If you are thanking them for this I think we should thank them for all the other dungeons they created for us after a level cap so that we still have something to work at and achieve! This includes waterworks and the Aquila dungeons!

-JohnAshdust 99